Has anyone ever lived in Shepperton

I have been offered a married quarter in Shepperton and wondered if anyone could provide any info on the area, houses, schools? I have yet to find anyone who has ever lived there, so any knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks

i live close to the area, and one of my bezzers was schooled in the area, several fine schools in the area and near by, and a golf course or two i believe

this site should help
Shepperton info

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The HIC seems to be trying to fob people off with Shepperton at the moment.

If you didn't ask for Shepperton, it is worth fighting your corner.

The WO1 in the HIC is the chap to speak to - he is an absolute star and can get things squared away.

C_C

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want decent Schools, press for Kingston - also, a lot easier to get into Town from there.

And Twickenham....

I livbed in Shepperton for 5 years, and now live nearby in Staines. Its a pleasant enough area, I'd recommend Thamesmead on Manygate Lane as being the best local secondary school, and St Nicholas C of E as the best primary. For sixth forms, Brooklands in Weybridge is the best bet, as Strodes in Egham has a bit of a rep for drugs and high drop-out rates. As for nights out, contrary to the Ali-G reputation Staines isn't so bad, plenty of restaurants, and you're on the trainline for Kingston and central london.

The quarters are very small (not certain how many bedrooms) with virtually no garden. Plenty of friends have had to put furniture into storage whilst there. I took the advice that when looking for a London quartering patch not to go there with too many kids otherwise you'd be living on top of each other!

northern_sange said:
The quarters are very small (not certain how many bedrooms) with virtually no garden. Plenty of friends have had to put furniture into storage whilst there. I took the advice that when looking for a London quartering patch not to go there with too many kids otherwise you'd be living on top of each other!
Is that shepperton? or kingston?

Sorry, Kingston. The quarters in Shepperton are quite nice. Never been upstairs, but the downstairs livingroom/dining room are nice and large, kitchen can just about get a table in it if you need to. The garden wasn't exactly Hyde Park but the plus side is you'll not spend an entire Saturday mowing the lawn.

ABBA1303 said:
Can anyone give any info on Nell Gynne Ave houses?
Why not take a look --> Clicky

Get rid of the bar on the left and zoom in so you can see the house numbers.

Theres an option to go full screen as well, which is nice :D

what grades of accommodation are these houses? Are they in good repair and what are the insides like?

(intruding naval officer!!! looking for a surplus quarter in london)

Shepperton is OK, Laleham down the road has some nice parts; Sunbury has some very nice bits. The closer you get to London, the more stratospheric prices become. I went to school in Hampton and know the area pretty well.

Depending on where you actually work, might also be worth looking into Twickenham, St Margarets, Teddington, Hampton.

I think as I am based outside of London and will be looking for a surplus quarter, i will be accepting a limited choice. Shepperton was briefed to me as being the most likely. It seems fairly handy for Heathrow (flights to Glasgow). Is this a thriving patch with high occupancy or is it being used as temporary and transient accomodation?

I think as I am based outside of London and will be looking for a surplus quarter, i will be accepting a limited choice. Shepperton was briefed to me as being the most likely. It seems fairly handy for Heathrow (flights to Glasgow). Is this a thriving patch with high occupancy or is it being used as temporary and transient accomodation?
It's quite full but there are some empty quarters and it's certainly not transient accommodation or even temporary. The houses look a bit miserable from the outside but have stacks of space on the inside especially downstairs. LHR is a 15-20 min drive away or an hour on the bus (which stops right outside the patch), the M3/25 are ten minutes away (or less) and a train ride into London can take about 25 mins from Walton on Thames which is ten minutes away on a pushbike or about an hour from Shepperton station which is about five mins walk away.