Has anyone ever glided with the Army?

Have you ever glided with the Army?

• Yes, it was the best AT weekend ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I turned down the opportunity.

• No, I missed the gliding weekend when on TELIC.

• FFS...

• Total voters

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone ever glided with the Army? My great uncle did, and so did a load of his mates...

barbarasson said:
Having just seen the new TA advert (though it seems vaguely familiar) I have to say, doesn't it seem obviously to be marketing bo11ocks?
A good friend of mine is President of the UoE gliding club at Watisham. Their weekend exploits with the Army Gliding Association have become the stuff of legends and I myself have suffered rather too many hangovers in their company.

Mrs FW did it at Wattashame earlier this year. She hasn't been in long and didn't have any trouble getting a place. I'll vote on her behalf as she hasn't registered here...yet :D

chrisg46 said:
Has anyone ever glided with the Army? My great uncle did, and so did a load of his mates...
September 1944 I presume? :)

Is 'glided' a proper verb?

'I glid' perhaps, or maybe even 'I have been gliding' but 'glided'?

Any grammar guru's out there?

If this is in an Army advert for the TA (not seen) I despair - we can't even get onto the ranges properly, let alone ponce about in a glidder.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
civvygit said:
chrisg46 said:
September 1944 I presume? :)
Yup, indeedy, some place called arnhem, an overseas exercise called world war two or something like that...

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's a shot from the old 'more pepper!' Flying Chef ad is it not?

To the subject in hand. On a familiarisation visit to HQ RLC (V) in January the gentleman in charge of our syndicate was the self same gliding soldier (Cpl W*****)

Pleasant chap. And he did indeed get to go gliding.

I went gliding with the Army. It was ace, and I am not even TA! Three times to heaven and back in one morning. I screamed like a little girl when we took off, and was laughing my head off and demanding more when we landed. Fortunately, the lad (17?) driving needed air time, so I got to go up again, and again.

If you get the chance, go for it.

Sixty said:
It's a shot from the old 'more pepper!' Flying Chef ad is it not?

To the subject in hand. On a familiarisation visit to HQ RLC (V) last January the gentleman in charge of our syndicate was the self same gliding soldier (Cpl W*****)

Pleasant chap. And he did indeed get to go gliding.
I'm sure he did, but how many times other than that for the advert?

Even in September 1944 we couldn't raise enough airpower to give all the guys a flight on the right day!!

Quite a few of my mates did get to do gliding courses, as they were held at Bicester then I believe. One of them even got to fly solo in a privately owned glider worth £250.000.

MrTracey said:
Is 'glided' a proper verb?

'I glid' perhaps, or maybe even 'I have been gliding' but 'glided'?

Any grammar guru's out there?

If this is in an Army advert for the TA (not seen) I despair - we can't even get onto the ranges properly, let alone ponce about in a glidder.
Ponced about on something similar in Snowdonia.

Not intentionally. In that single engined AAC thing. Throttle link broke just at top of climb out from Turnhouse airport. WO pilot no sweat, side slipped it and landed on grass just about where we had taken off. I gave him a 'Commit 1 crime free' chit on the spot.
Bit of a boy's day out really. Fire engines and everything and when time came to go back that night to NI I flew civvy alongside Jackie Stewart who was quite chatty.

Yes I have, it just wasn't for the weekend though, five days good weather plus a little previous experience in Hang Gliders meant I went solo on the Friday afternoon - FANTASTIC!

I can't remember what it cost - about £120 I think ( 8 years ago mind). This was for the course and I managed to book Service Accommodation on camp.

It was with these guys down on the Plain.

Wyvern Army Gliding Club

I thoroughly recommend it to anybody. It just takes you to do a bit yourself - look it up in the Big Book of Courses or contact the club itself direct.

(edited as I have just found the link has stopped working)

If riding in an aircraft is 'flying', that's like saying riding in a boat is 'swimming'.

If you really want to experience the element - get out of the vehicle.

Go skydiving. :D

Went gliding with a bunch of TA people, organised by the SSM and friends outside of TA. Got paid a 1/4 day for it, although we had to chip in to pay for the flights themselves. Jolly good fun for all who took part. Even got photo's around here somewhere.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, several times. It helps, being REME, that you can service their winches and the beaten-up old LRs that gliding clubs tend to attract!

Dirt cheap, and great fun.