Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

I concur, but the UK seems to be a in a bit of a weird funk as of late.

Political totally screwed up, Agreed, however, that does not change the basic mind-set of the British character, a sense of fair play, a basic common decency, respect for the rule of law. A tolerance of the different and strange, the decency to admit defeat, and we will always support the underdog. ( Eddie the Eagle) As in all things, there are limits, and with the absconding of a suspect, in the death of a British national, those tolerances are being stretched to their limits.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Political totally screwed up, Agreed, however, that does not change the basic mind-set of the British character, a sense of fair play, a basic common decency, respect for the rule of law. A tolerance of the different and strange, the decency to admit defeat, and we will always support the underdog. ( Eddie the Eagle) As in all things, there are limits, and with the absconding of a suspect, in the death of a British national, those tolerances are being stretched to their limits.

But what does it mean to be British anymore?? You have places like London which get all the publicity which is then what we get over here.

Contrary to popular belief I don't think of the UK as a third world banana republic. But you folks expect us window lickers over here to have an in depth knowledge of your legal system when we don't. Nobody likes flying blind.

I could tell you what would happen to the driver over here, but haven't a clue as to what process she would undergo your way.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Please do, I am genially interested, however, I do not know the law well enough to tell you what she could expect over here, other more enlightened Arrsers probably can.
Depending on what the investigation team finds, worse case would be this for her.

§ 6-2-106. Homicide by vehicle; aggravated homicide by vehicle; penalties.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person is guilty of homicide by vehicle and shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) or imprisoned in the county jail for not more than one (1) year, or both, if he operates or drives a vehicle in a criminally negligent manner, and his conduct is the proximate cause of the death of another person. Evidence of a violation of any state law or ordinance applying to the operation or use of a vehicle or to the regulation of traffic, except for evidence of a violation of W.S. 10-6-103, 31-5-233 and 41-13-206, is admissible in any prosecution under this subsection.
(b) A person is guilty of aggravated homicide by vehicle and shall be punished by imprisonment in the penitentiary for not more than twenty (20) years, if:
(i) While operating or driving a vehicle in violation of W.S. 10-6-103, 31-5-233 or 41-13-206, he causes the death of another person and the violation is the proximate cause of the death; or
(ii) He operates or drives a vehicle in a reckless manner, and his conduct is the proximate cause of the death of another person.
(c) The department of transportation shall revoke the license or permit to drive and the nonresident operating privilege of any person convicted of aggravated homicide by vehicle or of homicide by vehicle.
(d) Any person convicted of aggravated homicide by vehicle for causing the death of another person while operating or driving a vehicle in violation of W.S. 31-5-233 shall not be issued an ignition interlock restricted license under W.S. 31-5-233 or 31-7-401 through 31-7-404.

History

But sentencing is determined by a judge and plea deals are also possible.

I had a nightmare back in April where a 20 year old managed to kill two motorcyclists and his passenger. But we are still waiting to figure out what the courts will do, as this is not a fast process.

I had a nightmare back in April where a 20 year old managed to kill two motorcyclists and his passenger. But we are still waiting to figure out what the courts will do, as this is not a fast process.
There was an incident in the US a while ago, that even made the Motorcycle press over here. Some guy driving a big pickup pulling a long trailer, took out a load of bikers coming the other way.
The photo's made available showed a twisty road in a forest, ring any bells?

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
There was an incident in the US a while ago, that even made the Motorcycle press over here. Some guy driving a big pickup pulling a long trailer, took out a load of bikers coming the other way.
The photo's made available showed a twisty road in a forest, ring any bells?
Was it on Wyoming 210? It seems like the accident your referring to is a different one.
Two bikers were killed one was seriously injured and the kids passenger was killed. But I think he was in a fast car. But as it stands no charges have been filed against the driver.

I would guess that the American lady could be charged as follows Possible charge

However its for the Crown Prosecution Service to determine court case, and I expect that it will be "not in public interest to proceed"

Archie

The media is the media both sides of the Atlantic. They are businesses and report what they think they can sell.
Yep they are and yes the do, even if it means ruining the life of a person later found to be innocent.

Archie, from the BBC article I noted that they reported, "The non-attendance came on the same day that US President Donald Trump intervened in the case of a US diplomat's wife who flew back to America after driving on the wrong side of a British road killing a teenager, instead of facing a police investigation."

Nothing like reporting the facts mate and that is certainly nothing like it. Trump didn't intervene in the case, all he did was read out the decision/notes made by the US Secretary of State.

As for the two National Guardsmen involved in this case, I honestly don't know how that works mate, what with them being part time soldiers. Personally I'd have like to have seen them attend the inquest

Last edited:
Archie, from the BBC article I noted that they reported, "The non-attendance came on the same day that US President Donald Trump intervened in the case of a US diplomat's wife who flew back to America after driving on the wrong side of a British road killing a teenager, instead of facing a police investigation."

Nothing like reporting the facts mate and that is certainly nothing like it. Trump didn't intervene in the case, all he did was read out the decision/notes made by the US Secretary of State.

As for the two National Guardsmen involved in this case, I honestly don't know how that works mate, what with them being part time soldiers. Personally I'd have like to have seen them attend the inquest
Agreed that they should have attended. It was an inquest and not a court to determine guilt, though I doubt they understood that. It should have been a matter of a duty flight to the U.K. and attendance in uniform. They were after all on duty representing the US Govt at the time.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads