Harry Dunn killed by US diplomat's wife

This report - which I was about to also link to - argues that Mr Sacoolas should have had what's called 'administrative and technical ' privileges as a diplomat. In practice, this means his diplomatic privilege extends only to his duties and not to his family.

But this depends whether the US State Department presented him to the FCO for an A&T accreditation. I have sneaking suspicion that the US doesn't do that.
Admin & tech [ETA: & their families] have immunity to criminal jurisdiction all the time. It is only civil & administrative justice that has the "course of their duties" limitation

ITV news have seen some of the documents which strongly implies they are admin & tech staff
" It says the government is “only willing to accept ...persons as members of the A&T (Administrative and Technical) staff of the US embassy in London with the privileges and immunity ... on the understanding that the US Government ... waives the immunity from criminal jurisdiction of these employees in respect of acts performed outside the course of their duties." (and there you see the start of the "employees only" loop-hole/cock-up)

Meanwhile in the USA local police and sheriffs ignore international treaties and refuse to contact the arrested foreign national's embassy or consulate. I remember a program about it, some Mexicans walked from jail because of mistrials as they had no consular support.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Meanwhile in the USA local police and sheriffs ignore international treaties and refuse to contact the arrested foreign national's embassy or consulate. I remember a program about it, some Mexicans walked from jail because of mistrials as they had no consular support.

One of the scary statistics that has arisen during the who BLM farrago was the sheer incompetency of some of the US police forces ('Law Enforcement Agencies - LEA). There are some 15,000 separate LEAs across the US, under varying degrees of governance (from 'almost none' to 'heavily regulated and under close scrutiny'). Think of the difficulties that we have in the UK with 43 separate police forces. @Steamboat may wish to comment.

Whereas we would expect the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police Service to understand what diplomatic privilege means - as well as areas where there is a significant US presence - eg Northhants; Suffolk, what chance has Sheriff 'Boss' Hogg from Hicksville, Tx likely to have any knowledge of anything outside his narrow bailiwick?

One of the scary statistics that has arisen during the who BLM farrago was the sheer incompetency of some of the US police forces ('Law Enforcement Agencies - LEA). There are some 15,000 separate LEAs across the US, under varying degrees of governance (from 'almost none' to 'heavily regulated and under close scrutiny'). Think of the difficulties that we have in the UK with 43 separate police forces. @Steamboat may wish to comment.

Whereas we would expect the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police Service to understand what diplomatic privilege means - as well as areas where there is a significant US presence - eg Northhants; Suffolk, what chance has Sheriff 'Boss' Hogg from Hicksville, Tx likely to have any knowledge of anything outside his narrow bailiwick?
In theory they should, granted many won’t get much in the way of classroom time on it. More important things to use training time on. But every agency will differ and some places are more touristy than others.

But tourists who screw up are a pita to be quite frank. The biggest recommendation I can make to a judge is to give them the maximum fine allowed by State Statue. Send the arrest report to the DMV ( as it is usually a DUI) so a file can be created, and driving privileges can be suspended nation wide. When they don’t appear for their their trial, a failure to appear warrant is issued with their name on it. Which won’t do much, but should in theory bar that person from coming back to the country. It ain’t perfect but we have ways to handle rowdy guests.

Last edited:
In theory they should, granted many won’t get much in the way of classroom time on it. More important things to use training time on. But every agency will differ and some places are more touristy than others.

But tourists who screw up are a pita to be quite frank. The biggest recommendation I can make to a judge is to give them the maximum fine allowed by State Statue. Send the arrest report to the DMV ( as it is usually a DUI) so a file can be created, and driving privileges can be suspended nation wide. When they they don’t appear for their their trial, a failure to appear warrant is issued with their name on it. Which won’t do much, but should in theory bar that person from coming back to the country. It ain’t perfect but we have ways to handle rowdy guests.
As Tommy Robinson (AKA Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon) found out when he tried to re-enter the US.

As Tommy Robinson (AKA Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon) found out when he tried to re-enter the US.
Yes, and I imagine labeling Antifa a $hitbag organization will result in a few exchange students having their Visa’s yanked.

But honestly don’t ever get busted on a weekend here. Your Embassy or consulate call won’t take place till Monday at the earliest, as it won’t be a high priority for the office weenies. If you are a Mexican or Latin American, ICE will be the go to folks out here . Horrible to tell the truth, but being from Europe/ Commonwealth countries does offer some unconscious advantages.

endure

GCM

We've regularly had claims on here from Yanks that their cops only enforce the laws they agree with so that's no big surprise.