Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

I would hire folks like you who could, to try and prevent this from happening again. You can’t fix the past but you can shape the future.
I'm could give advise to drivers of trucks, cars and motorcycles. More pertinent I drove a left hooker truck on UK roads for 6 years.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm could give advise to drivers of trucks, cars and motorcycles. More pertinent I drove a left hooker truck on UK roads for 6 years.
And I can tell them how to steer their cars when pissed.

Is it true that on base they drive on the right hand side of the road?
I've no idea, but nothing would surprise me. If they do, then it would hardly prepare drivers for the public road outside the base.
No, they would appear to drive on the left. Google Maps shows clear road markings.

RAF Croughton
RAF Croughton road junctions on base.JPG

RAF Lakenheath
RAF Lakenheath road junctions on base.JPG

RAF Mildenhall
RAF Mildenhall road junctions on base.JPG

USAF personnel and dependents in East Anglia are given plenty of information about how difficult it is to drive in the UK before they arrive, and also support in making the transition to getting around off-base like the natives.

Driving in the UK

Safety

Interestingly, the latter link above includes some roads local to Mildenhall and Lakenheath on which USAF personnel and dependents are forbidden from overtaking anything other than cyclists and tractors, even though the roads themselves are straight and have broken central lines.

Living in East Anglia and regularly seeing USAF personnel and hangers-on driving off-base, it has occurred to me that road safety would be improved if they were forbidden from bringing over their nice LHD trucks and SUVs which are too large for rural English roads and car parks, and were provided with the means to acquire (or use for the duration of their posting) a RHD vehicle. They'd be less likely to drive on the wrong side of the road too, as the driver's position would be next to the verge if they tried.

Mrs Sarcoolas couldn't have been paying attention to the road in front of her as, before she hit Harry Dunn, she drove over a 'SLOW' warning painted on the road (which would have been upside-down to her driving on the right-hand side of the road) and past two big white arrows in the broken central line directing overtaking traffic into the correct carriageway before solid lines for the bend and hill where Harry was killed. Hope the police checked her phone.

Google Maps is marvellous. Sarcoolas's view (albeit darker as sunset for Brackley was 20.06 on 27th August) going towards the crash site just over the brow of the hill where the road disappears below:
Harry Dunn crash.JPG

Ok for the impaired. Offenses escalate. One could be cited for careless driving for a variety of reasons...

On the scale of serious traffic offenses, it really is not.

If one is cited and convicted of the violation the penalty is a fine and a mark on the driving record. In my state no loss of driving privileges is associated with a careless driving conviction.

So yes I know what I am talking about when it comes to traffic citations.

Here is a list of ACD codes which is a universal description of the offense as it is classified here in the States.

So before you give me your perspective about what is what in your opinion, do realize that these sorts of things are State Statues. Created by folks who know what they are doing. Not the opinion of somebody who has been on the road for a decade at most...
I feel theres some confusion
UK careless = serious
You are saying US careless = not serious

The trouble is you are arguing US over a UK incident and terminology - others are simply presenting arguments from the UK perspective

It does seem theres some crossed purposes here

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Stig991

Swinger
I will also put it to you that I expect an apology as well as your subsequent posts taken together were needlessly strident and at points rude and insulting on a personal level, when NOTHING in the thread I said previously was of that tenor
YOU expect an apology? Your immediate flagrant whatabouttery whenever the US establishment is portrayed here in a bad light and you accuse others of being irrational? US Marines do often sound a tad indoctrinated by their "beloved corps", and you don't appear to be an exception.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I do this because I am a rational adult, and especially in the context of some other ARRSERs' posts (including several where there is a very clear pattern suggesting an intent in posting other than to convey information and prompt reasoned discussion), do not harbor irrational ill feelings toward the British military or nation in general. It is a technique I heartily commend to other ARRSERs who wish to be taken seriously, at least by me, and I suspect a fair few others.
No jumpinjarhead, you are an ignorant septic who can't handle the US or US forces being factually portrayed in a negative light hence your pathetic whatabouttery. "But but but a British officer in Ireland!" Yes, and you do realise our forces are far better trained and more professional than yours, meaning the rate of incidence of this kind of thing is far lower?

Your pathetic response regarding the cavalese disaster demonstrated that too. Denial, ignorance, delusion. And of course the case with Harry Dunn. "Oh no US being bad again, must raise irrelevant case regarding British diplomat immunity far less serious and not involving US citizens". **** off, soldier.
You are an extraordinarily rude young man, I hope you don't believe that your attitude is prevalent within the British Army.

YOU expect an apology? Your immediate flagrant whatabouttery whenever the US establishment is portrayed here in a bad light and you accuse others of being irrational? US Marines do often sound a tad indoctrinated by their "beloved corps", and you don't appear to be an exception.
I phrased my criticism of the outcome of this sorry affair very carefully, as I genuinely did not want to upset anyone, least of all JJH.
Unfortunately he seems to have taken my criticism as personal insult, and portrays me as being some kind of US hater.
The fact is, a USMC pilot killed twenty people, the US refused to extradite him to Italy to face charges and he has escaped punishment.
Pointing this out has led to a retired USMC Colonel having an attack of the vapours.

Chesty Puller must be turning in his grave.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I phrased my criticism of the outcome of this sorry affair very carefully, as I genuinely did not want to upset anyone, least of all JJH.
Unfortunately he seems to have taken my criticism as personal insult, and portrays me as being some kind of US hater.
The fact is, a USMC pilot killed twenty people, the US refused to extradite him to Italy to face charges and he has escaped punishment.
Pointing this out has led to a retired USMC Colonel having an attack of the vapours.

Chesty Puller must be turning in his grave.
Maybe you shouldn't set out to be so deliberately provocative so often.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a death. It must be death by something...

It surely must be death by careless at the very least., although causing a death by driving on the wrong side of the road is, in my book, dangerous.

If I was the arresting officer it would of been by dangerous and CPS can downgrade as necessary.
I heard it stated that it was covered on CCTV, I do not know whether the volvo had a dash cam or the camps cameras covered the road that far, I hope those images never get out into the public forum

Latest Threads