Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About 20 years ago my wife nearly had a miscarriage. I don’t remember the medical term, but we were trying for a baby, the egg was fertilised and the body’s pregnancy response kicked in. The egg apparently died within minutes, but the body wasn’t told and continued to think it was pregnant. We told immediate family that we were going to have a baby and everything was fine and my wife started to gain weight until the three month scan. The nurse said (very coldly I thought) “no, nothing there” and we were devastated, absolutely in bits for weeks. Again we only told immediate family (parents and siblings) and eventually life went on and we got over it. The only consolation was that there wasn’t actually a dead baby involved, but that didn’t minimise the pain we felt.

The thought of monetising that grief is disgusting. The thought that Markle has actually invented the whole thing, which is a distinct possibility, is beyond disgusting.

Thoughts with you and your wife.

Awol

LE
Thoughts with you and your wife.
Thanks mate. She’s now my ex-wife, and it was a long time ago. We had our son about a year later and I sometimes think that if that egg had survived he wouldn’t exist.

It’s difficult to process the fact that the happiness he has brought us is the result of a tragedy.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks mate. She’s now my ex-wife, and it was a long time ago. We had our son about a year later and I sometimes think that if that egg had survived he wouldn’t exist.

It’s difficult to process the fact that the happiness he has brought us is the result of a tragedy.
Life is strange. We had Emma before we we married and we were late teens. Helen (my ex now but still close friends) and I were so young we were pretty lost with it all. Emma was going to be christened on RFA Fort Austin in Plymouth Sound. I had a reccurring dream that when future father in law was transferring from the cutter to the gangway a wave moved the cutter and he was knocked in the water, dropping the baby. In the dream I jumped in and swam for her. Each time I woke because in the dream I thought if I don't swim too hard I wont reach her and Helen and I could start afresh. Fortunately Fort Austin received a change of sailing orders and the christening never happened. Very few know about my dream and I wouldn't be without Emma now ( a bright happy 30 something AND NO, NO PICTURES!). Life is strange, but we get on with it. We don't make a crisis into an opportunity to pay off the mortgage.

Let's recall what we thought of Meghan based on her behaviour before today (i.e. the raison d'etre of this thread).

Deeply manipulative, a PR whore (with 12 PR staff) and a Dianna wannabe.

Always desperate to one up the Cambridges.

The only difference today is it's working.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Let's recall what we thought of Meghan based on her behaviour before today (i.e. the raison d'etre of this thread).

I'm not sure it is, at least not in the UK. In my experience, women are very unforgiving of other women who exploit an issue like this, and far more so than men.

I'm not sure it is, at least not in the UK. In my experience, women are very unforgiving of other women who exploit an issue like this, and far more so than men.
My beloved OIC Domestic is absolutely scathing of the woman for exploiting this in the way she has done.

It's interesting how radio broadcasters are responding to the news. At first they were attacking and ridiculing her, and now...

For what it's worth, I still think she is a media whore.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
We don't make a crisis into an opportunity to pay off the mortgage.
1. Because that's only a route open to the famous.
2. Because, although you and I have only met once, I'm pretty sure you have integrity.
3. This isn't - in this case - directly about the money; it's about visibility.
4. Or sympathy - wasn't there a nine-month hiatus declared in legal proceedings recently?
5. Did we check whether any 'sworn enemies' had something going on on the same day? H&M's 'abdication' was announced on Kate Middleton's birthday.

...this pair. What a pair. What a grasping, unscrupulous pair. The sad part is that we live in a world where some people will just lap it up. They simply do not deserve the indulgence.

Last edited:
To those of you saying your wives/daughters/etc have had miscarriages and it's not to be discussed, are you really sure that's their wish? Brushing it under the carpet and carrying on, as if it were nothing more than stubbing a toe isn't helpful. Regardless of what stage the pregnancy was in, that woman has lost a child. If it were a child that had lived, been held in your arms or seen grown up and then died, would you never mention them again?

The comments (said by nurses and doctors, not just on here) that it's very common I know is somehow meant to be reassuring, to imply that it wasn't necessarily the fault of the mother, but again, if a child had been run over, would you turn to the parents and say "oh hundreds of children get run over every day, don't worry about it"?

I'm not defending Megan in the way she's publicised this, or even going to speculate whether its true or not, but I am shocked at the way some of you have said it shouldn't be talked about, and that is one part of her statement that I do agree with.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's interesting how radio broadcasters are responding to the news. At first they were attacking and ridiculing her, and now...
Like this bollocks from the DT, you mean? Well, yeah, it generates many column inches of pontification. Three for the price of one, right there.
Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 09.21.55.png

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
To those of you saying your wives/daughters/etc have had miscarriages and it's not to be discussed, are you really sure that's their wish? Brushing it under the carpet and carrying on, as if it were nothing more than stubbing a toe isn't helpful. Regardless of what stage the pregnancy was in, that woman has lost a child. If it were a child that had lived, been held in your arms or seen grown up and then died, would you never mention them again?

The comments (said by nurses and doctors, not just on here) that it's very common I know is somehow meant to be reassuring, to imply that it wasn't necessarily the fault of the mother, but again, if a child had been run over, would you turn to the parents and say "oh hundreds of children get run over every day, don't worry about it"?

I'm not defending Megan in the way she's publicised this, or even going to speculate whether its true or not, but I am shocked at the way some of you have said it shouldn't be talked about, and that is one part of her statement that I do agree with.
Someone close to me miscarried a few years back - and then overdosed, not because of the miscarriage but because of familial pressure to try again for another baby (narcissistic mother determined to be a grandmother, and sod the fact that her daughter was traumatised). Getting someone through that was awful, and the actions of some unforgivable.

Like you, I've no idea whether this is made up or not. My own humanity hopes not. My problem and my sadness is that Meghan is such a media whore that I no longer put anything beyond her in terms of the lengths she'll go to.

Hence, I guess, my Katie Price comment up-thread. Two from the same pod, as far as I'm concerned.

Someone close to me miscarried a few years back - and then overdosed, not because of the miscarriage but because of familial pressure to try again for another baby (narcissistic mother determined to be a grandmother, and sod the fact that her daughter was traumatised). Getting someone through that was awful, and the actions of some unforgivable.

Like you, I've no idea whether this is made up or not. My own humanity hopes not. My problem and my sadness is that Meghan is such a media whore that I no longer put anything beyond her in terms of the lengths she'll go to.

Hence, I guess, my Katie Price comment up-thread. Two from the same pod, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment from Wifey and her females mates on hearing the news - "oh for "f's" sake, what a cow" And this from a group of ladies across the country who have suffered cancer, loss of loved ones, lose of work, etc etc and miscarriage (the normal life things). They would have sympathy for a miscarriage, everyone does, but the "I want privacy and I just want this broadcast! killed any sympathy.

When our friends have have life events it's communicated by the "Just to let you know I have ..." or "I think you should know X has ....."

MM is playing Diana's game - I don't want publicity, oh but I'm slipping out of the lime light; quick PR team, what can we let slip to the press...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Comment from Wifey and her females mates on hearing the news - "oh for "f's" sake, what a cow" And this from a group of ladies across the country who have suffered cancer, loss of loved ones, lose of work, etc etc and miscarriage (the normal life things). They would have sympathy for a miscarriage, everyone does, but the "I want privacy and I just want this broadcast! killed any sympathy.

When our friends have have life events it's communicated by the "Just to let you know I have ..." or "I think you should know X has ....."

MM is playing Diana's game - I don't want publicity, oh but I'm slipping out of the lime light; quick PR team, what can we let slip to the press...
And that's it - I'm sure there's a circle of friends who can help with the grieving process. Or some well-paid counsellors.

But no. "Look at meeeee."

That, or the narcissism/self-importance to believe that her pontifications on this (The Dchess of Sussex has said...") are really society-changing.

Meh.

Tool

LE

Wife 1 had a miscarriage early in our marriage. At the time, we discussed this with her best friend, a doctor, my best friend's wife, a radiographer, and another good friend's wife, a palliative care nurse. Wife was of the opinion that that she was at fault in spite of these three people (close to us) saying things like "75% of all first pregnancies miscarry" - medical fact. We told my parents and hers, and our siblings. It was never spoken about again, partially because we wanted to move on and she thought that discussing what may have been was counter-productive.

Removing my cynical hat for a moment, Meghan may have tried to make a statement to start discussion around miscarriage, but has done it in a very kak-handed way. What MAY have started as an intention to break taboos has misfired badly in my opinion.

Miscarriage is very common and very much apart of the natural pregnancy process, but for obvious reasons, it's a subject that's generally avoided by those hoping to conceive.

I think it's more about the person in question that's being discussed, and how past performance has led to the creation of great cynicism of her motives and actions.

Nobody is saying miscarriage shouldn't be discussed. From my experience, most 'normal' people just don't want to discuss it. Certainly not outside the company of others who have experienced the same.

My ex miscarried twice. The second time I cleared up the mess on the toilet floor. I say 'mess', the mess had actually taken a form. Outside the protection of an anonymous forum, I would never want to talk about that.

Markle, through her team of PR people, has turned the process into a storyline from a cheap Channel 5 afternoon movie.

If she's that bothered into helping others with the news, then she could always anonymously volunteer for a local help group. In fact, maybe she has. But then again, I would suspect not.

Latest Threads