Harry speaks out

Discussion in 'Officers' started by smithie, Sep 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Code:
    Prince William last year said he would not want to be kept back from war zones if he joined the armed forces, and his younger brother has agreed. 
    "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country. 
    Somehow I can't see the powers that be going for that.

It becomes known that they're out on the streets of Basra. Suddenly they become the prime target. Imagine the sh1t that would hit the fan if they became a casualty.

That's not to belittle the thought, but it's a political not a personal decision.

I know that Prince Andrew was in the Falklands, but this is a new era and a very different threat type.

Just my ha'penny's worth.

2. Passing Bells I disagree. I don't see any reason why he should not be employed in any role anywhere. I reckon the MOD and his family would want to see him share the risk along with his fellow countrymen. There are degrees of risk in all things undertaken, the life of a soldier is just at a higher level. That is why there is a line of succession.

What would have happened if Andrew was KIA in the Falklands. Nothing. What if Prince Charles (Gawd Bless Him) bought the farm now. The next in line William would step up to the plate.

The great thing about Britain and the Royal Family is that the juniors do have a go and share the risks. Good leadership.
  3. I have little doubt that he/they would be prepared to take the risks, by all accounts its the sort of people that they are.

My point is that there is bound to be someone further up the chain of command who would rather not be the one who ordered the Queen's grandson into a situation where his life was threatened. Can't see it doing your career any good if said Prince got topped under your watch.

Editted, cos I can't speak English
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Absolutely right, Birdie. The joy of a hereditary monarchy rather than an elected executive presidency is that the monarch and her/his family are expendable: the individual doesn't actually matter.
  5. The other issue is perhaps this - would you want to be the company commander who had him in your sub-unit in the sand pit? After all, once word got out that he was in your coy base, there would be a traffic jam of would be suicide bombers all homing in on you and your lads, intent on blowing Prince H to pieces. Tiresome, to say the least.
  6. Isn't it Andrew next if Charles gets it?

The sons stop being in line if the father hasn't been king.

Came accross quite well, I thought.
  7. No, birth defines lineage…

8. No
  9. Also thought he came across well,nice bit about frontline service.Any ideas on Regt he favours?
  10. Do we have to go down that one again? Welsh Guards HCR soooo many previous threads on that one!

Good solid county Regt would be a great idea!
  11. Wince.

Imagine explaining that one away. Be a bit of a bore......
  12. Thank you for the reference.

So much for my explaining it to people...
  13. Pity the offspring of Bliar would never share these risks (in the unlikely event they were found suitable for service in anything other than the Crabs). But then a monarchy is about service to the country, these New Liabour Cnuts are all about service to themselves.
  14. Watched the 1/2 hr interview on Sky News. Thought he came across really well