Harry and William's wedding coats.

I understand that the coats worn by the Groom and Best Man are known as Dress Coats, can anyone tell me the significance or use for the braids on the front of the coat ??

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I understand that the coats worn by the Groom and Best Man are known as Dress Coats, can anyone tell me the significance or use for the braids on the front of the coat ??

Of course, it's to display wealth and general snazziness.

I trust you were suitably impressed, otherwise you wouldn't have opted to mention it.

One of my exes dad was a lft colonel in the guards and watching the trooping of the colour with him on telly he estimated the cost of the rain had cost the regiment at least twenty grand.

Last edited:
I watched Trooping the Colour from Kosovo one year with a Guards major. He'd done couple as a lad. The weather was vile - it was pisssing down and one corner of the parade ground was bout 6 inches deep as the lads stomped through. He started laughing and explained the same had happened on one of his TTCs - ankle deep water, ammo boots and a mile back to barracks are not, apparently, an ideal combo!

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Another Harry thread.

I can hear Jarrod's teeth grinding from here.

And he lives in the north with the poor people.

Frock coat. Seldom worn, apart from by the Orderly Officer to carry out the 4 O’clock inspection of short guards at Horse Guards. A short guard is when the Queen is not in residence at Buckingham Palace. It is commanded by a CoH, so no officer, WO or trumpeter. The orderly officer rides to Horse Guards to inspect a short guard at 4pm wearing a frock coat. A strange choice of uniform to get married in.

I understand that the coats worn by the Groom and Best Man are known as Dress Coats
See Post #10. Frock Coat. An order of dress these days confined to Offrs and WOs of the Household Div and Directors of Music and Bandmasters otherwise.

See Post #10. Frock Coat. An order of dress these days confined to Offrs and WOs of the Household Div and Directors of Music and Bandmasters otherwise.
I just think that as Harry is now the Captain General of the Royal Marines, he just wanted to pay their respects by wearing something with the word frock in it.

I avoided the lot of the wedding shite by watching the paint dry on my shed.

The alternative was to scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
I was at the inlaws and my FIL decided to record the whole sodding thing, he kept flicking back and forth between that and whatever other shite he was watching and deciding that someone was 'obviously an american' becuase of his trousers.
I didn't know @jarrod248 had even met my FIL let alone 'turned him' to the rainbow side.
Mind you the FIL spent 5 mintues explaining why he wasn't a racist 'but all them blacks sound the same to me and I can't understand what they are saying'.

I was at the inlaws and my FIL decided to record the whole sodding thing, he kept flicking back and forth between that and whatever other shite he was watching and deciding that someone was 'obviously an american' becuase of his trousers.
I didn't know @jarrod248 had even met my FIL let alone 'turned him' to the rainbow side.
Mind you the FIL spent 5 mintues explaining why he wasn't a racist 'but all them blacks sound the same to me and I can't understand what they are saying'.
My nan would be horrified at the thought of being even slightly offensive to anyone, so she refers to anyone of colour as "Darkies".

The racist pig.

Frock coat. Seldom worn, apart from by the Orderly Officer to carry out the 4 O’clock inspection of short guards at Horse Guards. A short guard is when the Queen is not in residence at Buckingham Palace. It is commanded by a CoH, so no officer, WO or trumpeter. The orderly officer rides to Horse Guards to inspect a short guard at 4pm wearing a frock coat. A strange choice of uniform to get married in.
4pm ! Its 1600 hrs ffs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
s_n_l_r Medals 26
Ninja_Turtle Medals 24
Deserter The NAAFI Bar 851