Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

Cavalese Cable car disaster.

By February 1999, the victims' families had received US$65,000 per victim as immediate help by the Italian government, which was reimbursed by the U.S. government.[17] In May 1999, the U.S. Congress rejected a bill that would have set up a $40 million compensation fund for the victims.[18] In December 1999, the Italian Parliament approved a monetary compensation plan for the families ($1.9 million per victim). NATO treaties obligated the U.S. government to pay 75% of this compensation, which it did.

I just wondered if this woman was classed as operating within N.A.T.O if so an award of £10 million to the family of Harry Dunn (taxable) might be an idea. It wont bring him back but it would be a little justice.

The High Court has just ruled that Sacoolas did have Diplomatic immunity. That’ll be that then. Never to be seen on these shores again and no justice for young Harry or his family.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The High Court has just ruled that Sacoolas did have Diplomatic immunity. That’ll be that then. Never to be seen on these shores again and no justice for young Harry or his family.
We're not surprised are we? Another example of 'the special relationship' which only seems to exist in desperate UK politicians certainly not in Washington DC unless of course the Whitehouse wants something.

We're not surprised are we? Another example of 'the special relationship' which only seems to exist in desperate UK politicians certainly not in Washington DC unless of course the Whitehouse wants something.
Unfortunately, there is a regular drumbeat of persons with diplomatic privilege who are accredited to London who misbehave and have to leave the country. As I have said, ad nauseum, the Vienna Convention of Diplomatic Relations 1961 works because every country (pretty much) observes it because of the principal of reciprocity. For example, if the FCDO recommends to the Home Office that son of Diplomat Z from Centralasiastan is detained for knocking over a pedestrian whilst driving drunk, you can be assured that the family of 2nd Secretary (JHA) Justin Snodgrass in HM Embassy, Shitstana, will garner unwanted attention of the Interior Ministry Police.

The UK (along with a few other sensible countries) makes it quite clear to its diplomats that 'if you do the crime, you'll do the time', in other words, provided the accused can get a fair hearing, that there's not the death penalty and it is not a politically motivated (or fitted up) charge, you are expected to face the consequences in country. However, this is a voluntary admission by the UK; at any time they could recall the diplomat (if not PNGd by the Receiving State).

Raaaaaaad will still get paid and can now drag on his ambulance chase for years more.

Raaaaaaad
Who?

Family will never be reconciled to the boy's death, that's certain.

I wonder if Sacoolas will learn to live with her own fundamental failure of personal integrity.

It's not as if she was in line for summary execution for a five second failure of concentration (which many who lived in BAOR would own up to).

Gutless, selfish weaselly creature.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Who?

I wonder if Sacoolas will learn to live with her own fundamental failure of personal integrity.

It's not as if she was in line for summary execution for a five second failure of concentration (which many who lived in BAOR would own up to).

The rumour did go around that she was CIA/NSA and had a far higher security clearence than her husband and the US couldn't risk her being locked up in a UK jail. Spirited out of Mildehall.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Who?

Well said Stonker! sometimes I quite like you!

I wouldn’t immediately subscribe to the cover up idea.

I can believe that it is possible to hit someone in the dark and not know it was a person.
A few years back there was a case outside Salisbury where a drunk was hit walking home late at night.
The driver that hit him may have known what happened and run, or may have thought they hit wildlife. But the body was run over by additional cars until one also reversed over him and discovered the body.

Either Ravnsborg genuinely didn’t find a body and reported hitting an animal, or panicked making a partial report and went back.
It’s not a very good cover up if he’s gone back and reported finding the body

But to tie in the match and contrast with Sacoolas - somebody has died in an accident and the driver is facing up to investigation and the potential consequences

Was watching one of the Police Camera Action or Traffic cops,documentaries following traffic cops around the country. One-fatal accident they investigated was on the A10 from Royston to London.

Said accident happened probably when the single carriage merged onto dual think near Hertford / Ware and It was good awful late At Night, visibility down to zilch, fog or rain and not well lit if at all that stretch and wee incline.

Lad on a bike carrying musical instrument on his back is dead from collision. So cops put out story on news for any witnesses ..further down the A“0 on edge of London a young lass, working professional and her family watching tv and to her horror she was driving her mini and thought she hit an animal. so she and her folks ring Hertfordshires finest and she’s read her rights, and arrested for the Night. Cops take away car and she’s breathalysed drug test etc. All came back negative and she says adhering to Limits and thinks she’s hit Animal and you can imagine she’s devastated.

Cameras return to scene of accident where cops , safety cops are trawlign the scene for clues, lads body is covered in sheet. They noticed he Didn’t have lights at all on bike, his musical instrument is heavy as it is.

Then when it’s morning, the funeral directors / coroner removes the remains in their silver shiny Merc van with flashing green lights ...Narrator then says that the autopsy showed the lad was drunk as a skunk . So investigators came to conclusion he got on his bike sans lights , heavy instrument and decided to ride in bad weather careening all over the place in crap conditions and poor lass in mini clipped or Collided with him.

She was exonerated and Cleared of any charges as It was Not her fault....but something to bear for the rest of her life......

cheers

Who?

NEVER happen.

She will go to her grave mentally making excuses for this. She will see herself being chased by Gestapo with Derren Nesbitt accents in her mind.

Meanwhile the UK gov should be asking why so many US pers assigned to the UK have that Immunity status to include their families. If you aren't assigned to the embassy you should not have such status

NEVER happen.

She will go to her grave mentally making excuses for this. She will see herself being chased by Gestapo with Derren Nesbitt accents in her mind.

Meanwhile the UK gov should be asking why so many US pers assigned to the UK have that Immunity status to include their families. If you aren't assigned to the embassy you should not have such status
Have you read the thread/reporting. The staff at Croughton have their dip immunity restricted to offences comitted while on duty (I think that's so they can do their dodgy spying without being arrested). It's an administrative cock-up that that restriction wasn't applied to their dependents.

Are you surprised? Believing the law will give you justice is like believing <Insert Name of Preferred Great Sky Pixie Here> created the world. Eventually, you're going to be very disappointed.

If you've lost someone you love and you want true justice, hire a good hit man, not a lawyer. ;)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The rumour did go around that she was CIA/NSA and had a far higher security clearence than her husband and the US couldn't risk her being locked up in a UK jail. Spirited out of Mildehall.

I always assumed that she jumped into her car and drove an hour to Heathrow and bought a ticket on the first plane back to the USA, she'd have had plenty of choice and would have been back home quickly.
Instead she drove or was driven a lot further across country to Mildenhall and was put on a USAF flight. So firstly she didn't even pay for her flight and secondly there must have been quiet a few USAF/US pers who helped her get on the Mildenhall flight who must have known why she was a priority.

In the mid 1980's I was stupid enough to marry a USAF (female) and she had to go back to the US when one of her many hill billy redneck brothers was dying (he didn't, then) . Even though she had a reason to get back, her seat on a flight out of Mildenhall took a lot of arranging and the system weren't too keen to make it easy to arrange compassionate flights home.
Yeah I know it's been over 30 years and things change.