Harry & Megan to step back from Public life

(...) It would be a good idea if there was a protocol set that made sure that every immediate royal had a job to do within the realm. I.e. the armed forces, respected charities or indeed as young ambassadors for the reigning family. This would give them a real idea of how people outside their small world lived their lives.
I believe there is a protocol. If they do public duties they get paid for their time and have their expenses and security covered. If they don't, they get nothing (other than what their parents may choose to give them). That's what the current hubbub is about.

There should also be a strong scrutiny of those the royals choose to marry.
There is such scrutiny. Theoretically, under UK law Harry is not permitted to marry without the Queen giving her permission. It's a law that is hard to enforce however, given modern sensibilities about it. And given how many royals have already ended up divorced, the record of the rest of them isn't all that great either.

The farce we have seen played out over the last few months could so easily have been avoided if the Royal Family insisted on meeting Megan’s family. It is not too much to ask that two families should not be introduced. (...)
Do you think that Her Majesty didn't get a full report on Meghan, her background, who her friends were, what her politics were, etc., etc, as soon as Harry started dating her? That's not likely, is it?

The problem of course is how would you enforce it if someone in the palace decided they didn't like the girl that Harry liked? The days when the Queen could call in her henchman to toss a recalcitrant prince into a cell in the Tower are long gone. They could have given him the cold shoulder, but then he might decide to run off to the colonies (or the Commonwealth as some with dangerously modern ideas might put it) and then you've got a prince on the loose doing who knows what. Which is exactly what everyone is complaining about.

I've no idea whose "fault" everything is, if it's anyone's fault, and I don't have a solution for it. I just think that the Queen has probably done pretty much everything that can be done and I hope that it works out well for everyone in the end.

I can see your mind is already made up... But even the Daily Mail conceded that Kensington Palace denied an invite to the RM Memorial was even received.

So did Harry snub the RMs or did the Palace not get the invite? Even though we don't have proof either way, people have already decided based on what they've read.
I didn't mention the RM event, that's solely your addition. You're responding to a point that simply wasn't made.

The video of him trying to drum up work for his wife, clearly making the Disney CEO uncomfortable, was entirely Harry's own work...........and it's embarrassingly naff by any measure.

You seem to be having difficulty understanding that this type of behaviour, not the media reporting, is what's pissing people off. For the avoidence of doubt, I read neither the Daily Mail nor the Daily Express.

Last edited:
I also hope it will be made clear to Megan that the commercial use of the Sussex title will be seen as breaking a code of conduct that could be taken through the courts. Now there’s a thought! Imagine working in the CPS HQ that day !

I very much doubt that will be made clear to the HRH the Duchess of Sussex because it has sod all to do with the courts.

The only person that can remove the HRH moniker is the Sovereign and the only way that their titles can be removed is by Act of Parliament.

44 pages and 863 comments.

I will just leave this here

You can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family
With the exception of HM and perhaps Princess Anne, the rest of them appear to be people that I would not choose as friends. or family.

Perhaps Harry feels the same way.

I asked a mate of mine who lives in Toronto what he thought of their prospective immigrants. He, and judging by the newspaper articles he sent, quite a lot of other Canadians, are not that impressed with the idea. I'll post them later.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Should this pair or whiny self absorbed cretins want to do the part Brit, part Canada thing, move to Suffield, have the best of both worlds.
As it appears Megain has got her kit off for money previously, the Sin Bin in the 'Hat could possibly do with livening up a bit

Bobby_Bert

Clanker
All this talk of downsizing is undesirable and really rather naive because they are running out of manpower, having shed too many descendants in the recent past. Queen Victoria got it right: there is lots of work to be done and the Queen can't do it all. Also, she needs lots of support in other ways. Especially this Queen, who has lost the hereditary peerage from the Constitution.

The Princess Royal is coming up to 70, the Duke of Edinburgh is 98, Her Majesty is easing up at 93, the Duke of York has been pushed out thanks to his antics, the Princesses of York won't be allowed to do much, Lord and Lady Wessex were almost pushed out, the Duke of Kent is old, as are the Prince Michaels who have also clearly been sidelined. So that just leaves the Prince of Wales in his seventies and the Duchess of Cornwall, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. In a nutshell, now that the Sussexes have jumped on board their woke ship, that leaves just the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - at a time of life when they have young children.

Stage one of getting rid of the Monarchy was to abolish the role of the hereditary peerage in the constitution, bar a very few temporary remnants.

Stage two is to slim down the Monarchy. To get us nearer the Dutch arrangement where the Queen is just a paid civil servant. This will be achieved by sustained attacks on members of the Royal Family to discredit the institution. No-one is now educated to understand what the monarchy is and how it is valuable. People divide into those who want it abolished because they are envious or can't see the point, and those who want to keep it because they say it brings in money to the country. A few people have managed to work out there has to be a head of state and that an hereditary one rather than a politician is preferable; also that it keeps the head of government in their place, having to bow or curtsey to the Head of State once a week.

But the value of an anointed Sovereign, in a dynasty over a thousand years old, is not explained.

I hear today Markle vs Markle (Dad) is a toxic possibility if her pursuance against the red-tops goes postal in Court. That'll put another fox in her self inflicted hen coop.
On reflection ( hers) the maxim of "never complain or explain" would have been a better route but of course she "went Hollywood"...pretty much the common enough septic default setting.
It just gets "worser and worser". Or,even more amusing depending on one's personal take.
I think The Ginge may need a lot more therapy sometime soon.

Last edited:
I didn't mention the RM event, that's solely your addition. You're responding to a point that simply wasn't made.

The video of him trying to drum up work for his wife, clearly making the Disney CEO uncomfortable, was entirely Harry's own work...........and it's embarrassingly naff by any measure.

You seem to be having difficulty understanding that this type of behaviour, not the media reporting, is what's pissing people off. For the avoidence of doubt, I read neither the Daily Mail nor the Daily Express.
Harrys Disney touting managed to make even Sarah Fergusons' business exploits look classy. Just goes to show nothing is impossible.

All this talk of downsizing is undesirable and really rather naive because they are running out of manpower, having shed too many descendants in the recent past. Queen Victoria got it right: there is lots of work to be done and the Queen can't do it all. Also, she needs lots of support in other ways. Especially this Queen, who has lost the hereditary peerage from the Constitution.

The Princess Royal is coming up to 70, the Duke of Edinburgh is 98, Her Majesty is easing up at 93, the Duke of York has been pushed out thanks to his antics, the Princesses of York won't be allowed to do much, Lord and Lady Wessex were almost pushed out, the Duke of Kent is old, as are the Prince Michaels who have also clearly been sidelined. So that just leaves the Prince of Wales in his seventies and the Duchess of Cornwall, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. In a nutshell, now that the Sussexes have jumped on board their woke ship, that leaves just the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - at a time of life when they have young children.
(...)
I have to agree with this analysis of age. There's an age gap opening up as the older senior royals start getting on a bit too much and William's children are still far too young to start working in the family business.

Harry could have filled in, being the right age to do a lot of travelling and being young enough for the younger generations to feel they could relate to him. But now he's buggered off on them.

They could have fallen back on Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, but they were cut out to make for a "slimmed down monarchy". That's starting to look a bit short sighted now.

The HR planning aspects of all this look to have been more risky than was anticipated.

I see the Duchess of Woke still doesn't gets it.

having lectured the Great British Public at length about the evils of flying, then spent a busy month gadding about on private planes and getting their backs up...
she surfaces at last in Canada —- getting on a plane.

For the Red Tops, she really is the tone deaf gift that keeps giving.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
I have to agree with this analysis of age. There's an age gap opening up as the older senior royals start getting on a bit too much and William's children are still far too young to start working in the family business.

Harry could have filled in, being the right age to do a lot of travelling and being young enough for the younger generations to feel they could relate to him. But now he's buggered off on them.

They could have fallen back on Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, but they were cut out to make for a "slimmed down monarchy". That's starting to look a bit short sighted now.

The HR planning aspects of all this look to have been more risky than was anticipated.

Bobby_Bert

Clanker

Come on @terminal lets throw our hats in the ring. If her Maj will give us a listed house with a £3m taxpayer-funded renovation, pay us a whacking annual grant, my kids' private education etc, I'll visit hospitals and patronise charities and wear amazing clothes. And I wouldn't feel the need to be all preachy about anything, either. I'm good at smiling and waving. I’ll make a call this afternoon.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
it would seem therefore that Prince Charles will have to change his plans for only him, camilla, wills, kate plus sprogs and Harry and meghan plus sprog.
As has been drawn out the plan may well have to re-admit Edward & Sophie just to keep the work load at a manageable level.......

No-one wants to foot the security bill! This is the big discussion going on behind the scenes as the Royals are hoping they can get a government, either UK or Canada, to fund it.

Rich people remain rich by not spending their money, so I'll wager it finally ends up with UK taxpayers stumping up for it.
Trudeau has raised some questions on who will pay for their security. Maybe the Canadians aren't as excited as they should be at their arrival?

Why should they be,? what country in their right mind want to be subject to another country's high profile dysfunctional trouble, with the associated media attention, and have to stump up the dosh to keep them safe, they are well off, to the tune of millions, each. Let them pay for their own protection, the UK and the USA are well rid of the pair of them. They serve no useful purpose, they sell papers, and fill run time on 24 hour news feeds, that's it. Ask yourself one question, how does this impact on my personal life?, the answer is not one iota. Its a long running soap opera, nothing more.

Last edited:
it would seem therefore that Prince Charles will have to change his plans for only him, camilla, wills, kate plus sprogs and Harry and meghan plus sprog.
As has been drawn out the plan may well have to re-admit Edward & Sophie just to keep the work load at a manageable level.......

Who really gives a flying fcuk about a mega totally bad scripted soap opera? its a total irrelevance.

I asked a mate of mine who lives in Toronto what he thought of their prospective immigrants. He, and judging by the newspaper articles he sent, quite a lot of other Canadians, are not that impressed with the idea. I'll post them later.
I read somewhere this week that Canada is only a stop gap because she really wants to live in L.A. but won't while Trump is president, so she'll dump Canada like an empty chip wrapper as soon as the US votes a more 'woke' president in. If Trump wins this year that will really wind her up.

Come on @terminal lets throw our hats in the ring. If her Maj will give us a listed house with a £3m taxpayer-funded renovation, pay us a whacking annual grant, my kids' private education etc, I'll visit hospitals and patronise charities and wear amazing clothes. And I wouldn't feel the need to be all preachy about anything, either. I'm good at smiling and waving. I’ll make a call this afternoon.
OK, but you have to be the one who's the princess because there's no way I'm willing to be gay enough to wear the dress no matter how much I get paid.

Latest Threads