US and Commonwealth Medical centres ( STD Clinics) in Mid and southern Thailand,staff discovered a strange virus, in blood tests,this was later labeled HIV,by then the cat was out of the bag!!

US forces made an excellent job of bringing HIV from the phillipines to thailand in the early 60,s
How did it get to the Phils from West Africa?

it is a train of thought that aids originated on the east coast of kenya, where it was called the slim sickness, it was rampant in the silversands area, in the late 70,s, it was so bad ,this area of the coast was put out bounds to all service personnell on Rand R, a pity really in the 50,s it used to be a favourite holiday goal for pads from Gil Gil and Kahawa

Sad but true, I have a similar outlook.
Furking people over and exploiting them is the only way to make a good living in the new reality.

When I was approaching school leaving age, UK was in rag order with 3.2 million unemployed (and I mean really unemployed, not those who have chosen benefits as a lifestyle). My own father became one of them. This shitty outlook was due to a recession.

The shitty outlook now is due to a new order.

I never thought I would ever agree with anything Marine Le Pen would ever say, but last year I saw an interview with her on the BBC (I think it was a Robert Peston docu on France's economic woes.
She was dsicussing a steel mill that had closed because of Chinese dumping of overcapacity in Europe. When talking about the EU and globalisation, versus the protection of workers' rights in France, she said that to recommend further liberalisation of free trade and globalisation she would be saying to the French that their children could all have jobs in the future, but at $50.00 a week.

Although it's a bit 'sound bitey', it's not far from the truth in the long run.
I saw that programme and I thought it was bang on the money. The open borders clique ( Hilary Clinton, Tony Blair, Nick Clegg, and the Hungarian speculator who made billions out of the British taxpayer on Black Wednesday-George Soros ) have a lot to answer for. Come the next global recession and the solids will hit the fan.

Le Pen is likely to be elected in the future. Macron is screwing the country up further.

US forces made an excellent job of bringing HIV from the phillipines to thailand in the early 60,s
HIV first found in Leopoldville Belgian Congo in the 20's, No?

Seems your predilection for Ladyboys got you in your own mess

HIV first found in Leopoldville Belgian Congo in the 20's, No?

Seems your predilection for Ladyboys got you in your own mess
IIRC, some gay bar loiterer has it in the 1950s and died. Some samples were kept from him and tested much later, and AIDS was evidentally confirmed.

It's even worse in Canada. The government is stealing infrastructure from the citizens to provide for the slave labor force they import for the scumbag 1%ers rich corporations. Even though polls indicate that over half of Canadians want an end to immigration, the government insists they know best and plan on actually increasing it.
They say immigrants don't take jobs or lower our standard of living, lies lies lies.

The youth unemployment situation is a direct result of immigration. Immigrants now make "full time" careers out of what were once only starter jobs for young people.

Schools have had to close athletic, music, programs, libraries, hospitals etc. all because of a flood of immigrants that don't even pull their own weight. A recent study shows that every immigrant is a net loss of $600 to the Canadian taxpayer.

The trucking industry has been allowed to turn into a menace as seen on macabre forms of entertainment such as "highway to hell", and "401 heavy rescue". If you ask any one on the front lines they will tell you all these accidents are almost exclusively caused by immigrants from India.

And it's all to make the ultra rich even richer.

The sad part about it all is that these large corporations that have the ability to influence government immigration policy, in truth, only employ a very small percentage of the population and are usually the ones involved in offshore tax sheltering of their profits.

Keep sleeping sheeple, the rich and their lapdog politicians sit around drinking and smoking cigars laughing about how easy it is to manipulate the idiot voter.

Saw last week that from July 2018, the minimum wage in Oz will increase to AUD18.93/hr (on current exchange rate that's STG10.83, while the adult minimum wage in the UK is STG7.83). That sounds like a cost of living that's potentially 1/3 higher than Britain's. Yikes!

Aussies discovered air travel and left. Others discovered Australia as a destination and replaced them.

I've got a few Aussie mates & acquaintances in the US. All of them fairly recent immigrants.
A fair few fair Aussie friends of mine left for the U.S. (those like to be less isolated in terms of opportunities or general isolation from the rest of world ) and some the U.K (those who like the history and the crappy weather, but like being in Europe). Some of them left because their bushiness hit the limit of Aus market, U.S was much bigger. Having said that some did go back as they missed their fam and mates...all pros and cons.

I do like Aus in general (might have to plan a trip again soon), have some fam and friends living there in Mel and Syd - I prefer Mel tho for long term living, enjoy my time there. Tho the cops and cams have turned into utter speed nazis and I hate driving there now, I generally avoid driving if I can now. One reason not to bother with bigger engined V8s, apart the higher gas prices compared to what they used to be. Most people I know just buy 4 cyl or 6cyl European/ Japanes cars which do the job of all the V8s, have Utes if they need one. V8s are a slowly dying breed around the world anyways, only gear heads or those driving pick up seem to have them now a days.

That said I do like a V8, like the smoothness and the easy going torque...

//apologize for the thread drift from Aus to V8s!

Na, it's truly shite, the economy's fucked.

Spent most of last year on the dole and am now back at work, on a contract, on the same hourly rate that I was on in 2006.

All the work in my field has been outsourced to Manilla or Bombay or is done by immigrants from India or China who entered the country as overseas students, obtained dodgy degrees ( was lecturing in one of the Uni's here in the 90's and you weren't allowed to fail an overseas student), and remained in the country to undercut local labour.

My kid and his mum are in Darwin(2000 miles away) as she's got a tenured job in the Uni there but there's no work for me up there which means that I've only seen my boy twice in the last year.

I'm in Sydney and it may as well be Bombay or Jakarta as the place has been taken over by Hajjiis.

At the same time, I'm paying $900 per week in tax, $35 for a packet of smokes and you can't rent an apartment in Sydney for less than $600 per week. Beer's $10 a pint, the telly' scrap and it's $6 for a kilo of tomatoes.

Place is a shithole and the cnuts running it ought to be shot.
But isn't that the case in most developed countries in most cases where lower skilled jobs are being slowly replaced by immigrants with lower wages or if possible, just plain outsourced? Upskilling or retraining is getting is almost a must, even some of my friends have had to learn new skills (even if they have a degree?) as job requirements are moving fast. Even I am thinking of it some point...

That said, there as long as there are a good amount of natural resources and the demand for it, the good paying jobs will exist, even if it's cyclical. Think of it like the oil industry where you earn a ton of money from time to time and but it's not constant, so just have to plan for it.

Aussie will be fine, as long as it;

Carries digging bfo holes in the ground to feed the Chinese and Western manufacturing economies... and continues to get good dollar for it.

Takes a sensibly pragmatic position on 'cultural integration' ... ditto, CANUKNZ.

Retains its strategic resources (and alliances).

PS, I also hate driving in Melb.. due to speed fascists. ... only Melb's bogun frat drive Holden Ute's now (RiP Holden) .. hipsters drive Euro carts and the normal peeps Asian cars... or tram/train it.

Yarra.

But isn't that the case in most developed countries in most cases where lower skilled jobs are being slowly replaced by immigrants with lower wages or if possible, just plain outsourced? Upskilling or retraining is getting is almost a must, even some of my friends have had to learn new skills (even if they have a degree?) as job requirements are moving fast. Even I am thinking of it some point...

That said, there as long as there are a good amount of natural resources and the demand for it, the good paying jobs will exist, even if it's cyclical. Think of it like the oil industry where you earn a ton of money from time to time and but it's not constant, so just have to plan for it.
Sorry mate!

I'm a member of two proper Chartered professional bodies (fellow of one of them), plus a Masters, a post grad cert, an honours degree (from good uni's) and a gong.

I'm buggered to understand how I can upskill any further.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry mate!

I'm a member of two proper Chartered professional bodies (fellow of one of them), plus a Masters, a post grad cert, an honours degree (from good uni's) and a gong.

I'm buggered to understand how I can upskill any further.
Change subjects and start again...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer the OP - no it hasn't. It's just as good/bad/indifferent as it was when I arrived 12 years ago.

Some sectors have gone to shit, some have got better. I've been fortunate to be in the employ of the government, so unaffected by resources boom/bust.

To answer the OP - no it hasn't. It's just as good/bad/indifferent as it was when I arrived 12 years ago.

Some sectors have gone to shit, some have got better. I've been fortunate to be in the employ of the government, so unaffected by resources boom/bust.
Nice cousin in Perth, previously Aberdeen/North Sea, was an oil & gas project manager on a billion dollar job; a few years ago there were 7 of those off WA.
Now there are none.
Outcome: some retired, some changed jobs, he has young children so rejected a fifo (fly in, fly out) role in the mines in favour of becoming facilties man (clipboard and wrench) @ his son's school.
Alas, his crazy wife seems slow to adjust to the lowered income levels....but difficult to blame the system for that one