Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Sussex Royal motor vehicle is accelerating towards the stone wall of Windsor Castle.

I fear it will not be too long before we discover whether the car had airbags, ABS and collision avoidance.

Fire up the wrecker, it's going to be messy.

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
I think these two will bust the gig once Miss Piggy dies. And what a stupendous gig it's been. Millions of pounds a year unearned income, feted wherever you go, palaces, land, servants, the finest of everything. The level of luxury and ease of life enjoyed by royalty is incomprehensible to most normal people. It's clear now these morons thought they could change the world just by telling everyone else what to do, and then doing the opposite themselves. Now it's been pointed out that's not how it works, they'll be forced to sup with neo-criminal banks and money lenders, unsavoury billionaires, and general trash no sane person would go anywhere near. Anyone with half a reputation will avoid them like the plague. (Remember the look on Miss Knowles's face as they propositioned the Disney fella?) He'll be back with his tail between his legs sooner rather than later.

I think these two will bust the gig once Miss Piggy dies.
That’s beyond crass. Many who support Republicanism also recognise what a class act our Queen is.
Who do you suggest should step forward and take the baton in this glorious future Utopia you predict?

TamH70

MIA
His Tonyness of the Hague?

Awol

LE
What complete idiot advised them that it was a good idea to say to HM 'We could use our titles if we wanted to, but we'll do you the favour and not use them'?

This is arrogance bordering on threatening.

UKTAP

LE
I think these two will bust the gig once Miss Piggy dies. And what a stupendous gig it's been. Millions of pounds a year unearned income, feted wherever you go, palaces, land, servants, the finest of everything. The level of luxury and ease of life enjoyed by royalty is incomprehensible to most normal people. It's clear now these morons thought they could change the world just by telling everyone else what to do, and then doing the opposite themselves. Now it's been pointed out that's not how it works, they'll be forced to sup with neo-criminal banks and money lenders, unsavoury billionaires, and general trash no sane person would go anywhere near. Anyone with half a reputation will avoid them like the plague. (Remember the look on Miss Knowles's face as they propositioned the Disney fella?) He'll be back with his tail between his legs sooner rather than later.
Even as someone who thinks that having a hereditary Head of State is indefensible in the 21st Century, it is obvious that Her Maj has done a decent job for a long time and has been a good servant to the country.

Although she isn't perfect, to call her Miss Piggy is indeed very crass. Especially when she is handling her moron Grandson's waywardness very well.

You'll miss her if Charles ever becomes king...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
What complete idiot advised them that it was a good idea to say to HM 'We could use our titles if we wanted to, but we'll do you the favour and not use them'?

This is arrogance bordering on threatening.
They take advice?

It'll be about 3y. Harry will enjoy the freedom and novelty of not having a host inane things to open but he will initially miss the military gig. Meeting and socializing with the B list (for the A list will know where the royalty is) will be fun.

Then he will miss his mates in the UK, his brotherly banter, family, Coleman's Mustard, real ale, and general British things. He will start to resent the fun is wife his having and the desires she has he has given in to without finding enjoyment in the same.

They will grow apart and she will start banging a few other blokes - but it will be Harry's fault - as will be the "being pushed out of the RF for being a woman of color".

So in about 3y they seperate.

"Woman of color?"

She looks like some chav slapper who has overdone the tanning salon, not exactly a zippitydoodah hottentot ffs.

This is some sort of game for lack of a better description, they move to Canada then carry on that the firm and Cabinet Office have no jurisdiction over the word royal. As @terminal pointed out, they can’t use the word as a business name over here unless they get special consideration. I really don’t see the Canadian government going against the monarchy no matter how much Justin wants to have a 3-way, Betty is Canada’s Queen, Harry and co are no marks in the grand scheme of things this side of the pond.......
One of the links in this post by @Archibald had this interesting tit bit
It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons.
So it sounds like the security is sorted out. I would not be surprised if that meant this security was being provided at public expense. One possible scenario is that Canada provide the security when they are in Canada, and the UK provide the security when they are anywhere else.

As you said, there's not much of a celebrity circuit in Canada, and what elites there are tend to keep a relatively low profile. The elites do go to each other's weddings, spend summers at each other's cottages, and the wives go shopping with each other, but they tend to do most of it out of the public eye, as this is not a society that looks kindly on those who seek to flaunt their status in public excessively. This limits the amount of trouble the pair can get into, if we define "trouble" in terms of unfavourable publicity.

If they keep their heads down in Canada the Palace will likely be happy with that. BC it turns out may a good place for that due to the privacy laws there, although that has yet to be tested in court. The social life in Toronto or Montreal though may prove to be more to their taste in the long run, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

To carry on with the speculation, if the UK are providing the security when they are elsewhere, that may come with some limits. Security involves people and budgets, and those people have families and those budgets have limits. Trips outside Canada or the UK may require planning and approval so that the appropriate personnel with the appropriate knowledge can be provided and the appropriate arrangements made with the destination country. I'm not involved in providing security for the Royal Family and so I have no first hand knowledge of this, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.

If this is true, and again I note that it is speculation, but if it is true, then the Palace may have a long leash on the couple through the simple practicalities of providing security. The couple can wander about the relatively safe (in terms of generating unfavourable publicity) kennel run of Canada, but going anywhere else involves either standing at the doorway with leash in mouth looking up at the palace and asking to be let out, or else doing without security. Conflicts with the Palace may revolve around this issue.

The above is pure speculation and not a prediction, but it's something to keep an eye on.

I don't know what the two really have in mind for themselves, and I'm not sure they really do either. I wish them the best though, and if they do decide to settle down out of the public eye they've probably picked a good place to do it in.

£6m a year in security is £60m over a decade and £240m over 40y.

If you adjust for inflation that £240m is more like £350m. Can you image - we are going to pay 1/3 billion for these utter cunts. That's half a squadron of Typhoons or a Type 31 frigate!

Latest Threads