Harry Roberts to Be Released After 45 Years

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
Police killer Harry Roberts to be freed
A notorious police killer is to be released from prison in what has been called a "scandalous, hurtful and abhorrent decision".

Harry Roberts, 78, was jailed for life for murdering three unarmed officers in Shepherd's Bush, west London, in 1966.

They were shot after pulling over a van containing Roberts and two others, after an armed robbery.

But the Metropolitan Police Federation said the decision was a "betrayal of policing" by the judicial system

'Terrible outcome'

It said Roberts' planned release "opens the door even further for those who have scant regard for law and order".

"Those who place their lives on the line to protect the public deserve better than this terrible outcome," it added.

BBC Home Affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said the Parole Board of England and Wales had approved the release.

He said the test the board applied in such cases was whether or not the prisoner continued to pose a significant risk of serious harm.

Roberts could be released from Littlehey Prison in Cambridgeshire within days, although it could take up to three weeks and after his release he will have to adhere to strict conditions.

The murders of PC Geoffrey Fox, 41, Sgt Christopher Head, 30 and 25-year-old Det Con David Wombwell became one of the most infamous crimes of the 1960s, causing public outrage.

'Should mean life'
Roberts and two associates had been sitting in a van near Wormwood Scrubs prison when three policemen approached to ask questions.

Roberts shot dead Mr Wombwell and Mr Head, while Mr Fox was killed by another member of the gang.

The officers were killed in front of children playing in the street.

Roberts was on the run for 90 days, using his Army jungle training to camp out in Hertfordshire, where he was eventually arrested.

Roberts has been in prison for 18 years longer than the 30-year minimum term recommended by the trial judge.

But John Tully, chair of the Metropolitan Police Federation tweeted: "This man should never see the light of day again, life should mean life."

Mark, who spent some time in prison with Roberts, phoned BBC London 94.9 to say there "isn't a bad bone in his body".

He said: "It's terrible for the officers losing their life but the man's done 48 years. I don't think on the day they went out to murder people."

He said the murders happened "in the heat of the moment".

'Absolutely sickened'
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said "Londoners will be absolutely sickened by this news".

"They will find it hard to understand how a man who shot dead three police officers in this city in the most horrific fashion can now enjoy the freedom he denied his victims," he said.

"To my mind, in the case of the murder of a police officer, life should mean life."

A Ministry of Justice (MoJ) spokesperson said it did not comment on individual cases.

An MoJ spokesman said: "The release of life sentence prisoners is directed by the independent Parole Board once they are satisfied they can be safely managed in the community.

"Once released they are subject to strict controls for as long as their risk requires them. If they fail to comply with these conditions they can be immediately returned to prison."

In May, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling announced plans to change the law so that the killers of police or prison officers would face whole-life prison terms.

"It is essential that police and prison officers feel the full weight of the state is behind them as they fulfil their crucial duties," he said.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So much for life means life.
Not a lot more to add there is there? Except of course the victims once more appear to have been forgotten.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Now I feel really old....I can distinctly remember hearing the news on the day he was caught....as a kid I did not appreciate he had killed two coppers in the one incident. Quite a step for the newly minted No Capital Punishment Britain when he was sentenced I imagine...

I am all for stiffer sentencing and for people serving 100% of there sentences if they do not behave in custody.

I also think that spending 45 years in prison is price enough to pay for almost any crime. He has paid his dues!

I propose ACAB meets him at the gate!

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
So much for life means life.
Not a lot more to add there is there? Except of course the victims once more appear to have been forgotten.

As usual. I bet there's a newspaper with a book deal there to meet him.

Now I feel really old....I can distinctly remember hearing the news on the day he was caught....as a kid I did not appreciate he had killed two coppers in the one incident. Quite a step for the newly minted No Capital Punishment Britain when he was sentenced I imagine...

I remember it as a kid too. I also remember (to my shame), singing a song in the playground called 'Harry Roberts is our King' to the tune of 'London Bridge is Falling Down'.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Why is this any different to anyone else setting released after serving their time for murder? I understand it was 2 police officers but does that mean that their lives are worth more than Mr + Mrs Bloggs who get killed when a burglary goes wrong when they disturb the burglar?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, if we can let other murderers out with less than ten years served and rapists with 30 months, I don't think one 78-year old bloke, who's done 45 years' bird, getting a last couple of years in freedom is too big a deal.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
He's lucky to be alive, the piece of low-life scum:
In 1959 Roberts and an accomplice posed as tax inspectors to gain entry into the home of an elderly man. Once inside the man was bound and robbed and beaten about the head with a glass decanter. When Roberts was captured and tried for the crime the judge, Mr. Justice Maude, said: "You are a brutal thug. You came very near the rope this time. It is to be hoped you do not appear before us again." Roberts received a sentence of seven years, and the victim, who never recovered from his injuries, died one year and three days after the attack. Had he died two days earlier, Roberts could have been tried for his murder under the year and a day rule (Wiki).

Well, if we can let other murderers out with less than ten years served and rapists with 30 months, I don't think one 78-year old bloke, who's done 45 years' bird, getting a last couple of years in freedom is too big a deal.

This is the bit that I can't personally compute. I get he has served 45 years and he is now an old man, but those few years of freedom and growing old to enjoy them was something he denied his victims (and their families). I prefer the Simon Wiesenthal Centre approach - they're never too old to be hunted down and made to suffer.

I propose ACAB meets him at the gate!

Why?

Surely the vast amount of the population would like to see Roberts beaten unconscious, not fellated.

Couldn't beleave this when I heard it this am.

Presumably due to his age their will be a fully furnish flat, 2 dozen social workers and enough mother loving to keep shit face Roberts happy for his remaining days. No doubt a book deal, a film TV is being lined up to allow him to seek 'closure' or what ever mumbo jumbo they come up with. Moreover it won't be long before the revisionists crawl out of the woodwork to redeem this shit.

This toe rag should never be out he should have died in prison. Much as the public were promised when capital punishment was stopped and murders we're going to spend the rest of their lives in prison, by supine politicos.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is the bit that I can't personally compute. I get he has served 45 years and he is now an old man, but those few years of freedom and growing old to enjoy them was something he denied his victims (and their families). I prefer the Simon Wiesenthal Centre approach - they're never too old to be hunted down and made to suffer.
Well, that's fine and I respect both your opinion and your right to hold it. Unfortunately, the law is the law and it applies equally to all - or should - and it's quite within both the law and associated guidelines for Roberts to be released at this juncture.

Why is this any different to anyone else setting released after serving their time for murder? I understand it was 2 police officers but does that mean that their lives are worth more than Mr + Mrs Bloggs who get killed when a burglary goes wrong when they disturb the burglar?
It was 3 actually.

Well, that's fine and I respect both your opinion and your right to hold it. Unfortunately, the law is the law and it applies equally to all - or should - and it's quite within both the law and associated guidelines for Roberts to be released at this juncture.

As I respect your opinion and views, but I don't have to agree with them! :smile:

I think in this case and others where officers have died life should mean that. I can't speak for the parents of the two officers murdered by that idiot Cregan but I'd rather have him sat there thinking this is it for life than the glimmer of hope Roberts' release may give.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
This toe rag should never be out he should have died in prison. Much as the public were promised when capital punishment was stopped and murders we're going to spend the rest of their lives in prison, by supine politicos.

What's your stance on convicted rapists who serve 30 months - should they go back to playing professional football?

This old man has done 45 years. It probably wasn't hard time - any police murderer is going to get a pretty easy ride from other inmates - but it was still the best years of his life. He's 78, FFS.

I don't think that the guy is as benign an old man as his parole might suggest.

The whole process leading up to his release started a few years back. He had a work placement outside prison that was suddenly withdrawn when he began threatening his employers.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It makes me wonder though if that bastard who threw grenades and shot those two unarmed WPC's in Manchester will be released one day.
He was given a whole life tarrif, scum like that deserve to die in prison, so what if Roberts is 78, I know a few old sods who are fit and able and who have plenty of life left in them.

Latest Threads