Has Apple lost the plot?

I have enjoyed using Apple products for a while now. I'm not a Fanboi, I don't like the company all that much but the products have always been of the highest quality and iOS has usually been pretty good and app support was safe.

However since Steve Jobs sadly died it seems that the company has lost direction and quality.
iOS 8 is just not fit for purpose and shows a total lack of testing. Safari is slow, clumsy and not as nice to use as previous examples. Embedded you tube vids are a real pain to open. Battery life seems to be a lot less and I swear that connection within phone calls is a bit hit and miss now.
The new 6 was clearly not tested properly, it bends if sat on, although only an idiot leaves a massive phone in their back pocket, it still shouldn't bend so easily.

It's nothing special, just a bigger screen and a slightly better camera. iPhones and iPads have always been the best hardware because they have taken ideas from competitors, perfected them and added a couple of off the wall innovations that have made amazed consumers and competitors. Now it's just errr bigger and err that's about it. Other manufacturers are now leading in specific areas, amazing cameras, waterproofing, pretty good battery life, ruggedness, controls etc and they are also matching the quality of feel and standard of build that Apple were always respected for.

ITunes is still shite, it is slow on a PC, it screws your music collection up, it tries to force your music into the cloud so you cannot access your music if your out of wifi and have bad 3G. Idiots sell you a 64gb phone and then try to remove all of the music off it!

And finally, and totally indicative of how out of touch the company is........they pay millions for a washed up, shitty political band to advertise their new bendy phones. On what planet are U2 cool? They are a joke now, their best years are well behind them, they are the Steve Wright of rock bands.

God I hope the Windows phones like the Nokia 930 are as good as they first seem, also the Surface 3 is pretty impressive on paper. I may be jumping ship soon.

Are they making a short term profit? If so thats all that matters.

Are they making a short term profit? If so thats all that matters.

Not really the kind of strategy that you would expect for one of the biggest companies in the world though is it?
Long term profit, ideology and social engineering are, I would have though more their aim.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
cant say for certain i have followed Apple over the years, but am i right in thinking at some point they were renowned for not releasing something until 'it worked'?
Now, it seems to be a given that the new iOS version will come out annually around Sept/Oct with the phone a short time later. Tight deadlines often result in shortcuts...

All my stuff seems to work OK, the odd glitch here and there but fewer than I recall from trying to make an HTC work with a PC. But then I HATE personal stereos so any iTunes problems pass me by.

damented91

Clanker
ive never had a problem with apple and love fact that if it breaks within 12 months they replace it no question..iphone 6 is pricey tho and fact they hold back on features untill the 6c comes out annoys me, why not just wait for that rather than taking the first offering..makes no sense cos as soon as the 6c arrives your iphone 6 is worth not half as much!

I agree it's all well and good having a phone that does every thing bar shit for you its a shame that it need 24/7 charging.

And finally, and totally indicative of how out of touch the company is........they pay millions for a washed up, shitty political band to advertise their new bendy phones. On what planet are U2 cool? They are a joke now, their best years are well behind them,.

They're of a similar mind-set in so much as they both avoid paying tax, have exhausted Eire in the process and have since fooked off to Holland to continue the theme.

I'm not an Apple geek having brought windows based laptops for years now. I've always laughed at those who would go out and spend good money on Apple when they could have brought cheaper and just as good if they had not brought Apple.

I am a fan of what works though. If I'm going to do something, I don't like being messed around and that includes computers. We process pictures , lot's of them and that means we want something that we don't have to sit around watching while the light blinks furiously as the computer tries to keep up.

Apple fit's the bill. It's the top spec one though and it whizzes through the work. The other point is build quality. Stick the machine in it's protective cover and bung it into a camera bag. You obviously can't kick the thing around but provided you are careful, you can expect the machine to be in good working order when you pull it out to use it.

It's all metal construction with SSD drive are miles in front of plastic enclosed laptops where frankly, every time you use the thing after a journey, the thought is in the back of your mind that it might not work because you didn't manage to stop the bag bumping into that doorway as you trotted through it.

We have two of them. A 15" Macbook Pro i7 is the workhorse. My son who mainly uses it loves it. He's not someone who's easily convinced either. Spending £500 on a windows laptop or £2000 on a Macbook in his book would on the face of it seem like no contest. We aren't made of money! Having made the leap to Mac though, we wouldn't go back.

The other machine is an 11" Macbook Air which I use most of the time. It's i5 chip is still a pretty powerful processor and I can still use Lightroom and Photoshop when I need to. Again, it's a £1000 machine when I could have got a windows laptop for £400 but the build quality etc are just miles in front.

I also like OSX. We brought some windows based laptops with Windows 8 on them and I found them a nightmare to use. It wasn't just getting your head around the new stuff. You only had to touch the bloody thing accidentally with the slightest movement of the mouse and you were suddenly somewhere completely different thinking what did I just do? How the hell did I end up here!

We still use them for some stuff but the Macs are in constant use in comparison. As I said though, we use them because they work for us. That doesn't mean that everything Apple make is the answer to our dreams.

I brought an iPhone 5 not long after they first came out. It was a treat to myself. I'd been a Blackberry fan for some years but I thought they were going downhill. I thought time for a change, let's get up to date! I initially liked it. It seemed very easy to use and again, the construction was quite robust.

We were travelling quite a bit at the time and I needed frequent access to a booking system that we ran online. I'd brought a Chrome book and it was perfect for that. I also ran a billing system off it and again it worked very well. I needed to tether the Chrome book to the iPhone though for internet access. When it worked, it was ok but it was a real hit and miss story.

It was easy to make a judgement about the signal because my son accompanied me on a lot of these trips and he had a Nexus Android phone. If I was trying to get online and it seemed like I had a limited signal, I'd check with him what his signal was like. 9 times out of 10, he had a much better signal than me. In the end, I went out and brought a Nexus. I never looked back. It all worked perfectly.

So, Apple laptops in spite of the cost would get ten out of ten from me. The iPhone however is an overrated piece of technical junk that doesn't work anywhere near as well as a Nexus and the Nexus is less than half the price of the iPhone.

Nokia got better and better for years. I had an 8mp camera in 2008. My Nokia lumia has a 41mp camera which takes outstanding photographs.

However, Nokia phones are now crippled with Windows operating system. It is appalling. I will never buy another. The browser is one of the worst features. You end up with a great camera with some crappy phone features. Don't buy one!

I'll never buy Nokia again and I was a fan.

4(T)

LE
I wandered around an Apple store the other day, and was struck by how dated the products look now.

Although their phones, laptops, PCs and pad were design icons when launched, they have essentially remained the same. It quite ironic that Apple products are associated with the hipster generation, and yet the company has produced no quirky new gadget in nearly five years now.

I'm not an Apple user myself, but even with an open mind, my geekery gadget senses are not activated by their products now. As many commentators point out, even the brand new Iphone 6 has innards that are only comparable to a Samsung Galaxy S3 - ie two phone generations behind, soon to be three.

For me the evidence that Apple has painted themselves into a conceptual dead-end is the way they are belatedly - and in contradiction of Jobs' own declared philosophy - now moving into smaller tablets and larger phones. Oh dear, that puts them well behind the curve of the Android and even Windows competition.

ive never had a problem with apple and love fact that if it breaks within 12 months they replace it no question..iphone 6 is pricey tho and fact they hold back on features untill the 6c comes out annoys me, why not just wait for that rather than taking the first offering..makes no sense cos as soon as the 6c arrives your iphone 6 is worth not half as much!

They would have to under the Sale of Goods Act anyway. They aren't doing anything special for you.

Are you aware you look like Peter Andre?

@rjgbloke - cor, a macbook air AND a macbook pro - you sure you're not covered in the folding stuff ? :D
you need to go £700 and more if you want gear that approaches Mac laptops etc in the widows world - Lenovo yoga pro 2 is one worth a gander at. Slim, I7 chip and works good. Stick your own ssd in if you want fast boot etc. Not difficult and I've done two laptops in an hour.
Windows 8.1 isn't my favourite operating system, I must confess - old style XP worked perfectly well for me. In that respect, the Mac os appeals to the luddite in me lol.

@rjgbloke - cor, a macbook air AND a macbook pro - you sure you're not covered in the folding stuff ? :D
you need to go £700 and more if you want gear that approaches Mac laptops etc in the widows world - Lenovo yoga pro 2 is one worth a gander at. Slim, I7 chip and works good. Stick your own ssd in if you want fast boot etc. Not difficult and I've done two laptops in an hour.
Windows 8.1 isn't my favourite operating system, I must confess - old style XP worked perfectly well for me. In that respect, the Mac os appeals to the luddite in me lol.

They are an investment to make the business work better so they are worth the extra money. It's the build quality as well. Unlike the new iPhone, the laptops won't bend and yet they are still a robust and quite light piece of kit.

I have an iPhone and an iPad. They are OK but very limited in functionality. To me they are essentially toys, and very expensive ones at that. I only have them as Doris got a deal via her company so in terms of VFM they are OK. Free is good. I wouldn't pay for an Apple product. Any computing device which is essentially designed for the lowest common denominator (Septic kids) will always be limited.

If I want to do something useful I use a Windows 8 tablet, a W8 laptop or a W7 desktop.

Major gripes with Apple are the lack of a user interface; the appalling word processor, spreadsheet and presentation tool; Safari is rubbish; no support for torrents; iTunes is rubbish; no support for codecs like WMA etc etc etc. I could go on all day.

The only genuinely productive thing I can do on the iPad is to use MS Office via CloudOn. (I don't understand why this allows you to edit Office documents but "Office For iPad" only allows you to read them - MS not wanting to make iPads useful I suppose).

I detest Apple's market segmentation. Not being able to upgrade IOS on earlier iPads for example. Doris had a huge 27" iMac which could only go up to 4Gb of memory, which was not enough for photo editing. The screen was lovely so the easy upgrade plan would be a Mini Mac driving the screen. Easy to do with virtually any PC and screen ever made. Impossible with Apple as they have frigged the drivers to make it a non-starter.

And they can FRO with that U2 rubbish.

And Jobs was a major rudeword. A cantankerous old rudeword who made Bill Gates look like a model of philanthropy (err, hang on a minute).

Wouldn't have an Iphone as a gift, IOS is shite, my Android updates come in regularly and, more to the point, work after the update, same with my Tablet ! :)

As for Apple Macs, living on a past reputation and, to expensive, pretty and pricey ! :rolleyes:

Windows PC and, Linux Laptop for me, strange that one of the best selling programs for the Apple Mac range is.............a Windows emulator ? :confused:

Wouldn't have an Iphone as a gift, IOS is shite, my Android updates come in regularly and, more to the point, work after the update, same with my Tablet ! :)

As for Apple Macs, living on a past reputation and, to expensive, pretty and pricey ! :rolleyes:

Windows PC and, Linux Laptop for me, strange that one of the best selling programs for the Apple Mac range is.............a Windows emulator ? :confused:

Welcome to the I Hate Crapple club.

Of course the best selling software on Crapple would be MS Office but Microsoft ain't stupid.

Edited to add that it IS the best selling third party software on Macs.

Latest Threads