Harry's of to sandbags ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by HLS, Aug 15, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HLS

HLS Old-Salt

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-780185,00.html

Please tell me thats not really good enough to get in, we all slate our officers (and yes I know some are as thick as a double ditch) but surely you need better academic qualifications than that.

Shit on a stick I could have blagged my way in if I knew that was the required level.

2. I think once upon a time it was 5 O Levels, back when O levels actually meant something. I think the rest of the phrase was, "But if you have A-levels or a degree, so much the better"

What is the Regular Army educational requirement for Pips training?

3. This is from the Army careers website. The ucas a-level points for A-levels are as follows, AS are in brackets

A=120 (60)
    B=100 (50)
    C=80 (40)
    D=60 (30)
    E=40 (20)

So if you did 3 A-Levels and got DEE (err um like I did) you scrape through with 140. 8)

4. errrr, Oh dear so what you are saying is my DEN would not have been much good.

Thank god in the old days it was more to do with your shoes, trousers and who your father was.

Besides it wasn't my fault, I was let down by my teachers/discriminated against based on my ethnicity/the cat ate my coursework.

5. It doesn't really matter as long as you con a university into taking you on for a BA in needlework and basket weaving. When you get a degree that's counted as being good enough.

6. as long as he got two arms and legs they not really going to say he is not good enough are they ?

7. Come on, give the lad a chance - at least he's got a bit of oomph about him. Mind you, I think his brother is lovely and I'm a huge fan of his dad, so I'm biased................(and he's got GREAT colour hair......!!! :wink: :lol: )

8. Well, at least he's following in his father's footsteps! Will he join the Household Cavalry as well?

9. Although the rules stated 5 GCSEs A-C and 2 A levels A-E (when I applied), around 90% of Officer Cadets at Sandhurst are graduates these days. Apparently the non-grads find it quite hard to operate in an environment where everybody is a lot older and wiser than them. I think in the olden days one needed GCSEs for a Short Service Commission, A levels for Reg C, but I may be wrong.

10. Whats about other courses, such as GNVQ's etc or Access Courses, ie Access to Higher Education. How does the scoring work then?

11. How about Highers (The Jock equivalent ?)

12. msr

msr LE

Who cares?

13. hmm...one of the 'compulsory' questions at the RCB briefing is along the lines of 'have you ever had any association with illegal drugs' - wonder what he said to that! :roll:

14. he he he he :lol: wish i was a fly on the wall for that one

15. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

MPUP you stroker,
    In the 'old days', I attended Sandbags as a non-grad in a grad company. I was in the middle third at endex, ahead of plenty of 'older and wiser' peers. I got a staff pass at IPSE (you won't remember that), and I'm off to ACSC. No, I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but if you seriously think that a 3rd class degree in basketweaving from Spunkbridge Polyversity makes you somehow better than someone who has seen a bit of real life (like earning a living rather than talking ill-informed sh1te and supping subsidised lager at the Nelson Mandela Bar) then you can kiss my shiny white butt.
    Regards,
    Napier :mrgreen: