Harvey Weinstein

I know that the Harvey Weinstein case is finally being mentioned in another thread but I believe that it does deserve it's own thread. In fact; I suspect that the only reason that no one has started a thread on this subject is purely because none of us who live in the real world are at all surprised or shocked by these allegations against him.
After all; the film industry has always been well known for certain practices. The fact that these things happen is unfortunately a part of human nature I guess. But what pisses me off with this whole sorry saga is the hypocrisy of some members within it's industry. And in particular some of it's highest paid performers. Especially, the creature Meryl Streep.
A lot of these actors were quick enough to condemn Trump for making comments about 'grabbing women by the püssy' but have been rather slow to condemn the prominate democratic party donator Weinstein.
Do they really expect us to believe that none of them were aware of the rumours against HW?
What are other arrsers thoughts on this?

The human race is tribal be it on race, politics, football team, party or Brexit. So the prospensity to call out malpractice is linked to that.

Also I fully understand calling out a powerful man for wrong doing is very hard.

The human race is tribal be it on race, politics, football team, party or Brexit. So the prospensity to call out malpractice is linked to that.

Also I fully understand calling out a powerful man for wrong doing is very hard.
For a young and aspiring actress maybe. But I ain't buying into actresses like Streep, or even Hilary Clinton not being aware of the multiple allegations against him.

It is completely wrong and I have huge sympathy for the actresses he has attacked.

I do differentiate between propositioning and sexual attacks (which he allegedly did). The latter is appalling and deserves custodial sentences if true but the former?! I don't get that. I do wonder when fancying a woman becomes illegal!

He's managed to shag the most beautiful women on TV and in movies.

Like you wouldn't if you were in that position.

Not that I'm condoning his actions but he's taken advantage of his power and influence.

It's wrong, very wrong, and I'm happy that the ladies involved have been brave enough to speak out against him.

Does the fact that I don't give even the tiny weiniest of fcuks help in the discussion at all?

It is completely wrong and I have huge sympathy for the actresses he has attacked.

I do differentiate between propositioning and sexual attacks (which he allegedly did). The latter is appalling and deserves custodial sentences if true but the former?! I don't get that. I do wonder when fancying a woman becomes illegal!
I have no issue with a fat ugly bloke 'propositioning' a fit young woman. After all, money and power gets you laid. That's always been the case and it always will be. My issue is with the hypocrisy of certain 'right on' A-listers.

Does the fact that I don't give even the tiny weiniest of fcuks help in the discussion at all?
Each to their own sunshine.

Edited to add: You were so not bothered that you took the opportunity to comment anyway. Gotcha.

Mattb

LE
Especially, the creature Meryl Streep.
A lot of these actors were quick enough to condemn Trump for making comments about 'grabbing women by the püssy' but have been rather slow to condemn the prominate democratic party donator Weinstein.
Do they really expect us to believe that none of them were aware of the rumours against HW?
What are other arrsers thoughts on this?
To be fair, I can see a couple of important factors that might affect this - first off all, the Trump thing began because he said that stuff, rather than in response to allegations that might or might not be true.

Secondly, the Trump thing was pretty time-critical; they were in the middle of trying to decide whether they wanted him to be President or not at the time.

That said, it is looking increasingly like he did do at least some of the things he's been accused of, and the attackers are now out in force. Interesting to see his appearance's being criticised on The Last Leg, which I did think might be showing something of a double standard (can you imagine commenting on a woman's appearance on that show)? I mean he's probably a sex offender, can you not focus on that bit?

Each to their own sunshine.

Edited to add: You were so not bothered that you took the opportunity to comment anyway. Gotcha.
The online papers have been wall to wall coverage and now this thread.

I tried to care about these publicity seeking massively over paid people but I failed.
Sorry.

I am surprised that not one of the Women he raped either pulled a gun out and shot him, or beat him with a chair leg
I'd guess that some of his victims lack the physical strength to lift anything heavier than a celery stick. This thread isn't about some bloke using his power and influence to get laid. It's about the hypocrisy of the industry and some of it's leading liberal mouth pieces.

The online papers have been wall to wall coverage and now this thread.

I tried to care about these publicity seeking massively over paid people but I failed.
Sorry.
Fair enough. Thank you. You should of said so. I too have very little sympathy for his alledged victims. I certainly don't believe that most of them were so naive, that they didn't understand what sort of predators were in the film industry. The same as the music and modelling industry.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm reeling from the discovery that men in positions of power and influence might use that power and influence to persuade attractive women to have sex with them. Once I've stopped reeling from that discovery, I propose to spend time reeling from the discovery that the same attractive women use their sexual allure to make sure that that influence and power is subsequently wielded to their advantage.

I shall not be posting much over the weekend as I shall be busy reeling.

.......I too have very little sympathy for his alledged victims. I certainly don't believe that most of them were so naive, that they didn't understand what sort of predators were in the film industry. The same as the music and modelling industry.
But it is Art lovey.

Latest Threads