Has anyone heard of a candidate passing Main Board with a Cat 3 from Briefing?

I was awarded a Cat 3 at Briefing. Shall I just call it a day or should I take my chances? I mean, if they thought I had no chance, they would have given me a Cat 4. Right? I mean, why even have a Cat 3/Cat 4. If Cat 3's have virtually no shot, why not just lump them with Cat 4's and have three categories: Cat 1 (proceed), Cat 2 (proceed after...3, 12, 24 months), and Cat 3 (you cannot proceed).

So, I guess it must be the case that some Cat 3's do pass Main Board. So, does anyone know of (personally or via six degrees of separation) of any Cat 3's who passed Main Board.

I was awarded a Cat 3 at Briefing. Shall I just call it a day or should I take my chances? I mean, if they thought I had no chance, they would have given me a Cat 4. Right? I mean, why even have a Cat 3/Cat 4. If Cat 3's have virtually no shot, why not just lump them with Cat 4's and have three categories: Cat 1 (proceed), Cat 2 (proceed after...3, 12, 24 months), and Cat 3 (you cannot proceed).

So, I guess it must be the case that some Cat 3's do pass Main Board. So, does anyone know of (personally or via six degrees of separation) of any Cat 3's who passed Main Board.
Yes, around 18 years ago, a co-inmate of mine at Blandford biffed his Technician's course, retraded as a signals storeman, biffed that too and then finally chose to leave.

I'd heard that he'd ended up getting commisioned as an Infantry officer. I last saw him in 2005/2006 wearing a D&D capbadge and three pips. Having a quick chat with him, it turns out that he'd left Blandford, his old man read him the riot act, went to Westbury(?), was given a Cat 3, but managed to scrape in.

If he can do it anyone can, the guy is pleasant but thicker than a whale omelette.

I have no idea what I got at briefing and I guess that's the same for most after they pass main board. Once you've passed, you've passed.

Why not give main board a go? The worst that can happen is you fail and then you either try again or get on with your life.

On the other hand, think carefully at what you were told on your debrief and have an honest look at how you performed on the briefing, how you related to others and they to you. Were you the star of the show or were you struggling a bit? Then, decide if your (lack of) performance was a one-off, you were having a bad day, were a bit phased by the experience etc and that you will perform better at main board, or decide that you have got some areas to address before you tackle main board.

If you genuinely have the right stuff and were just having a bad day, then all should be well and you will arrive at the gates of RMAS in a good place to perform on the course.

But, if you go rush ahead with some serious weaknesses and scrape a 'risk' pass at Main Board, you will find yourself on CCC having a pretty miserable time as you bounce from Pl Comd's to Coy Comd's to College Comd's warning, receive endless command appointments all with the risk of back terming if they go tits up or being binned altogether. The poor performers in my company were haunted men with the stench of death about them. Go to main board, but set yourself up for success not only there but also RMAS.

I was given a Cat 3 in 1997, I couldn't be arsed maturing - so joined up as a Tom instead.

No briefing in my day as from the ranks. RoCo made up for it! Go for it anyway and have fun. If you get in great, if not enlist and have a ball.

I thought age was a factor they take into consideration when evaluating candidates?
It is, but sometimes people can present poorly even with age taken into account, and they then mature 'more than average' before MB

I do know of people getting past MB following Cat 3's, but they are a minority.

How old are you, and are you in university? if so try an OTR/OTC for a year or 2 to get more rounded, if not then maybe the AR might help?

It is, but sometimes people can present poorly even with age taken into account, and they then mature 'more than average' before MB

I do know of people getting past MB following Cat 3's, but they are a minority.

How old are you, and are you in university? if so try an OTR/OTC for a year or 2 to get more rounded, if not then maybe the AR might help?
lol I'm a STAB not interested in getting commissioned for the foreseable future (tbf I don't know how anyone in the private sector would have the time to do the AR commissioning course). A guy in my unit got a CAT3 and crashed+burned miserably at main board.

RoCo for Briefing is a pretty sh!t swap!
Ten weeks of a pretty sh!t swap:frustrated:. Fifty started about 20 finished not including at least one who made it to the final photo. But oh the joy - Mess Tin Order at 0300hrs!

Ten weeks of a pretty sh!t swap:frustrated:. Fifty started about 20 finished not including at least one who made it to the final photo. But oh the joy - Mess Tin Order at 0300hrs!
:) 50->20 sounds about right. I think mine was 24. There was a thread elsewhere about RoCo where someone posted a stat from RMAS claiming an average 70% pass rate. We were all pretty sceptical, either that or the final courses were somewhat 'dumbed down'. The short-lived 'Senior RoCo' for grads in 1984 lasted 2 courses. the course photos were awesome - the whole RoCo DS team plus 4 surviving students on each. I think they are still hanging in some forgotten corner of Victory Building

lol I'm a STAB not interested in getting commissioned for the foreseable future (tbf I don't know how anyone in the private sector would have the time to do the AR commissioning course). A guy in my unit got a CAT3 and crashed+burned miserably at main board.
But at least he had the bollox to try :)

BTW there are some changes afoot with AR commissioning to make it slightly more achievable for someone in employment.

:) 50->20 sounds about right. I think mine was 24. There was a thread elsewhere about RoCo where someone posted a stat from RMAS claiming an average 70% pass rate. We were all pretty sceptical, either that or the final courses were somewhat 'dumbed down'. The short-lived 'Senior RoCo' for grads in 1984 lasted 2 courses. the course photos were awesome - the whole RoCo DS team plus 4 surviving students on each. I think they are still hanging in some forgotten corner of Victory Building
(Edited to add.. the photos are in VB, not the students' cadavers - they're somewhere on Hankley Common, probably).

Don't use that word ST@B it belittles you and the Army Reserve and to be honest don't bother, you don't seem cut out for it with that attitude.

I was awarded a Cat 3 at Briefing. Shall I just call it a day or should I take my chances?
What have you go to lose? If you go and fail, you know it wasn't meant to be. If you don't go, you'll always wonder.

If they didn't want you back, they would've told you not to come back.

So even the Officer Selection Board thinks that our John is a bit dim?
I'd never have guessed.

Lol. And still I was able to run circles around you in the other forum. Think about what that says about you.
Ummm. You rang rings around me did you? What? By resorting to 'Lol?'
Yep. Of course you did John.
Your parents must be so proud of you.