has anybody or will anybody post how to beeswax ammo boots?

follow-the-sapper said:
is anybody willing to post a step by step guid eon how to beeswax boots?
There are lots of variations:

I used to mix polish and beeswax in a pot/bowl and heat it up with a hot air stripper until it melted. Use a lollipop stick to mix it up and paint it onto your boots with a paint brush, so it is on nice and thick. Paint more onto the top of the boot than the sides. Take the hot air stripper and wave it over the lumpy bits on your boots until it is all smooth. It will run, and that is why you lay more on the top than the sides. Before it is fully dry, take a sharp knife and cut away all the lumps that will have formed around the welts - they will peel off in one strip if the wax is not fully dry.

Wait until it is completely dry, and then do it again.

To avoid the cracking between the laces and the toecap - get boots that are one size too big and stuff them with paper, aim your blowtorch at the area between the toecap and the laces and heat the leather until it shrinks. This will have the effect of pulling the toecap up - but it also permenantly forms the end of the boot, so when you walk the area does not crack (as there is no need for it to move - it is pre-shrunk). You need to have a pair of boots that is one size to big though, otherwise if you shrink your own boots then they will not fit.

There are other ways too - but I find this way the easiest. (Apart from using Morello which is much easier all round). I am sure there is a thread on it somewhere - have a look.

PM the butler and look in the QM forum lots in there. Infact 1 feck of big thread on shining leather

again ,, i think every body has or has had their own way of doing it..
it generaly speaks for itsself..

hot spoon containing small amount of melted beeswax..
lightly work into the boot/shoe in a even coating..
let it harden (i always left my boots on the window ledge for a day).. smooth of with a pair of tights that you nicked of that bird from last night..

then bull your boots as normal..

Sammy The Cat said:
follow-the-sapper said:
is anybody willing to post a step by step guid eon how to beeswax boots?
There are lots of variations:

I used to mix polish and beeswax in a pot/bowl and heat it up with a hot air stripper until it melted. Use a lollipop stick to mix it up and paint it onto your boots with a paint brush, so it is on nice and thick. Paint more onto the top of the boot than the sides. Take the hot air stripper and wave it over the lumpy bits on your boots until it is all smooth. It will run, and that is why you lay more on the top than the sides. Before it is fully dry, take a sharp knife and cut away all the lumps that will have formed around the welts - they will peel off in one strip if the wax is not fully dry.

Wait until it is completely dry, and then do it again.

To avoid the cracking between the laces and the toecap - get boots that are one size too big and stuff them with paper, aim your blowtorch at the area between the toecap and the laces and heat the leather until it shrinks. This will have the effect of pulling the toecap up - but it also permenantly forms the end of the boot, so when you walk the area does not crack (as there is no need for it to move - it is pre-shrunk). You need to have a pair of boots that is one size to big though, otherwise if you shrink your own boots then they will not fit.

There are other ways too - but I find this way the easiest. (Apart from using Morello which is much easier all round). I am sure there is a thread on it somewhere - have a look.
I cannot believe the amount of people who melt the beeswax and apply it as a liquid it's just weird and a waste of wax.
the purpose of the beeswax is to penetrate and harden the leather giving you a solid base to apply, layer and shine with polish. I have recently (against my better judgment ) posted how it is done to best effect even though I earn a living doing this (and some other things obviously) I am happy to share the knowledge. :D

the_butler said:
If you have new ammo boots with the wrinkles then you should tightly pack your boots and tie them with string. It helps to keep the shape but won't stop them shrinking. Some orderlies recommend you get boots a size bigger but that usually means they are over generous with the burner. Give your boots a good k1w1 polish but don't brush off. start by waving your burner over the leather quickly to warm up the leather. Rub a bit of beeswax over them at this stage and let it soak in. To remove the dimples you have to pass the flame over steadily but don't linger the dimples will recede into the leather but shrinkage follows quickly after. when you are happy with the area you are burning in rub a good amount of beeswax in and let it cool down while moving on to another part of the boot.

You can pass the burner over it lightly to smooth off and melt in any wax drips. I like to use a teaspoon to scrape them off and I slightly warm it to dig out the welts(it saves time when you are bulling)
When your waxing is done let the boots cool down I generally just leave them over night which is why my waxing service takes 3 days from receipt.(though my last pair were delivered by parcel force Tuesday 0900hrs and I had them collected, done Wednesday 1500hrs)
then comes the bit you can access freely the guide to shiny shoes
If you do muck up there is a guardsman on EBay and some boots for sale also a cadet on ARRSE called Cpl.Patel who has a fantastic skill if a little expensive Hopefully at the end you will have a gleaming pair of boots that still fit.
You are not the first to ask me I should really do a bulls1t disclaimer accepting no responsibility for charred disasters

the_butler said:
I cannot believe the amount of people who melt the beeswax and apply it as a liquid it's just weird and a waste of wax.
the purpose of the beeswax is to penetrate and harden the leather giving you a solid base to apply, layer and shine with polish. I have recently (against my better judgment ) posted how it is done to best effect even though I earn a living doing this (and some other things obviously) I am happy to share the knowledge. :D
Because:

a. It is quick
b. It is easy
c. It doesn't crack
d. It looks the same as any other method (apart from Morello which is just cack).

Sammy The Cat said:
the_butler said:
Because:

a. It is quick
b. It is easy

c. It doesn't crack
d. It looks the same as any other method (apart from Morello which is just cack).
I would rather do it properly than quick and easy but each to their own as I said I do it for a living :D

Wish the internet had been around when i was bulling boots, mine looked shite no matter how much i worked on them, some buggers made a lot of money off me for doing mine.

Id do it the Butlers way, cant remember anyone melting the beeswax?

Ceremonial duties
Regimental orderly whatever
Funerals
NCO cadre course
CO's orders
Remembrance parade

You aren't from around here are you. :roll:

im doing my JDI course soon and could do with re-doing my boots the lad the done them for me is in Iraq at the min so he cannot do them and plus its time i learnt how to do them

If you need any help just PM me or get in contact via my website.
Advice is free all else costs I'm afraid. :D

squigeypie said:
fcuk the beeswax get a bottle of "clear" floor polish
Dont even think of using that stuff it dont work, its shite and fecks your boots up.

Belive me it works !(klear) BUT got to have a few layers on your boots first DONT try it from scratch. An I would listen to the butler he knows what he is talking about cant belive in this day and age people try and use a spoon!

i have had a few mate suggest clear to me, there mostly in the household division. is klear the yank stuff that smells of apples? if so where do i get it from?

my boots have been beeswaxed before should i just go over the top of them?

klear is a silicone based self shining floor sealant.
Variations of the product can be purchased in most supermarkets.
I would not recommend using it unless you have a good surface to put it on.
It is a little tricky to apply and too much turns your boots a bluey tinge.
If you are to be inspected closely do not insult your NCO's by using klear and saying otherwise. There is one simple test to see if klear has been used and any NCO worth their salt will know it. If caught own up. On the other hand klear is good for putting on the underside of your drill boots to seal them against water penetration.
Honestly though with a bit of practice you can shine a pair of boots quicker than iy takes for klear to be applied and allowed to dry. (oh yeah i have seen fluffy kleared boots :D ) Any one can layer polish on a boot but the finish is the bit that eludes most. The finish can be achieved by using a decent selvyt cloth that has been well broken in. if you can't buy one then cotton wool balls can be used. The cotton ball method is a bit fiddly but soft enough for a good finish. Yellow dusters were very good years ago but the quality of the duster has degraded in the same way as supermarket carrier bags have got thinner so yellow dusters are not recommended for bulling unless you can nick on of your grans really old ones. :D

cheers for that butler its not the fact i cannot bull my boots as such is more the fact the the beeswax on my boots has become knackered through the time i have had them i just need to know how to apply the beeswax!

i have a few sylveetes i doubt i would ever use Klear actually as i am more of an old fashioned man, but i have heard it does wonders.

the trouble i am haveing is just applying the beeswax to my boots