Has it really been so many?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Acid_Tin, Apr 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been 1,719 coalition troop deaths, 1,544 Americans, 87 Britons, eight Bulgarians, one Dane, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Hungarian, 21 Italians, one Kazakh, one Latvian, 17 Poles, one Salvadoran, three Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 17 Ukrainians in the war in Iraq as of April 8, 2005.

US and Coalition casualties in Iraq

There have been 212 coalition deaths -- 176 Americans, one Australian, four Britons, seven Canadians, three Danes, two French, 14 Germans, two Italians, one Norwegian and two Romanians -- in the war on terror as of April 7, 2005.

US and Coalition casualties in the War on Terror

790 UK servicemen and women have been injured to date (as have 11, 664 US).

How the Numbers Add Up

STAYING: US 150,000 (military personnel); Britain 8,850; South Korea 3,600; Italy 3,000; Australia 900 (up to 1,350 by April); Romania 800, up to 900; Japan 600; Denmark 500; Bulgaria 380; El Salvador 380; Georgia 300, up to 800; Mongolia 180; Azerbaijan 150; Latvia 120; Lithuania 100; Slovakia 100; Czech Republic 90; Albania 70; Estonia 50; Tonga 40; Kazakhstan 30; Macedonia 30; Moldova 25

GOING: Netherlands 1,500; Ukraine (1,650 leaving by October); Poland 1,700 (reducing by half)

GONE: Spain 1,300; Thailand 460; Hungary 300; Honduras 370; Dominican Republic 300; Nicaragua 115; Portugal 127; New Zealand 60; Philippines 50; Norway 10

I wonder who will be left in 2009? I don't think our commitment is in doubt - and rightly so - and the appointment of a UK 3* as DCG of a US Corps is an indicator of our intent if nothing else!
  2. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

A very quick calculation shows the odds of being killed if you're a

Yank - 1%
    Brit - 0.9%
    Italian - 0.7%
    Polish - 1%
    Ukrainian - 1%

What seems to stand out to me is how similar these numbers are. Why would that be? The Americans are covering the largest and most dangerous parts of the country but are only loosing 1 more person per 1000 than us. I appreciate that Basra/al amarrah are not not docile communities but never the less!

I also see that the Italians "only" lost 0.7%, despite being berrated elsewhere on this site for being useless. Did the bomb attack on their camp account for this?

A question for those in the know: Are these casualty rates a guide to the effectiveness of the soldiers working out in Iraq?
  3. I think more revealing is that if you factor out those killed in accidents, the KIA rate is much lower. The losses due to accidents in Iraq is 23.8% or 410 soldiers.

The US is looking at drawing down forces by the end of the year as well as changing the length of the tour of duty to 6 months. Both are a response to the lower threat in Iraq and an effort to keep the troops happy.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I seem to remember the Italians losing 17 in that bomb at the Carabinieri HQ in Nasiriyah. That alone is enough to push their stats up.

It was a VERY big bomb, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even the Italians. As I have posted elsewhere, they were - individually - generally very nice people.

God rest their Souls.
  5. Damn, I'll miss the Hondurans...
  6. I cannot believe we are managing without those 10 Norwegians. As for the Dominican Republic, that country is as poor as a church mouse, I am impressed they sent anyone.

Anyone got any stats relating to RTA's on various ops?
  7. The rest of the Italians died of fright and/or pasta poisoning.
  8. Amazing when you think the US also stormed at least three cities (Najaf & Fallujah x 2) since the fall of Saddam.
  9. And I'll miss the Phillipinos, but not for the same reasons...

10. Just book yourself into your local NHS hospital Interceptor, you will not be disappointed
  11. If you'll indulge me for a moment, but some revision is in order:

You need to factor in all personnel that have served since the start of the campaign (including those that have returned, not just those in-country at present. I'm sure the new result will have a calming effect on those in, or about to go to, the sandbox.

Sorry to be a pedant.