Harry speaks out

Code:
Prince William last year said he would not want to be kept back from war zones if he joined the armed forces, and his younger brother has agreed. 

"There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country.
Somehow I can't see the powers that be going for that.

It becomes known that they're out on the streets of Basra. Suddenly they become the prime target. Imagine the sh1t that would hit the fan if they became a casualty.

That's not to belittle the thought, but it's a political not a personal decision.

I know that Prince Andrew was in the Falklands, but this is a new era and a very different threat type.

Just my ha'penny's worth.

PB

Passing Bells I disagree. I don't see any reason why he should not be employed in any role anywhere. I reckon the MOD and his family would want to see him share the risk along with his fellow countrymen. There are degrees of risk in all things undertaken, the life of a soldier is just at a higher level. That is why there is a line of succession.

What would have happened if Andrew was KIA in the Falklands. Nothing. What if Prince Charles (Gawd Bless Him) bought the farm now. The next in line William would step up to the plate.

The great thing about Britain and the Royal Family is that the juniors do have a go and share the risks. Good leadership.

I have little doubt that he/they would be prepared to take the risks, by all accounts its the sort of people that they are.

My point is that there is bound to be someone further up the chain of command who would rather not be the one who ordered the Queen's grandson into a situation where his life was threatened. Can't see it doing your career any good if said Prince got topped under your watch.

PB

Editted, cos I can't speak English

cpunk

LE
Birdie_Numnums said:
What would have happened if Andrew was KIA in the Falklands. Nothing. What if Prince Charles (Gawd Bless Him) bought the farm now. The next in line William would step up to the plate.
Absolutely right, Birdie. The joy of a hereditary monarchy rather than an elected executive presidency is that the monarch and her/his family are expendable: the individual doesn't actually matter.

The other issue is perhaps this - would you want to be the company commander who had him in your sub-unit in the sand pit? After all, once word got out that he was in your coy base, there would be a traffic jam of would be suicide bombers all homing in on you and your lads, intent on blowing Prince H to pieces. Tiresome, to say the least.

Isn't it Andrew next if Charles gets it?

The sons stop being in line if the father hasn't been king.

Came accross quite well, I thought.

B

benjaminw1

Scouting for Boys said:
Isn't it Andrew next if Charles gets it?

The sons stop being in line if the father hasn't been king.

Came accross quite well, I thought.
No

Also thought he came across well,nice bit about frontline service.Any ideas on Regt he favours?

Hat20 said:
Also thought he came across well,nice bit about frontline service.Any ideas on Regt he favours?
Do we have to go down that one again? Welsh Guards HCR soooo many previous threads on that one!

Good solid county Regt would be a great idea!

FritzTheCat said:
The other issue is perhaps this - would you want to be the company commander who had him in your sub-unit in the sand pit? After all, once word got out that he was in your coy base, there would be a traffic jam of would be suicide bombers all homing in on you and your lads, intent on blowing Prince H to pieces. Tiresome, to say the least.
Wince.

Imagine explaining that one away. Be a bit of a bore......

Thank you for the reference.

So much for my explaining it to people...

I don't see any reason why he should not be employed in any role anywhere. I reckon the MOD and his family would want to see him share the risk along with his fellow countrymen.
Pity the offspring of Bliar would never share these risks (in the unlikely event they were found suitable for service in anything other than the Crabs). But then a monarchy is about service to the country, these New Liabour Cnuts are all about service to themselves.

B

benjaminw1

The basis for the succession was determined in the constitutional developments of the seventeenth century, which culminated in the Bill of Rights (1689) and the Act of Settlement (1701).

When James II fled the country in 1688, Parliament held that he had 'abdicated the government' and that the throne was vacant. The throne was then offered, not to James's young son, but to his daughter Mary and her husband William of Orange, as joint rulers.

It therefore came to be established not only that the Sovereign rules through Parliament, but that the succession to the throne can be regulated by Parliament, and that a Sovereign can be deprived of his title through misgovernment.

The succession to the throne is regulated not only through descent, but also by statute; the Act of Settlement confirmed that it was for Parliament to determine the title to the throne.

The Act laid down that only Protestant descendants of Princess Sophia - the Electress of Hanover and granddaughter of James I - are eligible to succeed. Subsequent Acts have confirmed this.

Parliament, under the Bill of Rights and the Act of Settlement, also laid down various conditions which the Sovereign must meet. A Roman Catholic is specifically excluded from succession to the throne; nor may the Sovereign marry a Roman Catholic.

The Sovereign must, in addition, be in communion with the Church of England and must swear to preserve the established Church of England and the established Church of Scotland. The Sovereign must also promise to uphold the Protestant succession.

Line of succession

Sovereign
1. The Prince of Wales
2. Prince William of Wales
3. Prince Henry of Wales
4. The Duke of York
5. Princess Beatrice of York
6. Princess Eugenie of York
7. The Earl of Wessex
8. The Lady Louise Windsor
9. The Princess Royal
10. Mr. Peter Phillips
11. Miss Zara Phillips
12. Viscount Linley
13. The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones
14. The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones
15. The Lady Sarah Chatto
16. Master Samuel Chatto
17. Master Arthur Chatto
18. The Duke of Gloucester
19. Earl of Ulster
20. The Lady Davina Windsor
21. The Lady Rose Windsor
22. The Duke of Kent
23. The Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor
24. The Lady Amelia Windsor
25. The Lady Helen Taylor
26. Master Columbus Taylor
27. Master Cassius Taylor
28. Miss Eloise Taylor
29. Miss Estella Taylor
30. The Lord Frederick Windsor
31. The Lady Gabriella Windsor
32. Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy
33. Mr. James Ogilvy
34. Master Alexander Ogilvy
35. Miss Flora Ogilvy
36. Mrs. Paul Mowatt
37. Master Christian Mowatt
38. Miss Zenouska Mowatt
39. The Earl of Harewood

B

benjaminw1

[1] The eldest son inherits
The eldest son gets the throne, and passes it to his eldest son.

[2] It is not in order of how old you are
Prince William is younger than many people behind him in the line to the throne. He is ahead of them because his dad, Prince Charles, was ahead of them.

OR

Imagine the line as a queue. If someone in the queue has a child the child is not sent to the back of the line. Instead they stand directly behind their dad or older brothers.

[3] Gender is important
The role of monarch is passed to sons. You only pass it to your daughter if you don't have a son. Princess Anne is the Queen's second oldest child but she is only number eight in line to the throne.

[4] Religion is important
There are three people who would have been in the top 30 who are excluded. They have either become a Roman Catholic or married Roman Catholics. The monarch is head of the Church of England and so must be a member of that church (see background).

Apparently he's looking forward to William having to throw him a kipper when he's commisioned and his big brother has just signed on.

I bet he does.

He's coming across really well, I thought that Sandbag would do him good and it appears to have worked.