Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

I did once come out of a petrol station in Dover and proceed up the right hand side of the road for about 50 yards or so.
Yep I did it once as well when on leave from Germany, came out the petrol station and onto the right side of the road. Fortunately is was a quiet road with not a lot of traffic on it.

Yep I did it once as well when on leave from Germany, came out the petrol station and onto the right side of the road. Fortunately is was a quiet road with not a lot of traffic on it.

I done much the same thing in london, approached a staggered cross road, went across and straight on to the right side much to the surprise of a pedestrian standing on the centre road small island. frightening! ( from Amhurst park road across into Eade road, north london)

When I lived in Germany and back over here, I drove on the wrong side of the road from about a mile east of Prestwick airport, through a set of traffic lights, round a roundabout the wrong way, and it was only when I saw the two arrows pointing in the direction I was coming from that the penny dropped. My initial reaction was WTF...

This all happened at about 03:15 and not one other car was on the road.

I managed it once in France on holiday.

After that I left my SatNav on permanently on the windscreen to remind me which way go go round the roundabouts.

And I wonder if there are any stats on Brit squaddies caught driving on the wrong side of the road whilst stationed in Germany?
Frequent occurrence on the HCSC Staff Ride in days gone by, allegedly.

I managed it once, although I did point out to the other occupants of the tour car that it was because of the UK-registered vehicle on the other side of the road which'd have had a head on with us had I stayed on the correct side... (it was 0655 in a side-street in Arras, and we were the only two vehicles driving in that road at the time)

Lots of mouthed 'Oops! Sorry!' from both vehicles ....

One of my uncles drove on the wrong side of the road in France once as well - but as he was in a Cromwell Mk IV at the time, the recently-liberated French policeman who'd directed the leading Daimler armoured car onto the other side of the street with vigorous hand gestures stepped out of the way and let him past. Along with the rest of B Sqn 15/19 KRH which happened to be following him at the time... (this story may have grown between summer 1944 and when I heard it circa 1981, I will freely concede).

When I lived in Germany and back over here, I drove on the wrong side of the road from about a mile east of Prestwick airport, through a set of traffic lights, round a roundabout the wrong way, and it was only when I saw the two arrows pointing in the direction I was coming from that the penny dropped. My initial reaction was WTF...

My father and I did similar. His resulted in a (thankfully not serious) head on collision on the back road from Catterick to Richmond. Mine involved a lamp that appeared out of nowhere.

Do the Americans receive familiarisation when they get to the UK? It might help them. Especially when using roundabouts.

I remember going somewhere near Nottingham to do some sort of European driving course before being allowed to drive in Europe.

Been there, done that! Similar time of day, thank God.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
As fun as all of these 'I drove on the wrong side of the road' anecdotes are, did any of you kill a young man then flee the country despite saying you wouldn't?

As fun as all of these 'I drove on the wrong side of the road' anecdotes are, did any of you kill a young man then flee the country despite saying you wouldn't?

Good point well made...and now back on thread....What's happening with the septic's extradition back for her court appearance?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Zhopa

War Hero
Do the Americans receive familiarisation when they get to the UK? It might help them. Especially when using roundabouts.
Since this is one of the several questions that come up for discussion on this thread on about a six-week cycle (fair enough, not many of us have time to wade through 77 pages to thoroughly back brief themselves), here is the answer (para 3 refers).

Robme

LE
I suppose for those of us who drove in BAOR, the problem of driving on the wrong side of the road was alleviated by the fact that MOD vehicles were LHD in the first place. I am trying to wrack my tiny mind to remember any incidents of doing a Seculas in a MOD vehicle and failed. However almost obliterated, Mrs. Robme the 1st in France along the Loir, head on duel with a 44ton mega truc, fortunately there was a bit of dirt pull off to escape.
Later in life, when I used to work for Cambridgeshire County Council, we had a large number of incidents involving septics and wrong way drivers (I had by then lost a Vauxhall Visa due to a Septic Airman on my side of the road, on my way home when I lived in Peterborough. We had shed loads of US Airmen sniffing the numerous single parents loose in the city).
A meeting was held with the Head Airman from RAF Lakenheath as Alcolnbury had closed by then, although there were a number of Septics who lived in Cambs. The Councils, Plod, RoSPA and the RHA & FTA all got together and thrashed out a plan to help the septics to understand that the bigger the truck did not give them right of way. Lots of ideas were thrown in the ring and it turned out to be a very fruitful meeting with the accident rate for Septic wrong way drivers dramatically being reduced subsequently. However what was made clear, was that there was little/No possibility of certain levels of Airmen being brought to U.K. Courts in the even of an incident. The base at the time was the home for their U2 spy planes (and subsequent versions) and the CO was most keen to impress on us that those pilots could ‘murder‘ someone and still not end up in U.K. courts.
It is all a bit gauling that 20 years later (and one of the attendees was head of Septic Driving in the U.K.) the lesson that were learnt and measures we introduced would appear to be ignored or forgotten. RIP Harry.

I suppose for those of us who drove in BAOR, the problem of driving on the wrong side of the road was alleviated by the fact that MOD vehicles were LHD in the first place. I am trying to wrack my tiny mind to remember any incidents of doing a Seculas in a MOD vehicle and failed. However almost obliterated, Mrs. Robme the 1st in France along the Loir, head on duel with a 44ton mega truc, fortunately there was a bit of dirt pull off to escape.
Later in life, when I used to work for Cambridgeshire County Council, we had a large number of incidents involving septics and wrong way drivers (I had by then lost a Vauxhall Visa due to a Septic Airman on my side of the road, on my way home when I lived in Peterborough. We had shed loads of US Airmen sniffing the numerous single parents loose in the city).
A meeting was held with the Head Airman from RAF Lakenheath as Alcolnbury had closed by then, although there were a number of Septics who lived in Cambs. The Councils, Plod, RoSPA and the RHA & FTA all got together and thrashed out a plan to help the septics to understand that the bigger the truck did not give them right of way. Lots of ideas were thrown in the ring and it turned out to be a very fruitful meeting with the accident rate for Septic wrong way drivers dramatically being reduced subsequently. However what was made clear, was that there was little/No possibility of certain levels of Airmen being brought to U.K. Courts in the even of an incident. The base at the time was the home for their U2 spy planes (and subsequent versions) and the CO was most keen to impress on us that those pilots could ‘murder‘ someone and still not end up in U.K. courts.
It is all a bit gauling that 20 years later (and one of the attendees was head of Septic Driving in the U.K.) the lesson that were learnt and measures we introduced would appear to be ignored or forgotten. RIP Harry.
replace US airmen with drunken Poles etc in rural parts, and nothing has changed on the roads.

Latest Threads