Has Anyone Seen Dave, the Banker?

#1
Apparently Dave hasn't heard about the great bank selloff the Tories are planning if they get into power. Instead of recovering the money and making a bit of profit they are going to sell off the shares to the poor and young, offering them 'special deals'.

This begs several questions. How the hell are the young and poor going to afford the money to buy the shares?

How are they going to be able to keep money tied up in shares whilst waiting for their dividend, especially since many of the poor will have any benefits adjusted and so will have a de facto drop in income by owning them?

Won't this adversly affect shares in the banking sector?

Will this reverse the drop in the polls the Tories are seeing at the moment?




My own opinion? This policy will only benefit Dave, the Banker.
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
How much do Labour pay you to agitate on their behalf again? Is it per reply, or a monthly stipend?

Truly amazing - only in the UK (possibly Italy too, where a ridiculed and corrupt politician can get re-elected Prime Minister after being hounded from Office before) can we take it up the arrse by a morally bankrupt administration who have brought us to the brink of financial ruin whilst exposing their own greed and untrustworthiness - and we still look like wanting to keep them in power. It's like the beaten wife scenario - 'I love him, even if he walks all over me, treats me like sh1t and lies to my face'.
 
#4
Command_doh said:
How much do Labour pay you to agitate on their behalf again? Is it per reply, or a monthly stipend?

Truly amazing - only in the UK (possibly Italy too, where a ridiculed and corrupt politician can get re-elected Prime Minister after being hounded from Office before) can we take it up the arrse by a morally bankrupt administration who have brought us to the brink of financial ruin whilst exposing their own greed and untrustworthiness - and we still look like wanting to keep them in power. It's like the beaten wife scenario - 'I love him, even if he walks all over me, treats me like sh1t and lies to my face'.
Didn't you read the article then, or at least the heading?
 
#6
Must be a Good Idea bit like Maggie making Council houses available to occupiers.
Sell off the banks to the many, Phew Labour won't like that will they ?
john
Not surprised Dave knows nothing, par for him.
 
#8
What's up Whet/Sven? Isn't the tax that you sponge off me and other taxpayers enough for you to buy any shares in this possible venture???
 
E

EScotia

Guest
#9
exile1 said:
What's up Whet/Sven? Isn't the tax that you sponge off me and other taxpayers enough for you to buy any shares in this possible venture???
What he said but adding that people in receipt of MoD pensions will now have their pension taxed at 40% to enable the corrupt Labour Party to "feed" their supporters :x
 
#10
So the potential new Government want to sell the banks off (as well all already knew they would at some point) and they want the main beneficiaries of that sale to be the normal 'man on the street' rather than hedge funds and billionaires?

Who'd have ever thought they'd see the day when Labour's mouthpiece would go against that?
 
#11
Well at least they (Tories) plan to get some money for the Banks rather than giving them away for the Bankers only to pay themselves big bonuses care of us! Something is not quite right with Labours deluded logic.
 
#12
jimmys_best_mate said:
So the potential new Government want to sell the banks off (as well all already knew they would at some point) and they want the main beneficiaries of that sale to be the normal 'man on the street'..........
.
I thought the "man in the street" already owned some banks(?) Will "we" be offered the chance to buy RBS et al again?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
Dave hasn't really thought this one through has he?

The government has used OUR money to bail out the banks and thusly WE own those shares. He is now suggesting that they will offer those same shares we already own to us again, so we can buy them again.

Ponzi never had it so good.
 
#14
Whet said:
Apparently Dave hasn't heard about the great bank selloff the Tories are planning if they get into power. Instead of recovering the money and making a bit of profit they are going to sell off the shares to the poor and young, offering them 'special deals'.

This begs several questions. How the hell are the young and poor going to afford the money to buy the shares?

How are they going to be able to keep money tied up in shares whilst waiting for their dividend, especially since many of the poor will have any benefits adjusted and so will have a de facto drop in income by owning them?

Won't this adversly affect shares in the banking sector?

Will this reverse the drop in the polls the Tories are seeing at the moment?




My own opinion? This policy will only benefit Dave, the Banker.
First bold. My youngest is 23 and at Uni - I'll buy them for him. Anyhoo how come we still have poor after13 years of a Socialist Gobment? Oh wait ...it was Thatchers fault.

Second bold - if it does you will be in tears.

Third point - it is a like a Ponzi scheme Biped - but it will raise much needed cash and as we don't know the true state of the economy..... :evil:
 
#15
Biped said:
Dave hasn't really thought this one through has he?

The government has used OUR money to bail out the banks and thusly WE own those shares. He is now suggesting that they will offer those same shares we already own to us again, so we can buy them again.

Ponzi never had it so good.
Is that not precisely the basis upon which all privatisations occur: Governements selling people that which they already "own"?

The bank shares have to be sold at some point and the "discount" will be by reference to whatever bogus valuation is put on these by HMG at the time , not the cost. They are not going to be free,

If people are willing (or perhaps more accurately able) to proceed on that basis and thus relieve the Government balance sheet of a crippling burden, all well and good. Not a very bright idea to try and make this a mainplank of "policy" though, it is just an electoral bauble
 
#16
DemsMaShoes said:
jimmys_best_mate said:
So the potential new Government want to sell the banks off (as well all already knew they would at some point) and they want the main beneficiaries of that sale to be the normal 'man on the street'..........
.
I thought the "man in the street" already owned some banks(?) Will "we" be offered the chance to buy RBS et al again?
And theres the rub!
 
#17
DemsMaShoes said:
I thought the "man in the street" already owned some banks(?) Will "we" be offered the chance to buy RBS et al again?
In that the 'man in the street' owns everything the Government owns, yes.

But the shares are going to get sold at some point. Would we rather that normal people were given a chance to buy them at a discount or would we rather they were sold to hedge funds and the already rich?

Biped said:
Dave hasn't really thought this one through has he?

The government has used OUR money to bail out the banks and thusly WE own those shares. He is now suggesting that they will offer those same shares we already own to us again, so we can buy them again.

Ponzi never had it so good.
The Government has to sell the shares at some point, no matter who buys them.

Selling them to anyone is the equivalent of selling ex-military Land Rovers off through Withams - you 'own' those Land Rovers just as much as you own the shares in the banks the Government helped and when the Government doesn't want them anymore they're sold off to the public.

Do you expect the Government to give everything they own away for free when it's nolonger wanted?
 
#18
Blogg said:
Biped said:
Dave hasn't really thought this one through has he?

The government has used OUR money to bail out the banks and thusly WE own those shares. He is now suggesting that they will offer those same shares we already own to us again, so we can buy them again.

Ponzi never had it so good.
Is that not precisely the basis upon which all privatisations occur: Governements selling people that which they already "own"?

The bank shares have to be sold at some point and the "discount" will be by reference to whatever bogus valuation is put on these by HMG at the time , not the cost. They are not going to be free,

If people are willing (or perhaps more accurately able) to proceed on that basis and thus relieve the Government balance sheet of a crippling burden, all well and good. Not a very bright idea to try and make this a mainplank of "policy" though, it is just an electoral bauble
The problem isn't really who they are sold to or who owns them, the problem is that shares sold at a 'discount' will represent money that was borrowed that isn't being paid back. If they are sold to the public at the market price, maximum revenue will be generated, and hopefully we will be able to cover the cost of the buy-out. Sell for anything less and the gap will have to be plugged by more borrowing, higher taxes, and public service cuts. If effect, the entire country will be subsidizing a shares sale to those few with enough cash to dable in such things.
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
Whet said:
Command_doh said:
How much do Labour pay you to agitate on their behalf again? Is it per reply, or a monthly stipend?

Truly amazing - only in the UK (possibly Italy too, where a ridiculed and corrupt politician can get re-elected Prime Minister after being hounded from Office before) can we take it up the arrse by a morally bankrupt administration who have brought us to the brink of financial ruin whilst exposing their own greed and untrustworthiness - and we still look like wanting to keep them in power. It's like the beaten wife scenario - 'I love him, even if he walks all over me, treats me like sh1t and lies to my face'.
Didn't you read the article then, or at least the heading?
Yes, why?
 
#20
Whet said:
Apparently Dave hasn't heard about the great bank selloff the Tories are planning if they get into power. Instead of recovering the money and making a bit of profit they are going to sell off the shares to the poor and young, offering them 'special deals'.

This begs several questions. How the hell are the young and poor going to afford the money to buy the shares?

How are they going to be able to keep money tied up in shares whilst waiting for their dividend, especially since many of the poor will have any benefits adjusted and so will have a de facto drop in income by owning them?

Won't this adversly affect shares in the banking sector?

Will this reverse the drop in the polls the Tories are seeing at the moment?




My own opinion? This policy will only benefit Dave, the Banker.
I wonder where all the poor council tenants found the money to buy their council houses when Maggie liberated them?

Have you ever thought of having a synapse transplant? This could enable more of your brain cells (assuming there's more than one) to communicate with each other hopefully engendering a little more thought before you post things.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts