Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

It would certainly set a precedent, one which the US would either come to regret immensely or else be highly selective about.

There is no way on God's Green Earth that the CIA would give up a former intelligence officer; however, she could (and , imho, should) be prosecuted in a US court, assuming that the Americans would consent to this.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
She'll never be forceably returned to the UK, unless MOSSAD gets involved.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There is no way on God's Green Earth that the CIA would give up a former intelligence officer; however, she could (and , imho, should) be prosecuted in a US court, assuming that the Americans would consent to this.
Quite. But in the latter case I'd be very surprised of any meaningful outcome.

Americans tend to do very well in American courts against foreigners, as you know.

StormsInAfrica

War Hero
For me the distinction here is that she is not being prosecuted vexatiously. An event took place that resulted in a death and she must answer for that. That the US have chosen to apply her immunity as an absolute I think does not hold water - particularly when you factor in that it is the UK they are dealing with. It's not some trumped up Russian charge of espionage being used against an accredited US citizen.

StormsInAfrica

War Hero
Quite. But in the latter case I'd be very surprised of any meaningful outcome.

Americans tend to do very well in American courts against foreigners, as you know.
And i'm not certain that would be enough for the family. Perhaps a happy medium would be an agreement that she serve any sentence (without wishing to prejudice the outcome) in the US.

And i'm not certain that would be enough for the family. Perhaps a happy medium would be an agreement that she serve any sentence (without wishing to prejudice the outcome) in the US.

I would imagine that she would cop a plea deal and be sentenced to a combination of time served and probation, but it would be a warning to other American military and intelligence personnel based in the UK that they are responsible for their actions on our roads.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I would imagine that she would cop a plea deal and be sentenced to a combination of time served and probation, but it would be a warning to other American military and intelligence personnel based in the UK that they are responsible for their actions on our roads.
Still an unsatisfactory outcome to a rather shabby incident, though.

Were they to be awarded. As I say, I'm not convinced of a successful outcome for the family. Far from it, in fact.
To be fair it would be the same in reverse, we wouldn’t give up an intelligence asset (spouse), for similar.

There are frequent crimes committed with pre mediation by several diplomats from less friendly countries, which are not reported in the media, as no doubt ours have and are.
We start nailing diplomats to the cross and prosecuting them, guess what happens to ours?

I suspect she will not leave the USA ever again, she will be for ever know as that person who forgot which side of the road to drive on, the family will get a financial settlement and that’s it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair it would be the same in reverse, we wouldn’t give up an intelligence asset (spouse), for similar.

There are frequent crimes committed with pre mediation by several diplomats from less friendly countries, which are not reported in the media, as no doubt ours have and are.
We start nailing diplomats to the cross and prosecuting them, guess what happens to ours?

I suspect she will not leave the USA ever again, she will be for ever know as that person who forgot which side of the road to drive on, the family will get a financial settlement and that’s it.
Very much in agreement, here.

Being realistic, it is probably the best that we can hope for.
I don’t even think it will even go that far, as it will have severe implications on our serving diplomats, armed forces etc, I’m not worried about the USA, I would be more concerned in less friendly states.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Fine words butter no parsnips and the US does not extradite its citizens. I suggest it's flim-flam.

Fine words butter no parsnips and the US does not extradite its citizens. I suggest it's flim-flam.
The Home Office disagree
7 US Citizens extradited between 2004-11

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Biden is sympathetic.
Great.
Trump was probably sympathetic too, but he's the orange man, he's Republican, and he's Trump, grrr !

Creepy Joe's made his virtue signal and that'll be the end of it.
Trumps sympathy went as far as ‘oh dear how sad, never mind’ and would you now like to hug and forgive Sacoolas in the room next door

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Trumps sympathy went as far as ‘oh dear how sad, never mind’ and would you now like to hug and forgive Sacoolas in the room next door
I don't have any direct contact with him so cannot comment with any accuracy.

Trump, grrr...
:roll:

Latest Threads