Has anybody here participated in strong-man competitions?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by KGB_resident, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son was 7th recently on Gand-prix "The strongest man in Russia" in Moscow.

[​IMG]

2. Personally I'm barely strong enough to lift the remote to turn on the telly to watch it, Sergey, but always had far more respect for those guys than other forms of lifting / strength discipline. Lifting something heavy and then moving / throwing / doing something with it is a lot more impressive (and practical) than lifting it then dropping it straight back where it came from! So, well done to your son :D

3. Thank you spunkymonkey. Btw, only 4 participants (including my son) were able to carry 360 kg 30 meters. Another picture (a car with fixed rear wheels had to be moved 15 meters).

As I'm aware our Scotish friends like the games of this type.

[​IMG]

4. Fcuking Good Effort, KGB Resident Jr! :strong:

I've rolled(grappled during Mixed Martial Arts)with a pro-strongman, and he was a fcuking nightmare - he was about 5'5" tall by about 6' wide. The only thing I could do was hang on until he got tired. I was a lot more experianced than him, but for the first few minutes, he threw me around like a rag-doll. So I've got a lot of respect for the guys who compete in this sport.

5. Should be more strongman competions in the Army!
    Brilliant effort KGB (son)!!!

6. As a sweeping generalisation, I've always wondered why our army places so much emphasis on being swift like a hare, as opposed to strong as a bull. Surely there are good reasons for focusing on both?

7. If you naturally excell in one or both, it must be encouraged !!but you always read about football competions,atheletics etc, never just stongman stuff, i suppose being able to be "swift" is generally part of being in the Army i suppose! not being able to lift a small town..... dont count!!!!!

8. Well done to your son Sergey!

BTW, does anyone know if a Tri-Service powerlifting/strongman team exists??

9. Google, army powerlifting, its how i got involved! :strong:

10. the_matelot,
    PM me if you want some contacts etc, i might be able to help you out if you are interested. :strong:

11. Tankie,

PM sent.

12. :strong: More of it in the Army!!!! :strong:

13. I have seen a few 'Strongman' competitions advertised within the Army, but i always got the impression these were more fun or informal affairs.

14. Excactly Dinger!
    More professional comps i say!!

15. Blimey! Thats impressive, more so as I am just capible of lifting my own bodyweight.