Has anybody here transferred cap badge

Hi guys I'm wanting to start the transfer process. I've been in inf 4 years and I'm wanting to transfer to something that has good transferrable skills for when I leave one day.
My reason is I have a family now I'm not 18 anymore and want to lay good foundations for my future basically.

In my unit I've heard people saying trying to transfer is basically impossible. I've been on oavl so I know where has vacancies and what is required for each but I was wondering if there's any truth to what I've heard?
Can your unit snub you off if they feel your reasons are good enough.
Who has actually managed a transfer and how hard was it etc?

Thankyou

It’s not impossible to transfer, many do it, however you will probably meet resistance from your unit.

What are you looking at going into? It’ll help if you’re not as thick as a whale omelette.

I got 6 B grades at gcse including math English and science so I should be ok requirement wise. I just listened to what the nice careers man told me about infantry

Put it on then.

The last suit you’ll ever own.

1536092142579.jpeg

Transfer to Ammo Tech.

It is definitely one of my 3 choices I was surprised to see it on the oavl. My only hesitation is what doors does it open post army life

There’s stacks of work out there, especially if you are prepared to work abroad.

ATs are on good pay, quick promotion and it’s a great job. You could make a full career out of it.

make your own enquiries, get names and go speak to them, don't wait for someone else to help you out, or it won't happen, you are your own best PR man. Your unit will put every block in your path, they did with me, I transferred INF to AFPU as a phot and never looked back, but don't slag off the Infantry, nobody will like you for it.

Or you could get a job with real prospects for post-Army jobs in R SIGNALS.

The only thing is you'll have to put up with chippy gobshites in other Corps having a pop at you :)

Or you could get a job with real prospects for post-Army jobs in R SIGNALS.

The only thing is you'll have to put up with chippy gobshites in other Corps having a pop at you :)
Bloody Trekkies.

As that may be, but bleeps are still ATs brew bitches.
Perhaps so, but EOD ECM operators are just one tiny bit of our trainset. Like your trainset in fact, but EOD is probably at the top of yours, but not ours.

Hi guys I'm wanting to start the transfer process. I've been in inf 4 years and I'm wanting to transfer to something that has good transferrable skills for when I leave one day.
My reason is I have a family now I'm not 18 anymore and want to lay good foundations for my future basically.

In my unit I've heard people saying trying to transfer is basically impossible. I've been on oavl so I know where has vacancies and what is required for each but I was wondering if there's any truth to what I've heard?
Can your unit snub you off if they feel your reasons are good enough.
Who has actually managed a transfer and how hard was it etc?

Thankyou
aha what you want is the Royal Corps of Patio layers and Conservatory builders. just enjoy your time in the Army and stop worrying about civy life and how your skills will convert over to a civy company. It will be tough when you leave the Army to get a job, it is for almost everyone, but over time, if you're hard working, smart, punctual well tempered, you will find an employer that will take you on. Start putting some savings aside cos getting a mortgage can be a bitch without a down payment.

aha what you want is the Royal Corps of Patio layers and Conservatory builders. just enjoy your time in the Army and stop worrying about civy life and how your skills will convert over to a civy company. It will be tough when you leave the Army to get a job, it is for almost everyone, but over time, if you're hard working, smart, punctual well tempered, you will find an employer that will take you on. Start putting some savings aside cos getting a mortgage can be a bitch without a down payment.
I completely agree, and FFS get yourself a private pension squared away sooner rather than later. My private pension pot was worth £71,000 just after I got MD'd (that was what I'd put away without realising) after 9 years "in". Moving on twelve years after adding my war pension to it it's now worth quarter of a million.

It sounds boring, but: save, save, save.

Last edited: