Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

Which precedents are those?
The Greek example..... happy to extract a Greek Diplomat back to the USA to stand trial for death by careless driving despite his claim of diplomatic immunity.

The Greek example..... happy to extract a Greek Diplomat back to the USA to stand trial for death by careless driving despite his claim of diplomatic immunity.
You really don't understand how this works, do you? US Courts have no jurisdiction in Greece, or the UK for that matter. The Greek Interior Ministry would have had to agree to his extradition (based on a primae facie case presented by in the US extradition request) in consultation with their Foreign Ministry. I can't be arrsed to look it up, but presumably there is a GRK-USA Extradition Treaty in place which would facilitate this.

You really don't understand how this works, do you? US Courts have no jurisdiction in Greece, or the UK for that matter. The Greek Interior Ministry would have had to agree to his extradition (based on a primae facie case presented by in the US extradition request) in consultation with their Foreign Ministry. I can't be arrsed to look it up, but presumably there is a GRK-USA Extradition Treaty in place which would facilitate this.
Still got on a flight back to the USA...... leverage......like using up your brownie points .... extract digit(s) and get up too speed.

Last edited:
And our leverage on the US to bring her back to the UK is...?
Unsinkable aircraft carrier that has trouble with people that drive on the right......

70,000 + families BAOR UK guests in West Germany did not have this problem.

2 little old german dears in Bunde got decapitated in their beetle as they tried to drive under an Army truck at high speed delivering stores to the SOXMIS site.... the truck driver was pissed off as he just been given this easy task as he had been involved in 2 driving fatalities in the last 2 weeks and nothing nasty could happen on this milk run.

Last edited:
Unsinkable aircraft carrier that has trouble with people that drive on the right......

Although the UK has made vigorous protests and sought to extradite Mrs Sakoolas to face the courts here, it isn't going to happen, and no sane (or even insane) PM would jeopardise the benefits of the special relationship because of a irretrievably lost life, by threatening to hoof the US out over a matter that does not have merit in International Law.

I recall several nasty road accidents and at least one death which were attributed to being on the wrong side of the road, during my 3 years in Germany. But as I have pointed out, Mr & Mrs Sakoolas and their family are not covered by a SOFA, they are covered by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, specifically designed to allow Diplomats - howsoever described - to go about their business, without fear - including UK diplomats and their families.

Last edited:
2 little old german dears in Bunde got decapitated in their beetle as they tried to drive under an Army truck at high speed delivering stores to the SOXMIS site.... the truck driver was pissed off as he just been given this easy task as he had been involved in 2 driving fatalities in the last 2 weeks and nothing nasty could happen on this milk run.
Was this a product of Google Translate?

In August 1999 a 101 Logs Bde driver managed to kill (IIRC decapitate) a North Macedonian chap with a DROPS vehicle near Skopje. The UK paid compensation; there was no question of a local prosecution of the trooper, as jurisdiction was covered under a SOFA. @stacker1 might recall what happened to the drive on his return to UK (or was it Germany?)

Last edited:
Was this a product of Google Translate?
Is not the username explanation enough? :thumleft:

I will concur that it's not immediately clear that the li'l'ol'ladies were the ones travelling at high speed, rather than the manoeuvring truck, but (since the latter was delvering to a SOXMIS site, and conceivably was perhaps piloted by one of the pernamently-pi$$ed-up Ivan Tovarici) I'd need further information before ruling it out as a possibility)

Still got on a flight back to the USA...... leverage......like using up your brownie points .... extract digit(s) and get up too speed.
She got on a flight legitimately.
Though she had told the police she wasn’t going anywhere, notification was given by the US to our authorities and though an objection was given it was after she had left, and as confirmed in court her leaving was valid.

She hasn’t escaped by being smuggled out hidden in a bag

And yet they still let you drive the school bus.

Is not the username explanation enough? :thumleft:

I will concur that it's not immediately clear that the li'l'ol'ladies were the ones travelling at high speed, rather than the manoeuvring truck, but (since the latter was delvering to a SOXMIS site, and conceivably was perhaps piloted by one of the pernamently-pi$$ed-up Ivan Tovarici) I'd need further information before ruling it out as a possibility)
I still don't understand why the kleine Haufrauen were delivering stuff to SOXMIS. But it was the Cold War, and by all accounts, everyone was permanently pissed. Youth today, eh?

Latest Threads