Harry

Can anybody shed some light on those racks? That's Harry Waddingham on the left who is in his 103rd year on this planet and a cracking bloke, met him yesterday, but his memory isn't what it once was. Ignore the mayor on the right, he's a total knob.
Image1.png
Image1.png

Last edited:
I assume the question is why is he wearing medals on both sides? Looks like his own WW2 photo right and, I suspect a relative's set from WW1 photo left. Not sure where the practice originated but several (at least one probably a widow) did it at my local parade yesterday

I assume the question is why is he wearing medals on both sides? Looks like his own WW2 photo right and, I suspect a relative's set from WW1 photo left. Not sure where the practice originated but several (at least one probably a widow) did it at my local parade yesterday
You are entitled to display your relatives medal on your right side. Normally the original recipient is brown bread. You could have the case of a widow/widower/mother with their spouses/childs gulf/afgan/GSM and others on one side and their own medals on the left.

The set on the old gentleman's right seem to be 'Pip, Squeek and Wilfred' from WW1, a WW2 service medal and the Special Constabulary medal, presumably his Dad's.

Trilby

Clanker
Book Reviewer
The set on his left, his medals, consists of the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, 1939-45 War Medal, and what I think may be the Cadet Forces Long Service Medal.

You are entitled to display your relatives medal on your right side. Normally the original recipient is brown bread. You could have the case of a widow/widower/mother with their spouses/childs gulf/afgan/GSM and others on one side and their own medals on the left.
If as quoted he is 103, then there is a high probability that the original recipients of the medals that he is wearing, are as stated indeed brown bread.
At that age, though he is very well preserved and presented.

Can anybody shed some light on those racks? That's Harry Waddingham on the left who is in his 103rd year on this planet and a cracking bloke, met him yesterday, but his memory isn't what it once was. Ignore the mayor on the right, he's a total knob.
View attachment 361394 View attachment 361394
View attachment 361394 View attachment 361394
Yeah,he does look a bit of a Wo ------------ Oh.sorry,I see you said "Knob".

For those interested I believe the 'form' is that the most directly connected relative/descendant may wear medals on the right chest, so wife then eldest child then carry on just like you would hand down the crown if you were royal, however if you're the only one in the family who actually parades and you have Grandad's medals......

For those interested I believe the 'form' is that the most directly connected relative/descendant may wear medals on the right chest, so wife then eldest child then carry on just like you would hand down the crown if you were royal, however if you're the only one in the family who actually parades and you have Grandad's medals......
I believe the 'form' is also you only ever wear one set inclusive of your own - certainly that is in the RBL guidelines...

Not sure where the practice originated but several (at least one probably a widow) did it at my local parade yesterday
It's a tradition that originated in North Africa. Here's a photo from a remembrance ceremony I attended in Tripoli some time ago. I don't recall who the chap in the chintz uniform is but he must be a drill instructor. He's standing so straight he looks like he's got a flag pole up his arrse.

More to the point, where is Harry's fekkin' poppy? The Walting b@stard may have lost all his toes to frostbite on the Arctic convoys but he should have been with me in the Med for a taste of real combat. Fekkin' galley ran out of fish one Friday and the serving counter in the Junior Rates' mess looked like the defence of Rorke's Drift when the Zulus pushed over the perimeter wall. That's what you call a cod war.

Does anybody have Harry's contact details? I'd like to persecute him for what's left of his life for not wearing a poppy. I might even imply that he had a white one under all his medals and, if he doesn't live too far from me, perhaps post some dog turds through his letter box.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ninja_Turtle Medals 24
E Military Clothing & Boots 50
Deserter The NAAFI Bar 851