Harrys Medal - Wotizit ?

During Prince Harry's passing out parade he appeared to be wearing a medal. Does anyone know what it is ? How on earth can a recruit get a medal ?

mussolini93 said:
During Prince Harry's passing out parade he appeared to be wearing a medal. Does anyone know what it is ? How on earth can a recruit get a medal ?
Is it a Queen's Jubilee Medal?

Just a guess, more than willing to stand corrected.

Think it's my 'Mum's the Queen' badge.

I've got a cousin who's a Queen, can I have one too?

P

Padre said:
Think it's my 'Mum's the Queen' badge.

I've got a cousin who's a Queen, can I have one too?

P
No, but I'm sure you'll be able to get your brown wings!

I've got one of those too, but it's considered a bit sad to actually wear it.

It's not like you actually have to earn it or anything is it?

I thought you had to have 5 years service by 2002 to get it?

He must have joined up when he was 13ish!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
devilish said:
I thought you had to have 5 years service by 2002 to get it?

He must have joined up when he was 13ish!
... or have the Queen as his mummy?

Didn't he used to be in the CCF. Great news for spotty teenage walts everywhere, start claiming medals as soon as you hit your teens!!

CW

Vegetius said:
I've got one of those too, but it's considered a bit sad to actually wear it.
Yeah but he wouldn't want to upset his Gran would he?

Yes its the Golden Jubilee Medal - All members of the Royal Family got it, as well as Royal Household Staff.

Other Uniformed Services such as the Police, Fire Brigade, Custums & Exsise and Coast Guard also got it.

He's entitled to it, and is improperly dressed if he does not wear it! I can imagine that the Officers Mess would pounce on such a omission!!!!

Prince Charles & Andrew wear both the Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals.

Mike_2817 said:
Yes its the Golden Jubilee Medal - All members of the Royal Family got it, as well as Royal Household Staff.

Other Uniformed Services such as the Police, Fire Brigade, Custums & Exsise and Coast Guard also got it.

He's entitled to it, and is improperly dressed if he does not wear it! I can imagine that the Officers Mess would pounce on such a omission!!!!

Prince Charles & Andrew wear both the Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals.
It would cost him a case of champagne and a weeks orderly officer (which means no london nights out for 7 days...severe.)
its a hard life being a coronet (no ice cream jokes please)

It can work both ways, though. I got sent to the Grog Bowl in a Dining In (US tradition) for not wearing something which common belief thought I was entitled to but I, having looked up the regs, knew I wasn't. Alas, my protestations fell on deaf ears...

NTM

Aaahh, the Grog Bowl...American Dinner Nights...airborne baked spuds...cigars like dog turds...introducing you guys to 'Spoons'...it all comes flooding back. Literally.

Bravo_Bravo said:
he is entitled to wear his jubiilee gong, as was mentioned earlier , you would be improperly dressed for not wearing, however looking at Andrews he is wearing the South Atlantic medal at least he has served in a war zone. i don't recognise the others except of course the Golden and Silver Jubilee.

By the way when is the Diamond jubilee , isn't that 2010 ?

Looks like he is a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order and he is wearing a Canadian Forces Decoration (awarded for 12 years service - presumably in some honourary role).