Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They've decided to live independently, well let them get on with it, with not a penny of taxpayers money.
What if no civilized country wishers to take on the cost and responsibility?

Awol

LE
Got to say people, that personally, they've shit't'bed big style with me. They've decided that they will renounce the extraordinary advantage that by accident of birth Harry had, and chose to share with his wife. They've effectively told us all to fook'orf.

Well, they're grown ups and they know what they're up to. They can't bin the title and privilage but still expect any taxpayer from any country, to give a fook about their prot or even if they've got food on the table of their used trailer.

They've decided to live independently, well let them get on with it, with not a penny of taxpayers money.
Without the royal link, they have absolutely the square root of diddly squat to offer for commercial gain. Sadly, even after having their titles forfeited, I still see them dragging their sorry arrses from one second rate US chat show to another, being introduced as "the former Prince and Princess Harry" (yes, I know that's not her correct title, but that won't stop them).

Once on the show, just about the only subject on the table is going to be how they were persecuted and abandoned the HM, a subject they will happily nurture as not only is continued controversy their only meal ticket now they have burnt their bridges with the Palace, but it also gives them an opportunity to get even with the Royal Family for any perceived slight they think they have received.

It's all very tawdry.

Last edited:
Friends have just come back from south africa. The Pound to rand rate is awfully good,

and the private alarm people are so efficient (lots of guns)

edit;
And that bleck thing.

Last edited:
I believe that the annual figure is £6 million. 20 is worse case if they go gallivanting round the world telling folk to stop producing carbon (for example) in a plane...

There was an interview today with a private bodyguard. She said she wouldn't touch the Harry/Meghan contract and that it must stay with the Met.

I wouldn't bother engaging with @stacker1. He's a passed over RLC SSgt and is now entrenched in his position. He lacks the mental agility to comprehend the discussion.
There was an interview on LBC with someone currently in the private security business, but apparently had a previous career with either the Met Police or the RMP. You can find it on Youtube, which is where I heard it.

As you said, the upper figures are assuming the Met Police provide all the security, including for perimeter security at major events. If the Met Police just provide a few close in bodyguards and someone else pays for the event related outer security, then costs are much lower.

Also, costs are related to how much dining out at expensive restaurants and travelling and staying in expensive hotels they do, as the bodyguards have to stay with them and eat with them for obvious reasons. These costs can amount to far more than the salaries of the bodyguards.

If on the other hand they spend most of their time at home, then costs are much lower.

The range of costs will likely be part of the conversation with the couple, and as I said previously provide the Palace with a handle on them to limit what they can do when abroad.

Without the royal link, they have absolutely the square root of diddly squat to offer for commercial gain. Sadly, even after having their titles forfeited, I still see them dragging their sorry arrses from one second rate US chat show to another, being introduced as "the former Prince and Princess Harry" (yes, I know that's not her correct title, but that won't stop them).

Once on the show, just about the only subject on the table is going to be how they were persecuted and abandoned the HM, a subject they will happily nurture as not only is continued controversy their only meal ticket they now they have burnt their bridges with the Palace, but also it gives them an opportunity to get even with the Royal Family for any perceived slight they think they have received.

It's all very tawdry.
Take your point, but not quite correct.

The ginger one has many years of high level contacts built up plus some of his mum's old mates who will give him a lead in to many business deals of varying probity.

After all the almost talentless Sarah Ferguson hasn't withered away.

Then tough!
Edited to add: Where did they come up with this 'internationally protected persons' bollõcks?
"Internationally Protected Persons" is a term used in Canada to refer to diplomats and other government officials from abroad, and can include royalty. I don't know if other countries use the same term. Under international convention the host country is responsible for protecting such persons, in cooperation with the originating country.

So far the RCMP have been providing such assistance as the Met Police have requested, but the Met Police are the ones in charge. When the UK decide that Harry and Meghan are no longer operating as official representatives of the Royal Family, then they no longer fall under the category of "Internationally Protected Persons" and if the RCMP are to continue to provide assistance with their protection it will need to be for some other reason.

I have got the distinct impression that the RCMP went ahead with providing protection for them as part of standard operating procedure without consulting the government in Ottawa on it, as the minister in charge didn't originally seem aware of it. However, they will need some sort of authorisation to continue providing protection, but the government have been so consumed with other issues at this moment that nobody is going to stop and think about it unless there is a formal request coming from London.

"Internationally Protected Persons" is a term used in Canada to refer to diplomats and other government officials from abroad, and can include royalty. I don't know if other countries use the same term. Under international convention the host country is responsible for protecting such persons, in cooperation with the originating country.

So far the RCMP have been providing such assistance as the Met Police have requested, but the Met Police are the ones in charge. When the UK decide that Harry and Meghan are no longer operating as official representatives of the Royal Family, then they no longer fall under the category of "Internationally Protected Persons" and if the RCMP are to continue to provide assistance with their protection it will need to be for some other reason.

I have got the distinct impression that the RCMP went ahead with providing protection for them as part of standard operating procedure without consulting the government in Ottawa on it, as the minister in charge didn't originally seem aware of it. However, they will need some sort of authorisation to continue providing protection, but the government have been so consumed with other issues at this moment that nobody is going to stop and think about it unless there is a formal request coming from London.
I don't claim to speak for the majority of the UK mate, but if most Brits feel the way that I do, then fück em. They've made their bed, now let them lay in it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

They're neither diplomats, government officials or royalty, so I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago, and fook'em.

Enough warnings. Thread banned, points awarded. Next time gets you a month off.
I feel that’s a bit unfair. He is just giving us the other side of the coin. He may be wrong, but then again he may be right. Annoying, yes, but he does have a point, tenuous it may be, but he should be heard.

Then tough!
Edited to add: Where did they come up with this 'internationally protected persons' bollõcks?
Unfortunately, the chleb/victim/instagram culture will continue to give them a platform when Harry is no longer a significant member of the Firm, and Meghan has lost her 'Hollywood glamour' appeal.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I feel that’s a bit unfair. He is just giving us the other side of the coin. He may be wrong, but then again he may be right. Annoying, yes, but he does have a point, tenuous it may be, but he should be heard.
He has a point. Just one point. Despite it being wrong, he repeats it over and over and over and over.

It's still wrong, so he repeats it again.

Like baked beans for every meal, he's too repetitive.

As well as being contrary for the sake of it. An argument isn't just contradiction!

The_Duke

LE
If he could make his point without referring back to every other gripe, grumble or disagreement he has with other posters then fair enough.

Unfortunately he can’t, and has been warned time after time to keep to the topic and avoid the cross thread bitching and handbagging.

Patience has run out.

He has a point. Just one point. Despite it being wrong, he repeats it over and over and over and over.

It's still wrong, so he repeats it again.

Like baked beans for every meal, he's too repetitive.

As well as being contrary for the sake of it. An argument isn't just contradiction!
Yeah, I know but he does raise some valid points. Are we reliant on what the Daily Fail tells us?
@stacker1 does grate on us, but he does have a point.

Latest Threads