Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No worries, most of my tribe were A&SH. My uncle was a WO close to Mad Mitch in the final days of Aden (he managed to get himself aerated a few times in the process leading to loss of leg in later years) but always seemed to think it was all a bit of a hoot.
he was a big man, and didn't give a hoot about owt other than his mates from the Argyll 's.

31 August 1997 was a fücking Godsend then, wasn't it.
Just before we move on back to the main topic(s) I was compelled to leave this here.

It was Private Eye that kept me sane during that wretched outpouring of artificial grief. If you can get a copy of PE issue 932 or (in my opinion) 933 which was even better you may laugh like a drain.

I don't think our country has ever fully got back to normal sanity since that effing episode.

Just before we move on back to the main topic(s) I was compelled to leave this here.

It was Private Eye that kept me sane during that wretched outpouring of artificial grief. If you can get a copy of PE issue 932 or (in my opinion) 933 which was even better you may laugh like a drain.

I don't think our country has ever fully got back to normal sanity since that effing episode.
A day earlier, a Fabio Piras, a 20-year-old Sardinian, was fined £100 for stealing a bear and he was punched in the face by a demonstrator outside the court who told him Diana was “queen of all our hearts”.

Actually a bloke who was at court cos his daughter was appearing there on a shoplifting charge!!!

'Lower deck breast beating', as GMF put it:
the depth was plumbed at the time of Princess Diana’s death, when part of the nation went collectively mad, and sections of the press behaved disgracefully. I’m sure I am in a minority here, but I was appalled at the near-hysterical reaction of the crowds who strewed their floral tributes and metaphorically speaking beat their breasts in a display of lower-deck emotion which was as distasteful as it was exaggerated.
I wondered at the time, what had happened to the moral fibre of the island race—the stiff upper lip, if you like—to make them behave like professional mourners howling for hire. The Prime Minister was proud. I was ashamed

Last edited:
Personally, I didn't really give a f*CK about her when she was alive and couldn't care less when she died.

I'm sure, like any bereavement, if you were close then it was quite upsetting.

But I didn't know her and never really understood the hype surrounding her escapades. Although you do have to balance that with my general apathy towards 'celebrities' in general. I think that they don't understand that they're here to amuse me through their craft or medium. If they wish to pontificate upon serious matters, they should gravitate towards a profession or calling that does that sort of thing.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
You'd think so, wouldn't you?
View attachment 524566
When we lived in Aden in the 1960s one of the Arab beggar children had bright ginger hair. Every time we saw him, father used to mutter something about 'matelots getting everywhere'.

I'd been on the rum and it was very liquid. Watching hundreds of small brown orbs of shit rising to the surface like bubbles-and the shoals of fish that swarmed to feast upon my brown delight was a true sight to behold!

I'm disappointed. I was expecting a high pressure hose providing jet propulsion incident.

Point of order: you cannot polish a turd. You can however roll it in glitter.
You can

2E2F7494-074C-444D-B220-19BF70E11DF1.jpeg

A day earlier, a Fabio Piras, a 20-year-old Sardinian, was fined £100 for stealing a bear and he was punched in the face by a demonstrator outside the court who told him Diana was “queen of all our hearts”.

Actually a bloke who was at court cos his daughter was appearing there on a shoplifting charge!!!

'Lower deck breast beating', as GMF put it:
the depth was plumbed at the time of Princess Diana’s death, when part of the nation went collectively mad, and sections of the press behaved disgracefully. I’m sure I am in a minority here, but I was appalled at the near-hysterical reaction of the crowds who strewed their floral tributes and metaphorically speaking beat their breasts in a display of lower-deck emotion which was as distasteful as it was exaggerated.
I wondered at the time, what had happened to the moral fibre of the island race—the stiff upper lip, if you like—to make them behave like professional mourners howling for hire. The Prime Minister was proud. I was ashamed
From stiff upper-lipped restraint and reserve to national emotional incontinence in one (plastic) princess's lifetime.

The ONLY gingers in the RF are Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie.

Now with Bea and Eug this comes from Sarah Fergusson who married in.

With Harry it comes from James Hewitt who got his nuts in.

Chef

LE
The ONLY gingers in the RF are Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie.

Now with Bea and Eug this comes from Sarah Fergusson who married in.

With Harry it comes from James Hewitt who got his nuts in.
This was suggested way back in this thread and someone reckoned that there was some ginger in the family and that young Harold has a strongish resemblance to the males of the RF.

It might have been @Grownup_Rafbrat but I could be wrong.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
This was suggested way back in this thread and someone reckoned that there was some ginger in the family and that young Harold has a strongish resemblance to the males of the RF.

It might have been @Grownup_Rafbrat but I could be wrong.
It was I. The ginger came from the Althorp side of the family. Diana herself was a 'strawberry blonde' until she found the dye bottle, and the present Earl Spencer was quite a Redhead when young.

Latest Threads