Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

I always assumed that she jumped into her car and drove an hour to Heathrow and bought a ticket on the first plane back to the USA, she'd have had plenty of choice and would have been back home quickly.
Instead she drove or was driven a lot further across country to Mildenhall and was put on a USAF flight. So firstly she didn't even pay for her flight and secondly there must have been quiet a few USAF/US pers who helped her get on the Mildenhall flight who must have known why she was a priority.

In the mid 1980's I was stupid enough to marry a USAF (female) and she had to go back to the US when one of her many hill billy redneck brothers was dying (he didn't, then) . Even though she had a reason to get back, her seat on a flight out of Mildenhall took a lot of arranging and the system weren't too keen to make it easy to arrange compassionate flights home.
Yeah I know it's been over 30 years and things change.

You still married to her lol

i have seen a lot of these AMC flights departures published on the Mildenhall Terminal FB site ...either hop on a returning KC-10, KC-135, C-17 or C-5

816F4177-5F15-4C2C-B9AB-096E59F95F18.jpeg

They Used to publish destinations which could range from usual j-B McGuire Dix Lakehurst, Travis, J-B McHord-Lewis, or as far NAS North Island or even cities ...couple of rare ones like Campbell Army Airfield or another army airfield would appear on the screen.

Lot of Trans Atlantic routes would stop at Keflavik or head into Europe to Ramstein, RotA.

I always exepcted to see contract airliner one fo their CrAF like Omni turn up as normal but alas not To pick up folks But then it would not be worth it if the odd spouse or dependent pet rabbit / dog fly back. Apparently one year one of the spotters out up photo of a shiny colourful Sun Country Airlines 737NG turned up one summer back in 2015! I thought that’s out of its beaten track (it’s a CRAF assigned).

cheers

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You still married to her lol

i have seen a lot of these AMC flights departures published on the Mildenhall Terminal FB site ...either hop on a returning KC-10, KC-135, C-17 or C-5

View attachment 523530

No thank f**k I learnt one hell of a lesson! 18 months later I was back in barracks doing what I should have been doing earlier like boozing and shagging any female with a pulse.

NEVER happen.

She will go to her grave mentally making excuses for this. She will see herself being chased by Gestapo with Derren Nesbitt accents in her mind.

Meanwhile the UK gov should be asking why so many US pers assigned to the UK have that Immunity status to include their families. If you aren't assigned to the embassy you should not have such status
It is clear that you do not understand how diplomatic privilege works. The sending state proposes person x and their family to move to the UK, typically replacing person y and their family, and seeks diplomatic privilege under the international convention.
Have you read the thread/reporting. The staff at Croughton have their dip immunity restricted to offences comitted while on duty (I think that's so they can do their dodgy spying without being arrested). It's an administrative cock-up that that restriction wasn't applied to their dependents.
That is known as A&T accreditation.

But there is general ignorance on this site about diplomatic privilege. It is granted by the Receiving State on application from the Sending State (which thus allows the Receiving State to remove it, but not retrospectively). The Sending State (eg the US) submits the names of the officer they seek to have accredited, alongside the family details (and can include a governess, a manservant and multiple wives, interestingly), along with the details of the diplomatic officer that they intend to replace. It's a 'one in - one out' process. Establishing new diplomatic positions is not straight-forward, although in the case of the USA and UK, it is a well-worn process. Typically, the Receiving State conducts a parity comparison along the lines of 'Why does Shitstania want a 15-strong trade delegation in the UK, alongside 15 other accredited diplomats (and their families) when the UK has three UK based staff in their capital. Shitstana, and we only buy £100,000 of fermented camel milk each year and they buy £5M of Rolls Royce's best CAVS for 'law enforcement'?

The security clearance of the officer involved would NOT be revealed to the Receiving State in the application to accredit. That is a Sending State matter.

As I frequently state, the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961 provides mutual protection for Diplomats and their families, and allows Embassies and their diplomats to go about their business with relative safety. It's not ideal and clearly not designed for the circumstances of poor Harry Dunne's demise. The US could have waived immunity from prosecution and Mrs Sakoolas could have ended up in court; the UK could have PNGd her, but that is seen as an aggressive step and normally only used against potentially hostile states. What the US did by removing her from the UK was SOP and in line with the Convention; it just lacked decency.

Last edited:

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It is clear that you do not understand how diplomatic privilege works. The sending state proposes person x and their family lis2 move to the UK, typically replacing person y and if and a family, and seeks diplomatic privilege under the international convention.

That is known as A&T accreditation.

But there is general ignorance on this site about diplomatic privilege. It is granted by the Receiving State on application from the Sending State (which thus allows the Receiving State to remove it, but not retrospectively). The Sending State (eg the US) submits the names of the officer they seek to have accredited, alongside the family details (and can include a governess, a manservant and multiple wives, interestingly), along with the details of the diplomatic officer that they intend to replace. It's a 'one in - one out' process. Establishing new diplomatic positions is not straight-forward, although in the case of the USA and UK, it is a well-worn process. Typically, the Receiving State conducts a parity comparison along the lines of 'Why does Shitstania want a 15-strong trade delegation in the UK, alongside 15 other accredited diplomats (and their families) when the UK has three UK based staff in their capital. Shitstana, and we only buy £100,000 of fermented camel milk each year and they buy £5M of Rolls Royce's best CAVS for 'law enforcement'?

The security clearance of the officer involved would NOT be revealed to the Receiving State in the application to accredit. That is a Sending State matter.

As I frequently state, the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961 provides mutual protection for Diplomats and their families, and allows Embassies and their diplomats to go about their business with relative safety. It's not ideal and clearly not designed for the circumstances of poor Harry Dunne's demise. The US could have waived immunity from prosecution and Mrs Sakoolas could have ended up in court; the UK could have PNGd her, but that is seen as an aggressive step and normally only used against potentially hostile states. What the US did by removing her from the UK was SOP and in line with the Convention; it just lacked decency.
I really hate it when a clear, unemotional and informative reply rears it's ugly head.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I always assumed that she jumped into her car and drove an hour to Heathrow and bought a ticket on the first plane back to the USA, she'd have had plenty of choice and would have been back home quickly.
Instead she drove or was driven a lot further across country to Mildenhall and was put on a USAF flight. So firstly she didn't even pay for her flight and secondly there must have been quiet a few USAF/US pers who helped her get on the Mildenhall flight who must have known why she was a priority.

In the mid 1980's I was stupid enough to marry a USAF (female) and she had to go back to the US when one of her many hill billy redneck brothers was dying (he didn't, then) . Even though she had a reason to get back, her seat on a flight out of Mildenhall took a lot of arranging and the system weren't too keen to make it easy to arrange compassionate flights home.
Yeah I know it's been over 30 years and things change.
As she was under investigation I suspect she wuld have been on a watch list for any departure through a civil airfield.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As she was under investigation I suspect she wuld have been on a watch list for any departure through a civil airfield.

yeah that makes sense, but it still offends me that the US Intel and airforce spirited her out the country.

On the point you made, is someone involved in a fatal accident even before it's gone to court put on a 'watch list'?

No, why? She was not subject to UK laws; moreover she had, at least initially, cooperated with the local constabulary..

The US Government makes extensive use of military and charter flights globally to move their people and families around. I wouldn't read too much into the point that she, as a DOD official, left the country on a military or mil charter flight. US personnel I have worked with in the past have often had to make very convoluted journeys to get to the CONUS, generally involving getting to either Mildenhall or Ramstein, rather than taken normal commercial flights (which would be quicker and cheaper). Additionally at hubs such as Mildenhall and Ramstein, US personnel are out-processed: ration cards are removed, local ID cards recovered, cars prepped for return to US, veterinary checks on pets and so on.

Last edited:

Hippohunter

War Hero
The High Court has just ruled that Sacoolas did have Diplomatic immunity. That’ll be that then. Never to be seen on these shores again and no justice for young Harry or his family.
Not quite, the High Court ruled she had diplomatic imunity at the time she fled the UK. She did not have diplomatic imunity at the time of the Harry Dunn incident. Many UK government departments moved heaven and earth to get her out as soon as possible. The sequence of events after the incident is very interesting as he was on her way to the airport with a freshly isdue diplomatic passport BEFORE the police investigation had even begun. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye and even more we will never hear about.

FFS, the Site author does go on ..and he is behind the times when talking about the flights from Mildenhall are ‚Military Airlift Command‘ . Jesus MAC has not existed for 2 and 3/4 decades. Shows his knowledge also he hardly mentions said Gulfstream Jet either..instead he Reckons she got spirited away in the back of a C-130J.

Also the page is waffle going onto other topics stuff like various Police hQ. He also makes a mountain out of molehill about a motorbike driving range on RAF Feltwell saying the road markings are akin to space Warfare. Anyhow well Feltwell was home of 5th Space Surveillance Squadron for over a decade from mid 90s to 2005 ( RAF Edzell closed) but it’s home to lesser known 18th Space Intel Sqn which comes under Peterson AFb.

The photographer Of the C-130J on his page I recognise the name and prob have encountered him at likes of RIAT or he’s a local spotter to the bases. Think his wife is civvy on Lakenheath..

cheers

Who?

Family will never be reconciled to the boy's death, that's certain.

I wonder if Sacoolas will learn to live with her own fundamental failure of personal integrity.

It's not as if she was in line for summary execution for a five second failure of concentration (which many who lived in BAOR would own up to).

Gutless, selfish weaselly creature.

You really think a CIA head of Section is crying into her coffee over an RTA?

Latest Threads