Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The critic's complaint about the painting is that he feels it doesn't capture the smile and cheerfulness of Kate as she actually is.

He provides some photos as examples of how he feels she should have been portrayed.

To be honest, in the painting Kate looks a bit tired, although there is a slight hint of a smile. This is in contrast to how she usually appears in photos where she looks as if she can barely restrain her boundless energy.

I won't criticize the artist on this matter however, as I don't know if there are traditional stylistic requirements for a royal portrait which precluded it. A more life-like representation may have resulted in the portrait looking out of place when set alongside other royal portraits going back centuries. The artist may have compromised with a slight hint of a smile.

In other words, the criticism of the portrait not capturing her true spirit may be valid when viewing it as a stand alone piece of art. However, this may not take into account the context of the portrait needing to fit in when hung alongside other royal portraits.

If I have any complaints about the portrait it's about William having his hand in his pocket. Ten extras for that man!
In my untutored opinion.
It has a child like quality; as if painted by a 12 year old.
It's a shit painting.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, perhaps you can do better, write to the Tate and offer your services. Personally, I'd love to achieve that 12 year olds painting standard.
You have a good point, and if tried it'd be stick figures all the way.

That said I didn't particularly like the photo either from a layman's point of view, while taking into account other poster's points about poses and so forth. I thought the background was particularly anodyne. Personal taste I suppose but I would have expected a little more from a professional.

We all have our talents and while I can't draw or paint I can (jealously) appreciate the work of those who can. I don't suppose the artist would be great in a classroom so we all have our skills.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Megain seems to have been very quiet the last couple of days . Perhaps she's been off to visit her dad .
Online rumour control has it she is spending a bit of time in a local hotel. 5 Star natch.

I wouldn't have posted it normally but it struck me that all the talk about their marriage is if they are getting on, if it is loveless, if she is a good mother and so on. Negative rumours and speculation which doesn't seem to augur well for their future.

Compare that to the chatter about William and Kate's marriage and it's the total opposite.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Neil Sean reckons that Voldemeg has definitely binned the UK as an option, though Ginger either hasn't completely or doesn't want to.

(my bit)
After the UK he will be devastated because he thought he could be coming back, or possibly more important, he was looking for a bolthole, which will now be far less of an option and is now trapped in LA.

Anyway their next step is using the Obama's as a template and want to emulate them in the podcast world. The Obama's have just changed platform to get a very good deal and this is what they are looking to do.
However I think they have missed a couple of important points. The first is that you actually have to produce some podcasts, the word some meaning a few more than one.
Secondly you have to be popular and with your name as an audience puller, which the Obamas have. Do they? Another surprise coming their way..
They seem to flitting from potential deal to potential deal, the numbers in the sky without making them real by actually doing some work, just the way many of us mentally spend our big lottery win.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Online rumour control has it she is spending a bit of time in a local hotel. 5 Star natch.

I wouldn't have posted it normally but it struck me that all the talk about their marriage is if they are getting on, if it is loveless, if she is a good mother and so on. Negative rumours and speculation which doesn't seem to augur well for their future.

Compare that to the chatter about William and Kate's marriage and it's the total opposite.
Local to her Dad, or her Montecito home?

Are their finances so bad that Ginge has sent her out to work?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, perhaps you can do better, write to the Tate and offer your services. Personally, I'd love to achieve that 12 year olds painting standard.
Sorry if my opinion offends.
Never suggested I could do better.
I just don't feel this one fares well against some other royal portraits.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sorry if my opinion offends.
Never suggested I could do better.
I just don't feel this one fares well against some other royal portraits.
Not at all offended, you claimed a 12 year old could do better, implying that it was a childish doodle, I suggested that you should show your work as clearly you could do better. I'm always eager to see an artist's work, I can pick up many tips from those much better than me, you see.

The critic's complaint about the painting is that he feels it doesn't capture the smile and cheerfulness of Kate as she actually is.

He provides some photos as examples of how he feels she should have been portrayed.

To be honest, in the painting Kate looks a bit tired, although there is a slight hint of a smile. This is in contrast to how she usually appears in photos where she looks as if she can barely restrain her boundless energy.

I won't criticize the artist on this matter however, as I don't know if there are traditional stylistic requirements for a royal portrait which precluded it. A more life-like representation may have resulted in the portrait looking out of place when set alongside other royal portraits going back centuries. The artist may have compromised with a slight hint of a smile.

In other words, the criticism of the portrait not capturing her true spirit may be valid when viewing it as a stand alone piece of art. However, this may not take into account the context of the portrait needing to fit in when hung alongside other royal portraits.

If I have any complaints about the portrait it's about William having his hand in his pocket. Ten extras for that man!

Royal portraits are a very formal occasion, to stand through the centuries. A smile would be inappropriate.

...and also impossible to maintain accurately for the hours of repeated sittings. The previous portrait of Catherine, (pretty but rather too soft focus to portray the woman we now understand her to be) was done from a photograph selected from a variety of portraits taken outdoors by the artist.

Photography is the chance to capture the momentary essence of the person - for instance in this daylit 40th birthday shoot - or this fun shoot of the Queen who had always posed appropriately*, so Angela Kelly arranged for some fun 'fashion shots' it at the end of another shoot and suggested the Queen put her hands in her pockets Twiggy / Shrimpton style. Which again is where Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor gets it wrong with her filters, photoshop and even when she parrots that unique moment (missing the context and relevant propriety entirely - it is not just over-relaxed, it implies disengagement from the group in a formal social setting like a visit).

Mrs Mountbatten-WIndsor's constant mirroring implies a lack of an internal life. She exists of a plane of appearance which Diana did, to an extent and which Harry seems to follow. But Diana had empathy and did support her charities and patronages with continuing personal involvement, and while channeled and given structure Harry could also contribute. However Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor only has the power hungry internal chaos of deeply narcissistic behaviour to draw from

* the royal pocket code of conduct moment

edit scence

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
...and also impossible to maintain accurately for the hours of repeated sittings. The previous portrait of Catherine, (pretty but rather too soft focus to portray the woman we now understand her to be) was done from a photograph selected from a variety of portraits taken outdoors by the artist.

Photography is the chance to capture the momentary essence of the person - for instance in this daylit 40th birthday shoot - or this fun shoot of the Queen who had always posed appropriately*, so Angela Kelly arranged for some fun 'fashion shots' it at the end of another shoot and suggested the Queen put her hands Twiggy / Shrimpton style. which again is where Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor get is it wrong with her filters, photoshop and even when she parrots that unique moment (missing the context and relevant propriety entirely - it is not just over-relaxed, it implies disengagement from the group in a formal social setting like a visit).

Mrs Mountbatten-WIndsor's constant mirroring implies a lack of an internal life. She exists of a plane of appearance which Diana did, to an extent and which Harry seems to follow. But Diana had empathy and did support her charities and patronages with continuing personal involvement, and while channelled and given structure Harry could also contribute. However Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor only has the power hungry internal chaos of deeply narcissistic behaviour to draw from

* the royal pocket code of conduct moment
The thing is that Kate doesn’t need soft focus. She’s blessed enough that she can take the harshness of reality.

A mate has met her and says she’s even better in real life - that photos don’t do her justice.

Latest Threads