Harry & Megan to step back from Public life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that involve him doing actual work though? More likely that he just gets onto the 'sleb gravy train with his 'sleb wiffe.
To be honest, I get the impression that he’d love to spend most of the next 15-20 years flying SAR helicopters for the RCAF while Meghan gets on with her little projects, making occasional PR appearances to support her.

He remains 6th in line to the throne unless and until he renounces his position in the line of succession; there’d also need to be parliamentary legislation to enable this, since this is covered by statute stemming back to the Act of Settlement (1701) and Princess Sophia’s Precedence Act (1711) and legislation subsequent to that. The most obvious recent example is that Edward VIII’s abdication had to be ratified by parliament (the Abdication Act 1936). It’s almost impossible to imagine that Harry would be denied the right to renounce his position in the line of succession if he wanted to do so, but legislation would be required to facilitate it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Nah, she really doesn’t care at all. My missus has absolutely zero interest in celebrities or pop culture. Probably a result of being brought up like it was Victorian times, no TV then off to boarding school at the age of 6.

The whole of One Direction, Little Mix, Manchester United, the cast of Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale and the whole of X Factor could walk in to my house right now and she wouldn’t recognise any of them.
She sounds like me. No TV in the house, in fact until I went to Boarding School. No interest in slebs and their inane wibble. Haven't heard of anyone named by their Christian name on the front page of 'Hello'.

Except Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I might recognise him.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Harry will be back.............. But will he be invited to his father's/brother's coronation, Granny's funeral - or does 'no longer using his royal title' mean that technically he still has one. Personally I would go for wrongful dismissal on the grounds that the firm made his tenure impossible to continue. Take them for billions, or settle for the crown..................King Henry...........sounds good to me.
He will still have the Royal title, just not use it.

Until, broke and divorced, he wants his old job back.

syrup

LE
The whole of One Direction, Little Mix, Manchester United, the cast of Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale and the whole of X Factor could walk in to my house right now and she wouldn’t recognise any of them.
In fairness that sounds like me
The only actual live tv I watch is probably sports - football and NFL then it's limited teams
The rest I mostly Sky Plus and watch when the wife and kid are out
That way I can fast forward through the adverts as well.

I've been seeing a few posts on various Canadian sites making snarky comments about Harry flipping burgers etc, and have pointed out that he is a qualified helicopter pilot, which is a trade that is in demand as far as I know.
Was a qualified helicopter pilot. He left the Army in 2015, that means that he is no longer current by a long way. Also does the RCAF have Apaches? There would a lot of training and maybe conversion to type.

syrup

LE
Harry will be back.............. But will he be invited to his father's/brother's coronation, Granny's funeral - or does 'no longer using his royal title' mean that technically he still has one. Personally I would go for wrongful dismissal on the grounds that the firm made his tenure impossible to continue. Take them for billions, or settle for the crown..................King Henry...........sounds good to me.

He'll always have a Royal Title - Prince Henry
He was born a Prince and die a Prince he'll never lose that

I doubt we’d adopt the American model.

In all seriousness though, what’s to stop us just ditching the monarchy and cracking on with the same parliamentary system we have now (save for hereditary titles in the HoL)?

Apart from the ceremony of opening parliament and the PM asking permission to form a government, what actual real practical role does the monarchy play in our political system?

If we fucked the Queen off tomorrow and just said “right Boris, you’re still the PM, crack on” what would change?

F- All, the country would still be in the shit.

The resulting deal of the Sandringham Summit has been announced. Harry will step down from his military duties- him and Meghan will be free of royal duties in the Spring. The couple will pay back the money taken out of the public purse to do up Frogmore Cottage. They will no longer use their HRH titles.
The Queen has expressed admiration for Meghan.

It's normal for famous women to opt to retain their surnames when they marry. It's the name they became famous with, and to change it might be detrimental to their careers.
In some countries, such as Italy, women never adopt their husband's surname.
Having been blasted with Royal 'experts' whilst having my coffee.......I'm now a believer ! :mrgreen:

The resulting deal of the Sandringham Summit has been announced. Harry will step down from his military duties- him and Meghan will be free of royal duties in the Spring. The couple will pay back the money taken out of the public purse to do up Frogmore Cottage. They will no longer use their HRH titles.
The Queen has expressed admiration for Meghan.
Morning Trigger

I'm confused now, what will his surname be from here on?

Harry Wales
Harry Windsor
Harry Spencer (take his mum's surname?)
Harry Markle?

All very confusing.
Harry Mountbatten-Windsor? That’s the surname on his lad’s birth certificate, so there’d be a certain logic to it.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Ok, my wife is down stairs pottering about with Radio 2 drifting out of the radio. Kids are already in the garden working on their tree house construction and I’m still in bed with a broadsheet on my lap! Stereotypical enough?

Ok brace yourself- If Meghan sees herself as Princess of woke then the most important lesson here goes far beyond any individual; it is the comparison of the belief systems personified by Her Majesty and Meghan. Individual lives speak louder than statements of social theory.

Our Queen is imbued with the Christianity that has guided our country for over 1500 years, enabling people of different natures to co-operate constructively in building a civilisation. Before you even look at the theology (I’m definitely not clever enough) , across the world Christianity has an astonishingly successful very long term track record in building cultures that work, and this strongly hints that it lines up with the creator’s intentions for mankind. Hey it is a Sunday and I’m a pompous privileged Capt so surely I am entitled to a bit of white privilege ranting (!)...

Woke progressivism, on the other hand, is the latest iteration of Marxism if you ask me , finding purpose in overturning supposed structural injustices in society. Progressivism tries to do this under the radar, without being spotted as a religion of its own. It offers a short cut to the moral high ground, but its prime god, Equality, does not stand up to scrutiny as the basis for a viable and happy society.
The end destination is never stated. In its irresponsibility and myopia Progressivism offers the temporary illusion that a new harmonious society can be built, guided by social science academia, in which all can find their own individual nirvana. (Many young people have responded to the Sussex crisis by saying “good luck to them if it makes them happy” – but will it?) Progressivism can only exist as a parasite on the healthy body of a society built on more solid foundations.

The comparison of the fruit of these belief systems is stark. One unites, the other divides, one lasts and builds over centuries, the other is transient and shifting. In the Queen we see self-sacrifice and duty, in Meghan self-centred attention-seeking.

Ok fine- I’ll get up and have a shower!

Last edited:
What did I say, hmmmm, la’la’land work.

Harry’s mate Obama and his Mrs signed a deal with Netflix recently, and now the boss of Netflix is keen to do a similar with the new non-royals. If he is offering them production opportunities I bet there will,soon be a queue forming outside their door of other agency and studio heads all trying to get them signed up to shake peoples hands and wheel out at official events.

The Canadians have already been sniffing the air and suspect that Canada may only be a stopover on the way to the USA. Which would really piss off some people vis a vis security infrastructure costs and expenditure.

Seems the Empress has almost completed training her apprentice in the use of the dark side of monarchical privilege.

Last edited:
What did I say, hmmmm, la’la’land work.

Harry’s mate Obama and his Mrs signed a deal with Netflix recently, and now the boss of Netflix is keen to do a similar with the new non-royals. If he is offering them production opportunities I bet there will,soon be a queue forming outside their door of other agency and studio heads all trying to get them signed up to shake peoples hands and wheel out at official events.

The Canadians have already been sniffing the air and suspect that Canada may only be a stopover on the way to the USA. Which would really piss off some people vis a vis security infrastructure costs and expenditure.

Seems the Empress has almost completed training her apprentice in the use of the dark side of monarchical privilege.
Way points my friend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads