Harrys road to the front line starts here

Harry's road to the front line starts here
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 12/05/2006)

Prince Harry will begin the training this month that will prepare him for immediate deployment in Iraq, senior officers said yesterday.

On the course the prince will learn driving and maintenance, signalling, gunnery and armoured tactics. When he goes to Windsor he will command a troop of 11 men including a "hugely experienced and wise" sergeant, two corporals and eight other soldiers.

Col Martin ended his briefing at Bovington by quoting a Second World War tank commander just after an engagement with the enemy. The anonymous officer said: "The 75mm is firing but the 37mm is firing traverse round the wrong way. The Browning has jammed. I am saying 'driver advance' on the radio set and the driver, who cannot hear me, is reversing and as I look out of the top of the turret and see 12 enemy tanks 50 yards away someone hands me a cheese sandwich."

Prince Harry should be prepared for things to be as chaotic, Col Martin added.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...y12.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/12/ixuknews.html

Good Luck to the young man. :wink:

Telegraph wrote:
Discussions are under way at a senior level to consider the security implications on sending the prince into Iraq where 109 British troops have been killed.
Why is there such discussion on how to use him? He is a soldier and should be used as such. Will all this discussion be multiplied when Wills is ready to go to war?

I think the maina area for concern is the extra risk it may expose the soldiers under his command. Hadn't they decided to use him at Regt\Bde\Div HQ though? as a novelty royal tea boy?
RH

That is a problem, but one that isn't insurmountable.

If he only gets used as a HQ wallah it will be waste of time having him in the Army. He should have been put in the RN/RAF instead.

the only comcern is that he may be too eager to go into battle and possible get himself into a sticky situation he couldn't get out of, he would need a very strong SNCO who can forceably "Advise" him.

semper
the only comcern is that he may be too eager to go into battle and possible get himself into a sticky situation he couldn't get out of, he would need a very strong SNCO who can forceably "Advise" him.
He is a Cornet/2ndLt, they are all eager (or should be) and need careful supervision.

chocolate_frog said:
semper
He is a Cornet/2ndLt, they are all eager (or should be) and need careful supervision.
I have heard that there is an obvious SNCO candidate within the Blues and Royals. A very warry chap ...

What utter rubbish - All they are reporting is Harry starting his Troop Commanders course (or whatever the RAC call it these days). He and all the rest of the cav mob he passed out with. This is just part of the normal process - he certainly isn't training for any specific deployment to the fronth line.

Good on the guy. [f***ing red-arse]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
arcticfox042 The NAAFI Bar 82
BiscuitsAB The NAAFI Bar 0
Tiffy_A_Mech Medals 38