And now the government is allowing farms to be sold off to the Chinese. All in the name of foreign investment

Chinese ownership of Australian farmland rises, American ownership falls
We were discussing this only last week with farming friends. I’m of the view that farming is a business. Just like any other, it carries business continuity risks. Sensible business make continuity plans to mitigate those risk

Drought is a very high risk to Australian farming, but the farming industry as a whole does stuff all to mitigate the risk. They’d rather invest in new machines than plan for drought partly because of the stupid tax system that encourages spend on capital assets and partly because they know they will get bailed out.

I’m all for foreign investment if it brings better business practices so that the rest of us don’t have to bail out badly run businesses every few years.

I’m all for foreign investment if it brings better business practices so that the rest of us don’t have to bail out badly run businesses every few years.
I'm with you on that, quite frankly I'm sick of the farmers consistantly asking for hand outs whenever a drought roles around every decade or so.

What I am worried about is China ramping up its territorial claims on land that it percieves as theirs. It's already happening in the South China Sea.

Will there come a day when they decide they need the food grown on the farms for their citizens rather than ours?

Lots of australian farmers and and breeders have not got the initiative or knowledge to run their own farms as a business , they just copy and put into practise what the nearest successful farmer does, 1996/97 20% of darling downs farmers,were alternate harvesting Cotton winter barley, and making a very good living at it, cotton price for 96 was $32000 australian per module from paddock to Gin, to successfully grow and harvest cotton you need large amounts of chemicals and lakes and rivers of water, which taken from local rivers and waterways,the de foliant used to remove leaves before harvest is practically the same as agent orange,, by 2000 80% of farmers were producing cotton, not alternating paddocks or leaving paddocks barren for ayear ,eventually knocking the arse out of the cotton market, but a side effect of arial spraying was the wind drift onto neighbouring beef properties contaminating all the beef so it could not be sold, the larger land barons have so much influence with local councils they took as much water as they wanted, leaving farms down stream ,with little or no water,when you think back,10 years ago an area of land as big as Germany and a bit more was under 6 foot of water for a period of 3 weeks, 6months later we were on 200litres perhouse per day water rationing!!the drought is a shocker but are the farmers in part fault too, because they thumbed their noses for years at the water and drought management authorities ,some farmers built ring tanks ha ha but if you dont manage them properly ,the water evaporates quicker than it could be illegally pumped from the creeks and rivers, here endeth the first lesson, as far as breeders go just one example,keeping parakeets as pets has always been afavourite with australian families, because there were only a few registered breeders prices were high for handraised birds,lots ofpeople started bringing in birds taken from the wild which is not illegal in NSW and WA resulting in the markets being flooded with neurotic full grown parrots and parakeets , disease ridden, when after a few yearsthey were having no success with sales of unringed birds they released their stocks into the wild,now we see the weirdestcoloured parakeets which are classed as vermin and the authorities and farmers put poison bait down for, while I personally regret the lack of food for the farm animals,maybe the farmers should buy less V8 Holdens for their 17/18 year old kids and put the money in water management and it would cut down the number of deaths on queensland roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of australian farmers and and breeders have not got the initiative or knowledge to run their own farms as a business , they just copy and put into practise what the nearest successful farmer does, 1996/97 20% of darling downs farmers,were alternate harvesting Cotton winter barley, and making a very good living at it, cotton price for 96 was $32000 australian per module from paddock to Gin, to successfully grow and harvest cotton you need large amounts of chemicals and lakes and rivers of water, which taken from local rivers and waterways,the de foliant used to remove leaves before harvest is practically the same as agent orange,, by 2000 80% of farmers were producing cotton, not alternating paddocks or leaving paddocks barren for ayear ,eventually knocking the arse out of the cotton market, but a side effect of arial spraying was the wind drift onto neighbouring beef properties contaminating all the beef so it could not be sold, the larger land barons have so much influence with local councils they took as much water as they wanted, leaving farms down stream ,with little or no water,when you think back,10 years ago an area of land as big as Germany and a bit more was under 6 foot of water for a period of 3 weeks, 6months later we were on 200litres perhouse per day water rationing!!the drought is a shocker but are the farmers in part fault too, because they thumbed their noses for years at the water and drought management authorities ,some farmers built ring tanks ha ha but if you dont manage them properly ,the water evaporates quicker than it could be illegally pumped from the creeks and rivers, here endeth the first lesson, as far as breeders go just one example,keeping parakeets as pets has always been afavourite with australian families, because there were only a few registered breeders prices were high for handraised birds,lots ofpeople started bringing in birds taken from the wild which is not illegal in NSW and WA resulting in the markets being flooded with neurotic full grown parrots and parakeets , disease ridden, when after a few yearsthey were having no success with sales of unringed birds they released their stocks into the wild,now we see the weirdestcoloured parakeets which are classed as vermin and the authorities and farmers put poison bait down for, while I personally regret the lack of food for the farm animals,maybe the farmers should buy less V8 Holdens for their 17/18 year old kids and put the money in water management and it would cut down the number of deaths on queensland roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are Johnny Tapp, and I claim my $5 race winnings.

Copacabana is the last bastion of sense on the Coast, just isolated enough not to attract too many daily commuters.

I’m biased; it’s home and I get to spend every weekend in Copa if I wish!
A scenic spot as I recall, just a bloody long way from the nearest pub.

[T]o successfully grow and harvest cotton you need large amounts of chemicals and lakes and rivers of water, which taken from local rivers and waterways,the de foliant used to remove leaves before harvest is practically the same as agent orange,, by 2000 80% of farmers were producing cotton, not alternating paddocks or leaving paddocks barren for ayear ,eventually knocking the arse out of the cotton market, but a side effect of arial spraying was the wind drift onto neighbouring beef properties contaminating all the beef so it could not be sold, the larger land barons have so much influence with local councils they took as much water as they wanted, leaving farms down stream ,with little or no water,when you think back,10 years ago an area of land as big as Germany and a bit more was under 6 foot of water for a period of 3 weeks, 6months later we were on 200litres perhouse per day water rationing!!
Another thing about cotton, it strips nutrients out of the soil like you wouldn't believe, which is why a lot of what used to be cotton growing land in the US is now bare of anything save "tumbleweed." It's the same old story as with tobacco, another voracious plant.

Yet another side effect of cotton is the fish kills caused in waterways by pesticides used in the cotton farming industry draining back into the water in creeks and rivers via tail drains, spray drift and so on. See: http://www.moreprofitperdrop.com.au...ERpak-6_1-Water-Quality-Catchment-Nth-NSW.pdf

One does much better to rotate cereal crops with legumes, which return nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil. Running a few animals such as sheep and cattle helps a lot too; a paddock or two can be let go back to grass and the animals let graze on it. Unfortunately that's too much like work for the cotton farmers and others.

A scenic spot as I recall, just a bloody long way from the nearest pub.
A quick walk along the beach to Macs surf club for weekend sundowners. A five minute drive to the local brewery that does vaguely passable English beers (if only he didn’t try making chilli bitter, wtf) Or ten minutes to three typically shyte Aussie pubs.

Oh and we’ve got a bottle shop. Quite pleasant to buy a longneck and walk over the road to the lookout.

In other words, it could be worse!

Has more than a hint of similarity to whinging UK trawlermen complaining about declining fish stocks.
Stop ******* hammering them day in, day out and they may start to replenish.

Great, here we go again, another leader up for the metaphorical chop (pity its not a real one)

Malcolm Turnbull's days are numbered. His time may even be measured in hours

I don't mind politicians getting replaced often (like nappies, for the same reason) but dammit I would like some stability and forward thinking from our supposed leaders.

Don't get me wrong, the sooner Turnball the SOB is shown the door, the better. The only problem is the guy who is odds on to replace him is a protege of Tony Abbott. Apparently, the other option is bringing Abbott back.

Please, call an election now so we can kick the LNP out now.

That`ll teach me to read posts at 4.00am. Same the whole world over I guess.

Great, here we go again, another leader up for the metaphorical chop (pity its not a real one)

Malcolm Turnbull's days are numbered. His time may even be measured in hours

I don't mind politicians getting replaced often (like nappies, for the same reason) but dammit I would like some stability and forward thinking from our supposed leaders.

Don't get me wrong, the sooner Turnball the SOB is shown the door, the better. The only problem is the guy who is odds on to replace him is a protege of Tony Abbott. Apparently, the other option is bringing Abbott back.

Please, call an election now so we can kick the LNP out now.
Looks like Turnbull survived.