Harry & Megan to step back from Public life

I’ll give funny for that, but....

The reality is the people l generally associate with are more concerned about getting fleeced by the government over taxes on grain dryers, fuel, home heating, jacked up hydro bills etc. Why would on top of all that would they want to foot the bill for a couple who are worth millions that want to escape the limelight?
I previously said on either this or the other thread that I would not be surprised if a deal were worked out where the two were to conduct a certain number of public duties in Canada (visiting schools, hospitals, Indian reservations, getting photographed in places the tourism ministry wants to promote, etc.) and in return be designated as "protected persons" and so get police protection while in Canada. That would still leave them time to pursue business opportunities which appear to involve something to do with the fashion industry.

Regardless of whether Harry and Megan want to "step back from the public eye", they are still going to be targets for various terrorists and nutters who have an axe to grind with either Britain or Canada. They can in theory walk away from royal duties, but they can't in practice walk away from being royal targets to whatever nutter thinks that attacking them will stop the government from approving oil pipelines or has a grudge against Canadian or British foreign policy.

Realistically the Canadian government will take a massive load of blame from the Canadian public if anything happened to the couple and it turned out that security was somehow skimped on as well as being made to look very bad around the world. The UK tabloids that are busy crapping on Meghan now would be shedding tears of grief over how this wonderful flower so beloved by Britain was crushed by those evil, uncaring Canadians and they would be milking that story line for decades and spreading it around the world.

The simplest solution from Ottawa's point of view would be if Harry and Meghan were to patch things up with the rest of the Royal Family and soldier on as was expected of them. Given that this apparently isn't going to happen then some sort of formula is required which would show them providing some token of value in return for getting the same protection as they would if they were here on normal official duties. See above for one possible answer to that.

I have no direct information saying that this is what the government's intentions are, but it's certainly a plausible solution.

At this point in time Justin isn’t exactly the most popular lad in the country and has proven time and again he seeks to be loved. If he sees Harry as a vehicle to raise his fan base back to what it was a few years back, he’d do anything including a devils three way with the Sussex’s in an igloo in Iqaluit with Sophie running the camera.....
Take a funny informative, or an informative funny.

The news I saw with some Canadian political woman being interviewed she stated that they would not be paying for security if the two of them moved over. I am wondering if there is a bit of a split in the thinking and the extra expenditure will come back and bite Justin on his Arrse. 24/7 property security and his & hers details is not cheap, throw into the mix the fact that she pisses off people regularly and has had several close to her staff resign. I do not think it will be a much sought after posting, I can see her treating detail members as 'staff' and her hissy fits will soon wear thin as there is not direct'ish line down from the Royal Headshed to police and military like there is in the UK.

And what will happen to the security budget when Justin is deposed?

Last edited:
Random thought.
I bet Renault are relieved they dropped the "H" added an "E".
:rolleyes:

Taxi waiting......
Now behave....no jokes about how many blokes you can squeeze into a.......

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone know if there are road tunnels in the part of Canada they will settle in?

Just wondering.......

I previously said on either this or the other thread that I would not be surprised if a deal were worked out where the two were to conduct a certain number of public duties in Canada (visiting schools, hospitals, Indian reservations, getting photographed in places the tourism ministry wants to promote, etc.) and in return be designated as "protected persons" and so get police protection while in Canada. That would still leave them time to pursue business opportunities which appear to involve something to do with the fashion industry.

Regardless of whether Harry and Megan want to "step back from the public eye", they are still going to be targets for various terrorists and nutters who have an axe to grind with either Britain or Canada. They can in theory walk away from royal duties, but they can't in practice walk away from being royal targets to whatever nutter thinks that attacking them will stop the government from approving oil pipelines or has a grudge against Canadian or British foreign policy.

Realistically the Canadian government will take a massive load of blame from the Canadian public if anything happened to the couple and it turned out that security was somehow skimped on as well as being made to look very bad around the world. The UK tabloids that are busy crapping on Meghan now would be shedding tears of grief over how this wonderful flower so beloved by Britain was crushed by those evil, uncaring Canadians and they would be milking that story line for decades and spreading it around the world.

The simplest solution from Ottawa's point of view would be if Harry and Meghan were to patch things up with the rest of the Royal Family and soldier on as was expected of them. Given that this apparently isn't going to happen then some sort of formula is required which would show them providing some token of value in return for getting the same protection as they would if they were here on normal official duties. See above for one possible answer to that.

I have no direct information saying that this is what the government's intentions are, but it's certainly a plausible solution.
Visiting Indian reservations might pose a slight 'woke' problem if research is done - wrt black slavery utilised etc etc.

ex royal sussex is still up for grabs...
Although as the story notes, they actually went for a worldwide trademark a week before he submitted his application, so, rather ironically, the one who didn't show sufficient attention to detail is...er.... him.

Anyway, although from a while ago, this seems appropriate:

Matt - Royal Baby privacy cartoon 2019.png

Everyone I’ve talked to about Harry setting up house on this side of the pond really doesn’t care what he does as long as they aren’t footing the bill, which I agree with as well.
No-one wants to foot the security bill! This is the big discussion going on behind the scenes as the Royals are hoping they can get a government, either UK or Canada, to fund it.

Rich people remain rich by not spending their money, so I'll wager it finally ends up with UK taxpayers stumping up for it.

All I see is a decent guy with credible service, a heart of gold who's maybe wanting to do the best by the woman he loves, who didn't have a choice in which family he was born into, want to do his own thing without the world on his shoulders over every decision he makes, who use things like "cost to the taxpayer" to justify their interest. (When it suits them, obviously, unless he's being a good egg, then he's worth it because the Royals bring in more in tourism than they cost blah blah).
Harry was popular becuase he was a bit of a rogue and appeared to apply himself to his various roles.

That sentiment has changed because his behaviour has changed. Take the Disney episode as an example. It's worthy of Fergie on her worst day....and extremely ill-considered action at an inappropriate time, that would have embarrassed me were I his father. His and his wife's actions wrt their "standing down" appears calculated to back his grandmother into a corner. His wife has gone further, as has been well covered here. Now the spin from the Sussex camp is that she didn't participate in the meeting via conference call because she didn't need to........hardly shunning the media they so despise. Their very actions are a clarion call for media attention. A "slow retirement" could have easily been arranged, whereby royal duties could have been slowly reduced over time......but the good Dutchess wouldn't have graced the front pages.

Anyway, if that means I've misunderstood then so be it.
Indeed, so be it.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Harry was popular becuase he was a bit of a rogue and appeared to apply himself to his various roles.

That sentiment has changed because his behaviour has changed. Take the Disney episode as an example. It's worthy of Fergie on her worst day....and extremely ill-considered action at an inappropriate time, that would have embarrassed me were I his father. His and his wife's actions wrt their "standing down" appears calculated to back his grandmother into a corner. His wife has gone further, as has been well covered here. Now the spin from the Sussex camp is that she didn't participate in the meeting via conference call because she didn't need to........hardly shunning the media they so despise. Their very actions are a clarion call for media attention. A "slow retirement" could have easily been arranged, whereby royal duties could have been slowly reduced over time......but the good Dutchess wouldn't have graced the front pages.

Indeed, so be it.
I can see your mind is already made up... But even the Daily Mail conceded that Kensington Palace denied an invite to the RM Memorial was even received.

So did Harry snub the RMs or did the Palace not get the invite? Even though we don't have proof either way, people have already decided based on what they've read.

You appear unable to differentiate between a commitment and an aspiration. Wanting to do something and actually doing something are a long way apart.
Hello Comrade Corbyn we've been expecting you

Bobby_Bert

Clanker
Trudeau has raised some questions on who will pay for their security. Maybe the Canadians aren't as excited as they should be at their arrival?

Trudeau has raised some questions on who will pay for their security. Maybe the Canadians aren't as excited as they should be at their arrival?
He's probably just worried they'll take attention away by being more woke than him

Bobby_Bert

Clanker
I think the biggest danger comes from those royals who abuse their position. Handy Andy has been notorious in doing this. However, Prince Edward and Princess Anne are very hardworking. We now have another royal crisis with Harry and Meg and quite frankly ginge has mishandled this very badly.

It would be a good idea if there was a protocol set that made sure that every immediate royal had a job to do within the realm. I.e. the armed forces, respected charities or indeed as young ambassadors for the reigning family. This would give them a real idea of how people outside their small world lived their lives.

There should also be a strong scrutiny of those the royals choose to marry. The farce we have seen played out over the last few months could so easily have been avoided if the Royal Family insisted on meeting Megan’s family. It is not too much to ask that two families should not be introduced. Specially as anyone coming into ‘The Firm’ has a major shift in their lifestyle and needs to understand the commitment to this country. That Meg was allowed to rudely stay away from welcoming the President off the Free World (Despite him being a mong) because she preferred Hillary to Trump was beyond acceptance. The fact that she was allowed to get away with spreading her left wing Woke opinions when the Royal Family need to be seen to be neutral seems to me to scream disaster in the wings.

However, now that sicknote has set a precedent for younger royals to walk away from public service I do believe that all the younger royals should be given this choice on the clear understanding that no further public money or favour will be forthcoming. I also hope it will be made clear to Megan that the commercial use of the Sussex title will be seen as breaking a code of conduct that could be taken through the courts. Now there’s a thought! Imagine working in the CPS HQ that day !

Different versions of the following video have been distributed through various news channels, but this is the only thing I've seen him say about it so far. When he starts twitching and high speed waffling like this it means that he's stalling to fill time and either doesn't have an answer or else can't talk about what he does know. He needs to work on his politician's delivery more.

After having watched him for a few years now, the one thing in what he said that does seem to have the aura of substance about it is:
“There are still a lot of decisions to be taken by the Royal Family, by the Sussexes themselves as to what level of engagement they choose to have,” Trudeau said. “We are obviously supportive of their reflections but have responsibilities in that as well.”

“We’re not entirely sure what the final decisions will be.”
The "what level of engagement they choose to have" possibly relates to what royal duties they continue to assume and where (e.g. in the UK or elsewhere in the Commonwealth). I suspect the final answer will revolve around that, and that it is still under negotiation.

As for how Canadians feel about it, there were many positive things said about their visit to Canada, and people in general wished them well in general. Right now there's a lot of negative press coming out of the UK about them so it's probably not a good time to judge how the public will receive them over the longer run.

Trudeau seems to be supportive of the idea, but then he and the Sussex's have close mutual friends and I don't think he's above doing favours for friends provided he can put a veneer of respectability on it.

The opposition in parliament will of course have to find fault with whatever the government do, as that's their role in life. However, the Conservatives are kicking off a leadership race right now, and any aspiring leader of that party is unlikely to come out as looking like opposing the idea of Harry and Meghan living in Canada, considering the type of person who is going to be active in the party in Ontario, which is the province they have to win if they hope to govern some day. And the Sussex's have friends they can prevail upon in that party as well, although perhaps without as direct a line to the top (depending on who ends up as party leader). Again, the key will be putting a veneer of respectability on it.

The answer would seem to be to have some sort of fudge, where Harry continues to do an agreed upon amount of public duties, in Canada, in the UK, and in the rest of the Commonwealth, but to be based in Canada. Canada would pay for security while they are in Canada, and the UK would pay for it while he was elsewhere. For purely business trips they may be required to reimburse security costs out of their own pocket, which they could presumably charge as business expenses assuming their business is a success. The door would be left open to be reconciled with the rest of the family after some time has passed.

I've no idea if that will be the actual solution, but I would not be surprised if something like this is under negotiation.

Latest Threads