Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think its rather telling on our society as a whole that these sort of stories / disclosures are considered newsworthy, and that its deemed acceptable and-PR companies, with consent of their clients reveal them.
Looking on the DM page now there's at least another 2 miscarriage stories and a prostrate cancer struggle one.

Lets not fool ourselves-this is not about "getting out the message" about these issues-its purely targeted publicity to increase people's media profiles. Housewives up and down the land will be wiping away a tear-and feeling good about themselves for having had to do so-because they then feel validated as "a nice person".
It's not 'nice'...it is actually, at its very base-pure and simple selfishness. By those who dispense it and-those who lap it up and thus create the whole market for this sort of thing.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think its rather telling on our society as a whole that these sort of stories / disclosures are considered newsworthy, and that its deemed acceptable and-PR companies, with consent of their clients reveal them.
Looking on the DM page now there's at least another 2 miscarriage stories and a prostrate cancer struggle one.

Lets not fool ourselves-this is not about "getting out the message" about these issues-its purely targeted publicity to increase people's media profiles. Housewives up and down the land will be wiping away a tear-and feeling good about themselves for having had to do so-because they then feel validated as "a nice person".
It's not 'nice'...it is actually, at its very base-pure and simple selfishness. By those who dispense it and-those who lap it up and thus create the whole market for this sort of thing.
Exactly my point earlier about me not writing an article about my own experience. It's easily done. Morally, though, it's questionable in my view.

Exactly my point earlier about me not writing an article about my own experience. It's easily done. Morally, though, it's questionable in my view.
There;'s a whole genre of novel / film deemed 'tearjerker' or somesuch. I think this sort of thing, and the psychology behind them are the same. Not too far removed from an (hypothetical) industry that goes around harvesting images of people stamping on puppies, then publishing the pictures so people can have a good cry over them.

There is a considerable proportion of our society (IMO) who are kidding themselves, and those around them, that they are loving and caring people. In many cases they could be said to be nothing more than voyeurs who like to bask in the warm waters of mawkish malingering.

Awol

LE
I don’t personally believe the miscarriage is false News, but the way such a Private, personal matter is being used 4 or 5 months after the event is the bit that sticks in my craw.
There is talk of at least 12 PR staff on their books, but I reckon that’s just the tip of the iceberg, when you start to take into account Security, Childcare, Catering etc.
I have this vision of a room full of sycophants, pen and paper poised (North Korean style), hanging on every word and addressing them both as “Your Highness”. What a shame no one on the payroll is able to tell them when to shut up and desist from pissing off the majority of us.
With so many staff, and I suspect a high turnover of said staff, it won’t be long before one of them spills the beans if the miscarriage is false.

I’m sure they’ve all been silenced with non-disclosure agreements, but the story will be so big, and the cash reward so generous that they will soon be forgotten.

With so many staff, and I suspect a high turnover of said staff, it won’t be long before one of them spills the beans if the miscarriage is false.

I’m sure they’ve all been silenced with non-disclosure agreements, but the story will be so big, and the cash reward so generous that they will soon be forgotten.
As others have said, I believe the miscarriage story. What I find odious is the way it's being used.

By those who dispense it and-those who lap it up and thus create the whole market for this sort of thing.
I blame Blair and his ridiculous “People’s Princess” statement, probably dreamed up by the least likeable person around at the time, Alistair Campbell. The Country has been goosed ever since.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There;'s a whole genre of novel / film deemed 'tearjerker' or somesuch. I think this sort of thing, and the psychology behind them are the same. Not too far removed from an (hypothetical) industry that goes around harvesting images of people stamping on puppies, then publishing the pictures so people can have a good cry over them.

There is a considerable proportion of our society (IMO) who are kidding themselves, and those around them, that they are loving and caring people. In many cases they could be said to be nothing more than voyeurs who like to bask in the warm waters of mawkish malingering.
The sorts of people who slow down and gawp at car crashes, just so they can talk about them later...

Have cartoons been banned yet?
1606418742131.png

1606418837571.png

1606418936504.png

1606418694841.png

I blame Blair and his ridiculous “People’s Princess” statement, probably dreamed up by the least likeable person around at the time, Alistair Campbell. The Country has been goosed ever since.
I think that's very true. A whole generation - even demograph of people have been brought up to thinking "this is the right way to be thinking and- the right way to be seen to think".

Some years ago, when I lived in Plymouth, I was in a queue at a Co-op or wherever, behind 2 "women". I caught onto the conversation they were having: "Oh she's such a strong woman...I cried when I heard, I phoned so and so and she was the same-it's terrible-I really cant believe it". I thought 'poor buggers have a friend / family just been given some really bad news'. I was wrong- 2 things then dawned on me- 1- they were talking about some celebrity-I think it was maybe Jade Goody or someone and two-the conversation they had was as much for our (the other people in the queues) benefit as it was for them, bouncing off each other, each replying slightly more emotional than the other had.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
A lot of woke supposedly originating from her and him being too dim / pussy whipped to push back?

I’m not so sure and credit him with a bit more cunning. His mother invented woke before it was even woke, hugging drug addicts etc, and come the denoument, which way did a significant proportion of the public jump?
I disagree, people were doing good works for years before Diana. What she did was make sure that the press were nearby whenever she did something like hugging an AIDS sufferer or junkie. Remember when she 'saved' a drowning tramp late one night and it was in the next print run in time for the earlies?

Meghan has tried to do the same thing but is to subtlety what the Beckhams are to good taste. She has no sense of shame or timing. She managed to squander an entire nation's affection in a vain attempt to upstage the Windsors. Then cry it was everyone else's fault because she's a POC.

I disagree, people were doing good works for years before Diana. What she did was make sure that the press were nearby whenever she did something like hugging an AIDS sufferer or junkie. Remember when she 'saved' a drowning tramp late one night and it was in the next print run in time for the earlies?

Meghan has tried to do the same thing but is to subtlety what the Beckhams are to good taste. She has no sense of shame or timing. She managed to squander an entire nation's affection in a vain attempt to upstage the Windsors. Then cry it was everyone else's fault because she's a POS.
FoC

Jammy66

War Hero
About 20 years ago my wife nearly had a miscarriage. I don’t remember the medical term, but we were trying for a baby, the egg was fertilised and the body’s pregnancy response kicked in. The egg apparently died within minutes, but the body wasn’t told and continued to think it was pregnant. We told immediate family that we were going to have a baby and everything was fine and my wife started to gain weight until the three month scan. The nurse said (very coldly I thought) “no, nothing there” and we were devastated, absolutely in bits for weeks. Again we only told immediate family (parents and siblings) and eventually life went on and we got over it. The only consolation was that there wasn’t actually a dead baby involved, but that didn’t minimise the pain we felt.

The thought of monetising that grief is disgusting. The thought that Markle has actually invented the whole thing, which is a distinct possibility, is beyond disgusting.
My parents had a child before me (I was one of 5) and unfortunately the baby was still born. He was buried in the hospital graveyard for such cases, unmarked, and my Mum always spoke about him. I have thought about that sibling more recently now that my parents have gone along with one of my brothers.

I never really thought about it when my Mum used to tell me when I was younger, you don't appreciate the pain she and my Dad must have felt at the time, and after. I came along a little while after and was apparently 'an accident' - nice! They said I was given to them to replace my still born brother.

Most families deal with this stuff and move on. We don't need syrupy press releases and TV interviews. They actually make me feel quite sick, turning this kind of stuff to their advantage (or trying to). Just F O.

pc flaps

War Hero
That hysterical week was arguably a turning point for this country, and not a positive one either imo.

My parents always wanted kids, then they had me and realised they were wrong...

Latest Threads