Has Coronavirus Killed The Bounty?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Is that some sort of septic expression? Do you mean postponed old bean?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why would it?

Bounty for this year is already earned.

Everyone is likely to get bounty next year for mobilising.

Is that some sort of septic expression? Do you mean postponed old bean?

Thank you, at last, WTF are we using this atrocious Americanism, its now on the TV, some dizzy bint of a news reader uttered it the other night, one of my daughters used it to describe her job, as being " Furloughed"

A Furlough is the American equivalent of leave, as in "I'm going on leave" Any self respecting true blue god fearing British born son of Albion, using this god forsaken expression should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Rant over, back to the pavilion for tea, and cucumber sandwiches.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thank you, at last, WTF are we using this atrocious Americanism, its now on the TV, some dizzy bint of a news reader uttered it the other night, one of my daughters used it to describe her job, as being " Furloughed"

A Furlough is the American equivalent of leave, as in "I'm going on leave" Any self respecting true blue god fearing British born son of Albion, using this god forsaken expression should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Rant over, back to the pavilion for tea, and cucumber sandwiches.
Summary. The two words, hung vs. hanged, are both the past tense of hang but have different uses in a sentence. Hanged refers to death by hanging, whether it be suicide or execution. Hung is used is all other references.

Hence, "He should be bloody well hung" is entirely different from " he ought to be bloody well hanged".

Summary. The two words, hung vs. hanged, are both the past tense of hang but have different uses in a sentence. Hanged refers to death by hanging, whether it be suicide or execution. Hung is used is all other references.

William Wallace was " Hung drawn and quartered" in what other context should I use HUNG ?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
William Wallace was " Hung drawn and quartered" in what other context should I use HUNG ?
William Wallace was hanged, drawn and quartered. Anyone says otherwise doesn't speak English proper like what I do.

William Wallace was hanged, drawn and quartered. Anyone says otherwise doesn't speak English proper like what I do.

Hanged implies until dead, he was hung until un-conscious, then lowered to be finally mutilated until dead. ....................And no, I didn't witness the event!

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
The use of "Furlough" as a verb/participle does seem to be a modern American usage, eg. "my job has been furloughed" however I have seen it used to mean "leave of absence" in British Victorian military biographies and such like.

However don't get me started on "fatigues" as (mis)used by some British newspapers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can I swap my Bounty for a Double Decker?

Hence, "He should be bloody well hung" is entirely different from " he ought to be bloody well hanged".
John Holmes was bloody well hung...

Latest Threads