Has General Richards lost the plot?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by instinct, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Times article

Its reasons like this that I dont want the RAF amalgamated into the army. This idea has appeared on arrse several times and has always been shown as the complete folly it is. But now the head of the army? God it scares me that he has allowed to make policy if he comes up with ideas like that.

2. Yep he has definitely lost the plot. He should be looking along the lines of binning the whole of the RAF.

and Navy.

3. Funnily enough I asked if the Super Tucano would make a useful tool a year or two ago.
    The resident experts on winged matters explained it was a daft idea, I have no more reason to disbelieve them now than I did then....

I'm sure the good General is a very intelligent fella but unless the RAF, RN and Army get their collective act together and start presenting a united front on defence spending they will be guilty of letting this country down.
    The defence of this country does not hinge on the next few years in Afghanistan.
    If we cannot afford the tools to defend the UK and achieve success in Afghanistan at the same time then leave the Americans to it.
    The function of all three services it the defence of this country, non of the three can ensure that on thier own.

4. You planning on walking or swimming everywhere in the future then? :lol:

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Its alright. First Sea Lord is going about getting that done for you

6. I was reading the stats on the Tucano online the other day and there is a compelling case for them being our chosen air to ground platform. But it would be very much for "the war" not a war". And the light-blue would moan that that they don't go fast enough probably.

(although it would restore some class to the RAF, since we all know that flying stopped being gentlemanly with the advent of the jet engine)

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The idea of an integrated Armed Force, such as what the US Marine Corp is, seems to work in practice. Can't call them a complete folly. Bloody good and better to work with than either US Army or Airforce as it removes a lot of the internal politics that our armed forces fight against.

Like to explain why it would be such a folly? Or is it just UK historical prejudice getting in the way of a workable (but difficult to introduce) idea?

8. Virgin International have nicer passenger jets, and P&O can ship out vehicles and troops. Job jobbed.

9. Maybe the argies have a few Pucarás they could sell us?

10. Yep, we travelled back by Virgin Airways from Herrick 4. Much better than Crabways.

11. Mmmmh, were the hostess's wearing them red high heels like they do on the telly?

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Either that or the A10 maybe. Since the Afghans ran out of anti-aircraft missiles, stuff in the sky has been relatively safe to drop bombs with.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You miss the point. If the RAF were amalgamated into the army - perhaps as the Royal Flying Corps - CGS would be fighting tooth and nail to preserve the 'critical' JSF capability from the claws of the rapacious Treasury. As it's the Crabs, they can fuck themselves.

14. Yes they were. All in their red suits. They couldn't take their eyes off me!

15. You can see his point though. With the Army committed to AFG and that alone, with a constant stream of dead and wounded coming back to the UK, the average squaddie on HERRICK scans the skies for aid and who does he see ? The USAF. Oh, and Apache. With maybe the odd RAF ac now and again. Meanwhile, back on R&R he comes across the RAF press machine justifying spending eye watering sums on Typhoon which has, to date, delivered zero effect in theatre. And when ac are deployed the %ge of the fleet deployed is pretty pitiful. So, if you can't understand why the Army is increasingly hacked off with the RAF you haven't been paying attention.

That said, the General is wrong. Equipping only for "the war" is a really, really stupid thing to do. What else is he supposed to do though, given that we can't afford both at the monent ? Apart from lead a military coup, that is.