• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Harry Gets His Wings.

And more crap reporting by the Forces favorite toilet paper...

Well done Sir.

THRILLED Prince Harry beams with pride yesterday as he receives his coveted RAF wings from his dad.

And Prince Charles, Colonel In Chief of the Army Air Corps, couldn't disguise his delight as he told his Top Gun son: "You're looking very smart if I may say so."

Harry, 25 - cheered by girlfriend Chelsy Davy - will now start training to fly the £46million Apache gunship.

If he earns the prized qualification, he could be back in Afghanistan blasting the Taliban by the end of next year.

Harry, who also won a prestigious award for his tactical ability, was one of nine Army Air Corps trainees to receive his wings at the Army Aviation Centre in Middle Wallop, Hants.

The tension clearly affected him as he went to shake his dad's hand during the inspection instead of keeping his arms by his side as protocol dictates.

After receiving his wings, Harry was handed his Army Air Corps light blue beret by 61-year-old Charles - swapping it for his Household Cavalry cap.

In being picked to fly the military's top attack chopper, Harry can boast he is among the leading two per cent of Army Air Corps trainees.

He said before the event: "It's a huge honour to have the chance to train on the Apache, which is an awesome helicopter. There is a huge mountain to climb, but I'm very determined."

Chelsy, 24, in a cream mini-dress and matching heels, later kissed Charles at the reception after the event - a sign the Royal Family has warmed to her.

(Remember the post in the sticky about commenting on Wills & Harry before replying)

A

ALVIN

Not long now before he becomes Marshal of the Air Force, :p

Promotion comes at lightning speed for some people.

Used to be just about everyone air and ground crew wore light blue with regt/corps badge , not sure if the aircrew now have to rebadge on qualification.?? I wanted to go AAC along with a mate from QDG , we both got nasty bollocking from manning and records RAC and quickly posted back to our regiments, they were having a bit of a war over "poaching"

and the blue-red-blue backing is part of his cap=badge?

The AAC guys I did dunker with were all wearing their original capbadge - R Anglians and REME spring to mind.

alfred_the_great said:

The AAC guys I did dunker with were all wearing their original capbadge - R Anglians and REME spring to mind.
Then they weren't AAC guys - they were seconded to AAC for a pilot's tour: a career-enhancing experience second only in officer career terms, to going into the SAS as a mid-ranking Capt too old for a Platoon/Tp too young for a Sqn, not yet ready for a Staff Job.

At least that's how it was in my time.

Must have been pilot's wings on half the 1 and 2 Star officers in HQ ARRC (didn't Dannatt have pilot's wings?)

Chaps like that seldom re-badge though. Not much prospect of reaching CGS via the AAC-badged route

Still - if you're only on step down the ladder from being hd of state . . . . who needs to worry about a first career? :D

blonde_guy said:
Are there a lot of "attached" pilots wearing the sky blue beret with their Inf/RAC cap badge?
All those who are attached to the AAC. If Harry decides to carry on with his flying career with the AAC he will rebadge. It isn't a given with most pilots but with Harry, who knows.

Oh no - that wasn't a wah, was it??

Stonker said:
alfred_the_great said:

Then they weren't AAC guys - they were seconded to AAC for a pilot's tour: a career-enhancing experience second only in officer career terms, to going into the SAS as a mid-ranking Capt too old for a Platoon/Tp too young for a Sqn, not yet ready for a Staff Job.

At least that's how it was in my time.

Must have been pilot's wings on half the 1 and 2 Star officers in HQ ARRC (didn't Dannatt have pilot's wings?)

Chaps like that seldom re-badge though. Not much prospect of reaching CGS via the AAC-badged route

Still - if you're only on step down the ladder from being hd of state . . . . who needs to worry about a first career? :D
Dannatt was Colonel of the Corps

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
No Wah (I'd have asked about his medals if it was a wah)

Why did his brother also a member of the HCR go to the RAF to train
Has he jacked the HCR and transferred across as he wears the uniform
Would he not have been better joing the RAF straight off?

the_boy_syrup said:
No Wah (I'd have asked about his medals if it was a wah)

Why did his brother also a member of the HCR go to the RAF to train
Has he jacked the HCR and transferred across as he wears the uniform
Would he not have been better joing the RAF straight off?
The RAF pilots who were attached to my squadrons at one time or another wore a light blue beret and an RAF badge, with army unifrom. But I seem to remember that William had transfered.

Ancient_Mariner said:
Other papers mentioned 'provisional wings'. What's that then? Will he need to have L plates on his Apache and a qualified pilot sitting on his lap?
He's got the Army Flying Badge (wings) based on a training aircraft (Squirrel). To fly Lynx or the AH he must convert to type. Failure is rareish but not unheard of. So in effect those wings are 'provisional' until a successful CTT.

One thing is for sure, if he passes the Apache course then he actually has passed it, not been given it because he is a HRH.

I'm told by the guys that actually fly them that you either can or can't, no in between and that the biggest mind fcuk is the monocle.

I hope he does, I like him, he's a fellow ginge and therefore a virile and brave man :)

Latest Threads