Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or he could literally transition and become Queen Charlie, he would be untouchable from the press then and the woke massive
Queen Charlene, Shirley? It sort of works if you say it in an Australian accent.

Queen Charlene, Shirley? It sort of works if you say it in an Australian accent.
Surely that's Queen Charlene, and don't call me Shirley

Having done a sub-editing course some years ago with a former Fleet Street sub, I’d very much say yes.

The nationals have very experienced and expensive lawyers on call 24 hours. Anything contentious gets checked and most of the time they get it right. Were they not, and they got it continually wrong, they’d have been sued out of existence long ago.

Granted, they may sail close to the wind and spin, but there are lines they won’t cross because fundamentally they want to stay in business.*

Sorry if that upsets the ‘it’s all lies’ merchants.

*Labour’s ‘don’t trust the traditional media’ line at the last election was particularly disingenuous. I’d still far rather trust the traditional outlets than social media.
I also had a mate who use to run part of the printing presses for the Mail. They all knew what the editors did even back then, they allude to something, knowing that its normally not enough to called a lie, but just enough for it bellend readers to jump to conclusions and get frothy mouthed. Like tying Meghan to people getting murdered because she ate an avocado.

Sometimes they will print an outright lie and take the risk that they wont be sued. Contrary to popular belief, when you sue a newspapers, if you dont win and/or dont get awarded costs, the lawyers are rarely working for free. William Roach won 50k in damages, his legal fees were 120K. Or they will rely on people not wanting further publicity.

Phone hacking, Hillsborough, Iraqi torture, Diana death, the list goes on.

Most news is quite boring and/or expensive, they wouldnt sell newspapers with boring stories and they wouldnt make much money if they had to invest in real news, so they print stuff that gets people wound up, because people will continue to pay them so they can be angry.

As I understand it, if Charles declines the monarchy or abdicates he does so for his entire line. That means Andrew would become king.
He doesn’t automatically - Abdication would require an Act of Parliament, and the terms of his departure from the throne would be set in that. The same would apply for disclaiming, since the line of succession is covered by parliamentary Acts.

Edward VIII disclaimed for his heirs, but this was to prevent a possible succession crisis. Wallis Simpson was unable to have children, but the fear was that were Wallis to die, or Edward to divorce her after a couple of years, he might remarry. If that new marriage led to a son being born while George VI was still on the throne, there would be questions as to whether Edward’s child should - by virtue of the order of succession being male primogeniture- become King. By disclaiming for possible heirs, Edward’s instrument of abdication ensured Princess Elizabeth’s status as heir apparent.

If Charles said ‘I’d love to do the job now poor Mummy has left us, but I’m of an age where the most profitable thing I can do for my country is to open the odd village fete and make organic biscuits’, he could abdicate (or he could pre-emptively choose HMQ’s (say) 122nd birthday as the time to disclaim) in favour of his son. Parliament would then pass the appropriate Act (with the usual suspects attempting to amend it to abolish the monarchy) which would set the new line of succession as William, George and his heirs and successors, Charlotte and her heirs and successors, Louis and his heirs and successors, Mr H Markle-Mountbatten-Windsor of Vancouver, etc, etc.

I also had a mate who use to run part of the printing presses for the Mail. They all knew what the editors did even back then, they allude to something, knowing that its normally not enough to called a lie, but just enough for it bellend readers to jump to conclusions and get frothy mouthed. Like tying Meghan to people getting murdered because she ate an avocado.
Haha. Good try but sorry Stacker but your “mate who used to run part of the printing presses” has no more insight into editorial stuff than anyone else- and probably a deal more antipathy. Print workers felt rather let down after Wapping.

My twopenny’orth is that it’s as idiotic to believe nothing the tabloids say as it is to believe everything.

Haha. Good try but sorry Stacker but your “mate who used to run part of the printing presses” has no more insight into editorial stuff than anyone else- and probably a deal more antipathy. Print workers felt rather let down after Wapping.

My twopenny’orth is that it’s as idiotic to believe nothing the tabloids say as it is to believe everything.
Yeah, after wapping, he worked on the presses well before, which is why I said 'even back then".

Tabloid stories tend to be more truthful when they are directly quoting someone who is named and that someone is connected to the story. They rarely do. Possibly because real life tends to be boring, so they need to either lie or exaggerate the truth because thats what makes them money.
Im sure everyone can see the difference on how the Guardian/Mirror reports on Boris Johnson compared to the Mail/Sun. If the newspapers were honest they would all be running the same story about him, but that doesnt sell quite so well.

Yeah, after wapping, he worked on the presses well before, which is why I said 'even back then".

Tabloid stories tend to be more truthful when they are directly quoting someone who is named and that someone is connected to the story. They rarely do. Possibly because real life tends to be boring, so they need to either lie or exaggerate the truth because thats what makes them money.
Im sure everyone can see the difference on how the Guardian/Mirror reports on Boris Johnson compared to the Mail/Sun. If the newspapers were honest they would all be running the same story about him, but that doesnt sell quite so well.
Your pal would still have zero extra insight into matters editorial- just that before Wapping he might have thought they were all on the same side!
And yeah, what you’re describing is what’s known as an angle. Most grown-ups know where each paper is on the political spectrum and either buy what roughly fits in with their own prejudices or buy something else and “aim off.”
Or, more commonly these days, don’t bother buying a newspaper written by proper journalists at all, instead choosing to believe any old bollocks posted by an idiot in their online echo chamber of choice ;-)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Your pal would still have zero extra insight into matters editorial- just that before Wapping he might have thought they were all on the same side!
And yeah, what you’re describing is what’s known as an angle. Most grown-ups know where each paper is on the political spectrum and either buy what roughly fits in with their own prejudices or buy something else and “aim off.”
Or, more commonly these days, don’t bother buying a newspaper written by proper journalists at all, instead choosing to believe any old bollocks posted by an idiot in their online echo chamber of choice ;-)
He went out drinking with with all members of the firm. I'm pretty sure he and everyone else in the trade were fully aware of the bollocks they printed.
We agreed then, newspapers lie to make money? It took a while but we got there eventually.

woger wabbit

War Hero
I think if the monarchy is to survive they ought to skip Charles and give it straight to William. The only one who is, as yet anyway, untainted.
But like Harry he is always talking about their mother Diana and how her death has given him mental health issues, it does not bode well for a stable Monarchy, I think Charles is a better bet in the short term, imho

He went out drinking with with all members of the firm. I'm pretty sure he and everyone else in the trade were fully aware of the bollocks they printed.
We agreed then, newspapers lie to make money? It took a while but we got there eventually.
You are trying to use what you consider to be a connection with the “inside track” to give weight to your own skewed views. Presumably your mate is a bit of a dick if he went out drinking with people he despised? Or are you telling fibs about something you know fuckall about?
In reality a guy from the press hall knows (and knew) as much about editorial decisions and strategy as the man in the street.
And yes, I’ve got no problems with your blinding revelation that newspapers lie- some more than others... and as they are businesses it would be odd if they didn’t aim to turn a profit.
But it’s naive idiocy to imply that newspapers lie all the time.

Jasenite

Swinger
It'll be about 3y. Harry will enjoy the freedom and novelty of not having a host inane things to open but he will initially miss the military gig. Meeting and socializing with the B list (for the A list will know where the royalty is) will be fun.

Then he will miss his mates in the UK, his brotherly banter, family, Coleman's Mustard, real ale, and general British things. He will start to resent the fun is wife his having and the desires she has he has given in to without finding enjoyment in the same.

They will grow apart and she will start banging a few other blokes - but it will be Harry's fault - as will be the "being pushed out of the RF for being a woman of color".

So in about 3y they seperate.
Hmmmm, yes, and if she's so proud to be a woman of "color" why did she have a nose job to decrease her nostril openings?

Hmmmm, yes, and if she's so proud to be a woman of "color" why did she have a nose job to decrease her nostril openings?
Hold up! Did you run that statement past The Stacker Truth Tracker?

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Charles currently doing great business with the Duchy of Cornwall Estate which make a tidy profit.
Among others the The Oval Cricket Ground & the Sicily Islands among a bit he owns.
Be a nice little earner for William & of course the Prince of Wales gig which is probably good.

And then the rest of the estate Harry was lined up for, he now gets sweet fcuk all, good move megan!
When it dawns on the ginger nut he has lost out sure the marriage will be as steady as the belgrano was!

Latest Threads