Has Alex Salmon honestly thought of a Scottish defence force?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by conco, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well here we go! Do you honestly thInk Alex Salmon has really thought of a home land defence force? Costal defence, border control and fishery control?
    I very much doubt he has as he only wants us to have a referendum to split from the rest of the UK after 2014.
    Has he thought about the serving soldiers, airmen and matloes?
    Will they want us to come home? Or stay as a mercenary force within?
    The thoughts are there for both sides Of the fence! Do we stay in The British army or become the Scottish defence force? What will become of those who stay? What about pensions?
    Many questions to be answered?
  2. Nope, I don't think he's thought through any of the potential consequences.

And I'm mightily pissed-off because I'm denied a vote purely because I live in England. The guy is a (admittedly seemly honest) twonk.
  3. Of course he hasn't thought about it. He doesn't think he'll win the referendum.
  4. Scotland has already got four fishery protection vessels working for the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency.

Hang on, you might think, doesn't their role clash with that of Her Britannic Majesty's Navy?
    Well yes, what did you expect? Welcome to the weird world of Scottish devolution where a country effectively having two Parliaments, (the new and expensive one at Holyrood and the ancient but not quite as dear one sitting with the English Parliament in Westminster) is not considered odd.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

he knows he wont win, hence the devomax bollox. rather than oil he should have looked at staying away from the EU and instead building up the domestic fleet to take advantage of the new found fish wealth. stick a bofors on a few of those and they can protect their own fisheries from the spanish.

the mail has an excellent piece on what if with scotland adopting the groat as its new currency when we refuse to let it use the pound and the eu doesnt want it to join.
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Who exactly are we expected to have to defend ourselves against?
    • Like Like x 1

7. All those from down south who're so desperate to see the back of us.

Say they're so desperate to see the back of us, I mean.
  8. The Iceland option have no military force. Remaining part of the Commonwealth, could be tweaked to let the RRS remain part of HMF. After all the cost of 9 Rgts might be a Gay Gordon too far.
  9. The SNP have banged on about taking part in assorted peace-keeping missions etc. The've also regularly declared that they will actually re-instate the old Regiments. An Ex Reg Tankie wrote them a paper suggesting chemical weapons as a "poor mans nuke" - strangely not adopted as policy.... The major change would be getting shot of the nukes - and as any sane individual will admit they are more about playing at being an ex super-power rather than being of any real military use. There used to be a chunk of SNP membership that was all very lefty and anti-NATO. Methinks the whiff of actual power has rather changed SNP policy towards something a tad more realistic. In general terms an independent Scotland would inherit about 10% of UK military assets, based on size of population - and your Pension would still get paid, fear not.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. They could issue us Cold War Warriors with our own SLR and a Pick Helve.

"Saor Alba Gu Brath"
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grumblegrunt

salmond loves the trappings of power which his 'country' can ill afford. he flies in helicopters as often as he can which is a lot more than cameron by the accounts i've read. he used to love the debating in the commons so maybe he just misses that old tittle tattle enviroment.

iceland to be fair didnt really need a military with the yanks at keflavik not intending to go anywhere and GIUK SOSUS line being of strategic importance so NATO looked after them. maybe they can join whatever the warsaw pact has become now and get hard currency from the ruble now the yanks are pulling out of NATO bit by bit.
  12. As a "Fr'Instance" New Zealand has a smaller population than Scotland (4.4m vs 6m). It has roughly 10,000 Regulars, 2500 Reservists and 2300 civvy staff ( Hmmm I wonder how they manage that - we have a way higher % of CS) . Fishery protection and borders ? No, not really - There are currently New Zealand Defence Force personnel deployed on 19 operations, UN missions and defence exercises across 10 countries including Afghanistan, Timor, Sinai etc etc.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Grumblegrunt

hey - we could turn the RRS into a gurka style formation. after all both come from mountainous backwaters are overly aggressive and unintelligable.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. There is a small element within the SNP who want devolution at any cost. Alex will see Jocks starving in the street if that's what it takes to "set Scotland free". The SNP web site is packed with photos of windmills, policies about gay asylum seekers and bolleaux that seems to be centred around a film that starred an Australian, was shot in Ireland and written by an American.

The reason Wee Eck is short on minor detail, such as how Scotland will survive financially, is because such matters are of no consequence to him. Defence doesn't matter. Welfare doesn't matter. Currency doesn't matter. All that matters is independence.

From the polls that I've seen in the past week, support for "devo max" is a little under one third, slightly greater than support for full independence. It must surely be dawning on Mr Salmond that not even the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn is going to cause the biggest swing in western political history to win him any form of independence.

So, what next for the Tartan Mafia? I rather think that Wee Eck will try to claim that his convincing win at the last election gives him a mandate to declare independence without a referendum. It was in the SNP manifesto after all.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. You really are way behind the times....Most of the Warsaw Pact is now in NATO or very closely aligned to it.
    Member states of NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia