Harry & Megan to step back from Public life

Status
Not open for further replies.
60% of Canadians said they'd welcome him as the next Governor General though. Polls and vox populi; not that definitive.
My own impression is that people are watching the soap opera, but few people have any firm opinions and there has been little or no real public debate.

The few politicians that I am aware of having stated a public opinion on the matter have said positive things regarding the couple. That doesn't mean they are actively campaigning for Harry and Meghan to move here, it just means that if the two do decided to do so, then making them welcome is the decent thing to do. If we can welcome 50,000 Syrian refugees, I'm sure we can welcome a wayward prince and his wife.

I would be cautious regarding most polls, as some of them will have been made to promote a particular agenda and we don't know how the poll was conducted or what the poll parameters were. It's very easy to skew a poll in a desired direction intentionally.

Here's an Angus Reid poll that was conducted a couple of days ago (15th of January). They are a reputable polling organisation, but take any results with a grain of salt as there has been no real thought or discussion Canada about anything in connection with this. People are unlikely to form firm opinions without any real public discussion and so far are just going on moods and feelings which are getting blasted out from the UK media.

Here's the link, but I should point out that the headline means less than it seems at first sight as the "pay for" question was with regards to their living costs plus security. The two have said they intend to pay for their own living costs which makes that particular question meaningless.
We like you but we don't want to pay for you, Canadians tell Prince Harry in new poll

In regards to how people think of him though, Prince Harry is the most popular of the royals in Canada, with a large majority having a favourable view of him.
pop.png

Outside of Quebec, the proportion who are opposed to them spending a significant amount of time in Canada is very small. In Quebec, the people opposed to them are likely mainly separatists who will see them as symbols of conquest and national humiliation for Quebec. It's notable though that even there the proportion of people opposed is not that great. Outside of Quebec, the highest and lowest levels of support for the couple moving to Canada are in Ontario and the Atlantic with the highest support, and Alberta with the lowest. Neither of those sets of numbers surprises me given what the character of those provinces is like. In between those in favour and those against there seems to be a significant number of people who either don't care one way or the other or haven't formed an opinion yet.
move.png

There is no political appetite in Canada for any sort of major constitutional change, and the current government and PM in particular have a deep antipathy towards any change in that regards. Any sort of major change in the status of the monarchy would open a very large and unappetising can of worms regarding the relations between the different parts of the country and between different elements of society. Any polls along those lines which do not put any changes into that context are therefore meaningless.

If you can arrange for Her Majesty to be immortal, it would be much appreciated. Failing that, please arrange for her successor to follow her as smoothly and non-controversially as possible. It might be a good idea for Charles to pay more visits to Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth countries which have the monarchy as head of state to get us used to seeing his face before he assumes the top job.

For God's sake though don't make as much of a botch job of things as Cameron did with the girl/boy succession issue when William and Kate were expecting their first child. That one dropped us into a minor constitutional crisis which was not appreciated here.

Last edited:
Unless she picks up an acting gig here in the great white north, they likely will be heading south as soon as Harry gets his visa sorted.....
They going to remake a Meg Ryan film, When Harry Met Silly

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone else think this could be the beginning of the end of the Monarchy?

I can’t see things lasting too long once Queenie rolls a seven.

Charles doesn’t command anywhere near as much respect. Can anyone seriously see him as King with a tearaway, soap opera son and daughter in law and a paedo brother?

I’m sure one of the reasons the monarchy is tolerated and has lasted so long up until now is because the queen is a female. She’s the ultimate symbol of girl power and in these modern times of woke equality, is it really acceptable for a white old man to be in charge?

I think the whole Andrew thing and now Harry and Meghan are making people realise that the Royal Family aren’t this regal family with divine power. They’re basically like everyone else, just incredibly rich. They’re not even doing a great job at promoting the U.K. anymore, in the past couple of months they’ve been a ******* embarrassment.

In which case what’s the point?

I’ve always been a strong monarchist but in recent times I’m seriously starting to doubt whether we need them anymore and more importantly, whether they deserve to be there anymore.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Charles doesn’t command anywhere near as much respect. Can anyone seriously see him as King with a tearaway, soap opera son and daughter in law and a paedo brother?

I’m sure one of the reasons the monarchy is tolerated and has lasted so long up until now is because the queen is a female. She’s the ultimate symbol of girl power and in these modern times of woke equality, is it really acceptable for a white old man to be in charge?

I think the whole Andrew thing and now Harry and Meghan are making people realise that the Royal Family aren’t this regal family with divine power. They’re basically like everyone else, just incredibly rich. They’re not even doing a great job at promoting the U.K. anymore, in the past couple of months they’ve been a ******* embarrassment.

I’ve always been a strong monarchist but in recent times I’m seriously starting to doubt whether we need them anymore and more importantly, whether they deserve to be there anymore.
The point, apart from a couple of thousand years of history, wars and political upheaval, is to avoid oiks like Blair, Obama, Trump, Kim Jong, Putin or Corbyn being our President.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The point, apart from a couple of thousand years of history, wars and political upheaval, is to avoid oiks like Blair, Obama, Trump, Kim Jong, Putin or Corbyn being our President.
But they hold absolutely zero REAL political power.

They didn’t stop Blair becoming PM and of the election had gone the other way they’d have been powerless to stop Corbyn becoming PM.

The Monarch is literally just a ceremonial figurehead. Obviously I realise that constitutionally she can wield the big Queenie hammer, but would this ever happen? I doubt it. Would the public allow the monarch to meddle in the will of British democracy?

And the history thing is a fairly mute point. They’re basically just the decedents of someone who killed the decedent of someone who killed the decedent of someone who killed the decedent (etc.) of someone who just seized the crown by force anyway.

Chef

LE
I'm confused now, what will his surname be from here on?

Harry Wales
Harry Windsor
Harry Spencer (take his mum's surname?)
Harry Markle?

All very confusing.
Possibly Frank Spencer

'Oooh Betty!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

They didn’t stop Blair becoming PM and of the election had gone the other way they’d have been powerless to stop Corbyn becoming PM.

The Monarch is literally just a ceremonial figurehead. Obviously I realise that constitutionally she can wield the big Queenie hammer, but would this ever happen? I doubt it. Would the public allow the monarch to meddle in the will of British democracy?

And the history thing is a fairly mute point. They’re basically just the decedents of someone who killed the decedent of someone who killed the decedent of someone who killed the decedent (etc.) of someone who just seized the crown by force anyway.
All fair points, but a President is a different matter, and I prefer our Constitutional Monarch, who reigns rather than ruling, and cannot interfere with the proles even when they are being reckless, to any of them.

Well for one thing, it's been pretty much proven several times that the cost of running the Monarchy is/would be far less than that of running a Presidency with an election cycle.

(PS - it's moot, as in Moot Court! :) )

Shouldn't we be asking you this? What's the opinion from the tweed wearing side of the country?
What does Mrs Ravers think about all this, and Meghan?

Gen question

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All fair points, but a President is a different matter, and I prefer our Constitutional Monarch, who reigns rather than ruling, and cannot interfere with the proles even when they are being reckless, to any of them.
Indeed, I entirely agree, however when the monarch is Charles and his kid is an American TV personality earning his living by doing shit reality shows, while his brother hides from public view for hanging round with paedos, does the monarch have the credibility to do that anymore?

I don’t thing they do.

The Queen is a credible monarch, she’s never put a foot out of line in her life. Most importantly, she’s an enigma, no one really knows her, she doesn’t say much, she doesn’t go on telly spouting off. She’s a completely neutral character, neither offensive, nor inoffensive, because we don’t know her. She’s not really even human in most people’s eyes, she almost has a god like status. Her office far overshadows any prospect she has of being human or celebrity that we’d come to like or dislike.

In this modern age of social media, TV interviews and paparazzi pics of royals larging it on yachts and driving Range Rovers, they’ve become too accessible to the public. Charles will not be thought of as a god like creature, because we all know him already. He’s just a posh weird bloke, with a messy divorce, a paedo brother, a professional celeb son and who drives a car that runs on cheese and comes across as a bit dim.

He’ll be the first monarch in British history that people actually know and have a proper opinion of, as opposed to just “the king” or “the Queen.”

As soon as the mask drops, people will start to say “actually what does this bloke do for me? Why does he deserve to be king over me or my mate down the pub?”

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well for one thing, it's been pretty much proven several times that the cost of running the Monarchy is/would be far less than that of running a Presidency with an election cycle.

(PS - it's moot, as in Moot Court! :) )
I doubt we’d adopt the American model.

In all seriousness though, what’s to stop us just ditching the monarchy and cracking on with the same parliamentary system we have now (save for hereditary titles in the HoL)?

Apart from the ceremony of opening parliament and the PM asking permission to form a government, what actual real practical role does the monarchy play in our political system?

If we fucked the Queen off tomorrow and just said “right Boris, you’re still the PM, crack on” what would change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads