Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Harry

Can anybody shed some light on those racks? That's Harry Waddingham on the left who is in his 103rd year on this planet and a cracking bloke, met him yesterday, but his memory isn't what it once was. Ignore the mayor on the right, he's a total knob.
Image1.png
Image1.png

Last edited:
I assume the question is why is he wearing medals on both sides? Looks like his own WW2 photo right and, I suspect a relative's set from WW1 photo left. Not sure where the practice originated but several (at least one probably a widow) did it at my local parade yesterday

I assume the question is why is he wearing medals on both sides? Looks like his own WW2 photo right and, I suspect a relative's set from WW1 photo left. Not sure where the practice originated but several (at least one probably a widow) did it at my local parade yesterday
You are entitled to display your relatives medal on your right side. Normally the original recipient is brown bread. You could have the case of a widow/widower/mother with their spouses/childs gulf/afgan/GSM and others on one side and their own medals on the left.

The set on the old gentleman's right seem to be 'Pip, Squeek and Wilfred' from WW1, a WW2 service medal and the Special Constabulary medal, presumably his Dad's.

The set on his left, his medals, consists of the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, 1939-45 War Medal, and what I think may be the Cadet Forces Long Service Medal.

You are entitled to display your relatives medal on your right side. Normally the original recipient is brown bread. You could have the case of a widow/widower/mother with their spouses/childs gulf/afgan/GSM and others on one side and their own medals on the left.

If as quoted he is 103, then there is a high probability that the original recipients of the medals that he is wearing, are as stated indeed brown bread.
At that age, though he is very well preserved and presented.