Harry Nicholls Day

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Gren, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seeing as i cant see anything on this in search, i shall do it myself.

As you may or may not know, the corporals mess of the Grenadier Guards, has a day of rememberance and celebration, in memory of one of our greatest sons.

He was born on 21 April 1915 and was 25 years old, and a Lance-Corporal in the 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards, during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 21 May 1940 near the River Escaut, in the village of Esquelmes north of Tournai for 6km in Belgium, Lance-Corporal Nicholls, although suffering from shrapnel wounds in his arm, continued to lead his section in a counter-attack against overwhelming opposition. He advanced over a ridge and when the position became critical, he rushed forward, putting three enemy machine-guns out of action. He then attacked massed enemy infantry beyond a second ridge until his ammunition ran out and he was taken prisoner.

Im also led to believe he is the only person to be awarded the VC both posthumously and in person, as it was thought he was killed in the process of earning the VC, but had in fact been taken prisoner.
    His wife returned the VC to Buckingham Palace after learning her husband was still alive, so that he could recieve it himself on his repatriation.

Ive heard his daughter is presenting the mess with a framed copy of the VC citation, and one of Harry's Tunics, so good on her for that, im sure it will be very well looked after.

Enjoy the day lads, and remember the great man.

Harry Nicholls VC, I salute you.

2. Indeed!

The Cpls mess have been "remembering" him since 12 O'clock and are well and truely rubberd on the 25 free cans they each had. They have even invited the Gdsm in to remember him also.

3. cap doffed
    SEPTUM JUNCTA ET UNA

4. I would hazard at guessing one particular cpls mess member will be remembering him more than most by decorating his room tonight with pretty patterns.

The grand slam NICE!!!

Still reckon the beer will not get polished off tonight though.

5. I dunno, don't forget the free beer in the naafi aswell