Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh great another avalanche of clickbait royal sproglet stories to mask anything that vaguely resembles real news.

It's a Remainer ploy, obvs.
It’s already started mate. The news is full of sycophantic ‘Royal correspondents’, creaming themselves and delighting in the fact they will be fully deployed to spray their bullshit in the months ahead.
I class myself as a lukewarm Royalist (full respect for the Headshed, PTG and Princess Anne), but the rest of them I am pretty ambivalent about.
The sycophancy plays right into the hands of the Republicans - she’s having a baby ffs, get a grip!

It’s already started mate. The news is full of sycophantic ‘Royal correspondents’, creaming themselves and delighting in the fact they will be fully deployed to spray their bullshit in the months ahead.
I class myself as a lukewarm Royalist (full respect for the Headshed, PTG and Princess Anne), but the rest of them I am pretty ambivalent about.
The sycophancy plays right into the hands of the Republicans - she’s having a baby ffs, get a grip!
So I see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-45861719

Well... thats the new another Royal Mouth is due in the Spring of 2019. No doubt the screeching Republicans will be up in arms about another addition to Mrs Windsor's family circle....... and the tax payers will have to provide their Benefits...
The abolition of the Civil List was announced in the spending review statement to the House of Commons on 20 October 2010 by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne. In its place, he said, "the Royal Household will receive a new Sovereign Support Grant linked to a portion of the revenue of the Crown Estate". The Crown Estate is a statutory corporation, run on commercial lines by the Crown Estate Commissioners and generates revenue for HM Treasury every year (an income surplus of £210.7 million for the year ended 31 March 2010).[9] This income is received by the Crown and given to the state as a result of the agreement reached in 1760 that has been renewed at the beginning of each subsequent reign. The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 received Royal Assent on 18 October 2011. Under this Act, the Sovereign Grant now funds all of the official expenditure of the monarchy, not just the expenditure previously borne by the Civil List.
The amount the average British taxpayer pays to support the royal family is 65 pence per year.

That must really hurt your wallet.
British royals by the numbers: what they cost (and bring in)

The sycophancy plays right into the hands of the Republicans
It actually encourages republicanism. It is further reinforced when very minor 'royals', who are way down the batting order, end up costing the taxpayer £2.5m in security costs for something that was ultimately a celeb fest.
At the moment they are safe, but they really should be looking over their shoulders. Once the Queen goes, I believe that they may well be living on borrowed time.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
The baby's grandfather must be looking forward to his trip to the UK to view the small person when it arrives. I am, as I think the press would have a field day with that visit.

Once the Queen goes, I believe that they may well be living on borrowed time.
I personally hope not, but believe you could be right. Particularly if JC and his chums get the keys to No 10!

I personally hope not, but believe you could be right. Particularly if JC and his chums get the keys to No 10!
Personally, I don't think that would have to be a necessary ingredient. All that is required for its continuity is for it to scale itself down and to do away with the kind of pomp and privileges that do not sit well in the 21st c.
Other European monarchies have managed it.

I suspect that there would be a great deal of kicking and screaming in this country before that would ever happen. Not so much from the royals themselves (well, perhaps one or two!) but more from the large retinue of hangers-on who rely upon such pompery for their own existence.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
So, just announced - another Royal sprog on the way. Well done Harry and Meghan, you have just made Bugsy’s day! :-D
I did wonder why they married.

What is conveniently forgotten by the Royallist is all the extra expenses of this large family , just for starters the royal protection sqd , plus all the extra secuithy costs involved where ever they go , A full and transparent audit of just how much the extended family cost the hard working tax payer would I think , lower the support for them considerably

What is conveniently forgotten by the Royallist is all the extra expenses of this large family , just for starters the royal protection sqd , plus all the extra secuithy costs involved where ever they go , A full and transparent audit of just how much the extended family cost the hard working tax payer would I think , lower the support for them considerably
Not forgotten at all. I’m well aware of how much money RP officers make, just as I’m well aware of the millions of non-Royal parasites on benefits who have PS4s, iPads and 60’ TVs when I go into their houses to arrest them yet again.
At least the Royals make a lot of people happy and aren’t stabbing each other up while off their tits on booze and drugs. They’d be well down the list of things I’d sack off if I was looking to save money in government.

It actually encourages republicanism. It is further reinforced when very minor 'royals', who are way down the batting order, end up costing the taxpayer £2.5m in security costs for something that was ultimately a celeb fest.
The cost was probably down to the presence of the Grandmother and others. Besides taxpayers pay for policing at football matches, festivals, rally's, film premiers, concerts, everything. Then there's whether it brings in money through tourism.

Reality Check: What extra policing do we pay for?

Jill, the first caller, said that public money should be paying for policing at the wedding because we also pay for police at events such as football matches, film stars' weddings and film premieres. So, is Jill right?

The policing of football matches is almost entirely publicly funded.

The most expensive club to police last season was Tottenham Hotspur, which was playing at Wembley while its new stadium was being built. That cost £1.2m, with only £62,000 being recovered from the club.

The Reality Check team has been unable to find evidence of a film star's wedding in the UK requiring extra policing, but a freedom of information request lodged by the Mirror found that 35 officers had been employed at the 2011 wedding of the model Kate Moss.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
s_n_l_r Medals 26
Ninja_Turtle Medals 24
E Military Clothing & Boots 50