Has anyone ever glided with the Army?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by barbarasson, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Yes, it was the best AT weekend ever.

2. No, I turned down the opportunity.

0 vote(s)
  3. No, I missed the gliding weekend when on TELIC.

0 vote(s)
  4. FFS...

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just seen the new TA advert (though it seems vaguely familiar) I have to say, doesn't it seem obviously to be marketing bo11ocks?
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Has anyone ever glided with the Army? My great uncle did, and so did a load of his mates...
  3. A good friend of mine is President of the UoE gliding club at Watisham. Their weekend exploits with the Army Gliding Association have become the stuff of legends and I myself have suffered rather too many hangovers in their company.
  4. Mrs FW did it at Wattashame earlier this year. She hasn't been in long and didn't have any trouble getting a place. I'll vote on her behalf as she hasn't registered here...yet :D
  5. September 1944 I presume? :)
  6. Thousands....

Attached Files:

7. Is 'glided' a proper verb?

'I glid' perhaps, or maybe even 'I have been gliding' but 'glided'?

Any grammar guru's out there?

If this is in an Army advert for the TA (not seen) I despair - we can't even get onto the ranges properly, let alone ponce about in a glidder.
  8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Yup, indeedy, some place called arnhem, an overseas exercise called world war two or something like that...
  9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's a shot from the old 'more pepper!' Flying Chef ad is it not?

To the subject in hand. On a familiarisation visit to HQ RLC (V) in January the gentleman in charge of our syndicate was the self same gliding soldier (Cpl W*****)

Pleasant chap. And he did indeed get to go gliding.
  10. I'm 100% sure that Master_Sniper has some glider experience under his belt. PM him, seems to have gone quiet.
  11. Clearly not you! You mean gurus...

Amusing post, though :wink:
  12. I went gliding with the Army. It was ace, and I am not even TA! Three times to heaven and back in one morning. I screamed like a little girl when we took off, and was laughing my head off and demanding more when we landed. Fortunately, the lad (17?) driving needed air time, so I got to go up again, and again.

If you get the chance, go for it.
  13. I'm sure he did, but how many times other than that for the advert?

Even in September 1944 we couldn't raise enough airpower to give all the guys a flight on the right day!!
  14. Quite a few of my mates did get to do gliding courses, as they were held at Bicester then I believe. One of them even got to fly solo in a privately owned glider worth £250.000.
  15. Ponced about on something similar in Snowdonia.