Has anyone partaken in a 'Monte Carlo or Bust' style banger rally?

This is allegedly very good, a boxhead mate was planning to do it and we lost contact when he got deployed and then vanished into the ether..as some people do, doubtless he will turn up again.

I would have a go if and when I get back to the UK, if anyone fancies a bash.

http://www.budapestbamako.org/en

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Montigny_La_palisse

He's your man for this sort of thing. A few years back him and 2 other matelots drove a Nissan Micra to Mongolia.

They raised a fair bit of wedge for charity and gleaned a fair bit of publicity. He'll obviously be able to give you the full low down, but it looked ******* awesome.

I think the the RN were fairly sound about the whole leave situation because it was good publicity.

I seem to recall it took them about 6 weeks.

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My son did the Mongol Rally in 2015, from Goodwood to Ulaan Bhattor (spelling). It appears the car of choice is a Nissan Micra, tough as old boots and a chain driven cam, important for reliability. My lad managed to cover the distance in two and a half weeks and arrived there first of an entry of 250. Details can be had from the Adventurists web site.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My Nephew and a few Uni mates ( farmers sons) are going to do the Mongol this year
after several unsuccessful bids on Lads and other old weird stuff, they scored a Skoda Fellatio estate
its running ok and is going ot be receiving a service soon
any one got any useful tips
things to carry, essential dodges etc
the car might end up customised as a cow as its a cow fondling Uni they study at
will post a picture later of the beast

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My Nephew and a few Uni mates ( farmers sons) are going to do the Mongol this year
after several unsuccessful bids on Lads and other old weird stuff, they scored a Skoda Fellatio estate
its running ok and is going ot be receiving a service soon
any one got any useful tips
things to carry, essential dodges etc
the car might end up customised as a cow as its a cow fondling Uni they study at
will post a picture later of the beast
What ever you do make sure that they change the cam belt for a new original equipment variety. You can buy a cheaper copy but it is no good having saved two quid when you are stuck on the side of a dusty track 310 miles from help. Fuses, slave leads, tow ropes and spanners, a foot pump. Don't forget they need to get the car out of Mongolia before they scrap it at the finish, the financial penalties for not doing so are imense, my son sent his to Russia to scrap

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What ever you do make sure that they change the cam belt for a new original equipment variety. You can buy a cheaper copy but it is no good having saved two quid when you are stuck on the side of a dusty track 310 miles from help. Fuses, slave leads, tow ropes and spanners, a foot pump. Don't forget they need to get the car out of Mongolia before they scrap it at the finish, the financial penalties for not doing so are imense, my son sent his to Russia to scrap
Luckily the Skoda Fellatio is an all alloy engine with a cam chain, the cost of replacing a cam belt will make a big dent in the funds, I think thats why they avoided all cars with them
I am not sure if they are going to drive it home or flog it in russian, being a skoda should make it easy to sell there
hadnt thought about spare fuses I will add that to his list, they are all using the car as a general runabout to shake it down, but its got a service history and runs well, no errant noises or clunks
what car did your Son use ? and did he gain anything from the experience ?