Harry and Megan: How long will it last?

How long

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe if she gives up her US citizenship she would be subject to the IRS tax clawback called an Exit Tax.
The tax is based on assets not current income. For some the tax can be brutal.
Below is the link to the least technical article I can find.
Forbes - Exit Tax
When I was in law school my very least favorite course was the IRS Code. Convoluted and tricky.

I also hope that if a divorce is potentially possible that Harry of Sussex does not become a resident of California. The community property aspects of California divorce law are very hard on the spouse with more assets.
My understanding also, and it happened to a friend who decided to give up her Green Card (she wasn’t a US Citizen) and move back to the UK following the sudden death of her husband. She had a considerable amount of money from her husbands death in service payout, pension, sale of a substantial mortgage free house, savings, etc., and the IRS decided they would like a third of it all.

There's issues with being a US citizen if you own a business abroad. This includes someone who was born and lives outside the US and is only a citizen because one of his or her parents was an American. US and Canadian tax laws do not necessarily mesh very well when it comes to business assets and US citizens (including people who were not aware that the US considered them to be citizens) in Canada have been financially raped by recent changes in US tax laws which were supposedly introduced to tax large companies hiding money in foreign tax shelters. There has been a surge of people renouncing American citizenship as a result. It supposedly takes a year or more as while they can't do much about what has already happened, they don't want to go through it again.

The US, Eritrea, and Myanmar are the only countries which tax people in this manner.
I have friends in Ottawa. The woman was brought up in Montreal but went to school at Harvard College and Dartmouth Medical. On a rotation through a NYC hospital she met a really nice US pediatric resident and they married. She did residency at Royal Victoria in Montreal while her husband did a fellowship in pediatric emergency medicine. Quebec decides they areas where doctors can practice and the Quebec government assigned her to an area three hours north of Montreal and him to Montreal itself. Naturally they voted with their feet and moved to Ottawa (Quebec wonders why they have a doctor shortage!!!)

As soon as the husband received his Canadian citizenship he renounced his US citizenship as they plan to remain in Canada and it avoided the mess of taxes in two countries. I think he said the fee to renounce citizenship is over $2000 and the paperwork took a year to complete.

I have friends in Ottawa. The woman was brought up in Montreal but went to school at Harvard College and Dartmouth Medical. On a rotation through a NYC hospital she met a really nice US pediatric resident and they married. She did residency at Royal Victoria in Montreal while her husband did a fellowship in pediatric emergency medicine. Quebec decides they areas where doctors can practice and the Quebec government assigned her to an area three hours north of Montreal and him to Montreal itself. Naturally they voted with their feet and moved to Ottawa (Quebec wonders why they have a doctor shortage!!!)

As soon as the husband received his Canadian citizenship he renounced his US citizenship as they plan to remain in Canada and it avoided the mess of taxes in two countries. I think he said the fee to renounce citizenship is over $2000 and the paperwork took a year to complete.
I'm not familiar with the cost, but the time of a year to renounce US citizenship is what I heard also.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nope. Criptkickers.
Nope, try again.
"Some sources suggest that the original name for the alliance, "Cribs", was a name narrowed down from a list of many options, and chosen unanimously from three final choices, which included the Black Overlords, and the Assassins. Cribs was chosen to reflect the young age of the majority of the gang members. The name "Cribs" evolved into the name "Crips" when gang members began carrying around canes to display their "pimp" status. People in the neighborhood then began calling them cripples, or "Crips" for short. A Los Angeles Sentinel article in February 1972 referred to some members as "Crips" (for cripples). Another source suggests "Crips" may have evolved from "Cripplers", a 1970s street gang in Watts of which Raymond Washington was a member. The name had no political, organizational, cryptic, or acronymic meaning, though some have suggested it stands for "Common Revolution In Progress", a backronym. According to the film Bastards of the Party directed by a member of the Bloods, the name represented "Community Revolutionary Interparty Service" or "Community Reform Interparty Service". Williams, in his memoir, further refuted claims that the group was a spin-off of the Black Panther Party or formed for a community agenda, the name "depicted a fighting alliance against street gangs—nothing more, nothing less." Washington, who attended Fremont High School, was the leader of the East Side Crips, and Williams, who attended Washington High School, led the West Side Crips.
Williams recalled that a blue bandana was first worn by Crips founding member Buddha, as a part of his color-coordinated clothing of blue Levi's, a blue shirt, and dark blue suspenders. A blue bandana was worn in tribute to Buddha after he was shot and killed on February 23, 1973, which eventually became the color of blue associated with Crips"

I posted a handful of those glaringly biased snippets in the CA thread yesterday as an example why such "news" papers are banned in that forum; they tend to be inflammatory, sensationalist journalism devoid of facts and full of opinion.

It's the problem with 24/7 news. Our once great papers have to increasingly rely upon "opinion and analysis" rather than the occasional news bulletins to fill the gaps.
The media, over the years, have been increasingly telling us what to think instead of giving us news and allowing us to form our own opinion. As printed media becomes increasingly less relevant as news is broadcast instantly and 24/7 so the journos try to spin news and attract us with clickbait and feed us their opinions. They're choosing what we do and don't read and they're spinning what they do print.
Trump tweets what he thinks so you know exactly what he says, Boris has started down that path broadcasting directly and avoiding the media. The media are very unhappy that he is taking their 'privilege' away from them (I never knew journo's were briefed twice a day in the HoP). Journos will have to walk to number 9 for their briefings soon and I suspect it won't be long before the government are communicating directly to the public, avoiding the media giving us their interpretation on whats been said.

I also hope that if a divorce is potentially possible that Harry of Sussex does not become a resident of California. The community property aspects of California divorce law are very hard on the spouse with more assets.
I can see method in the Duchess of Wokes intention to set up a future home in Commifornia.

poor Harry, as soon as he moves to Beverly Hills, game over, tilt, gimme all your money.

I posted a handful of those glaringly biased snippets in the CA thread yesterday as an example why such "news" papers are banned in that forum; they tend to be inflammatory, sensationalist journalism devoid of facts and full of opinion.

It's the problem with 24/7 news. Our once great papers have to increasingly rely upon "opinion and analysis" rather than the occasional news bulletins to fill the gaps.
Piers Morgan was talking about that very Buzzfeed article and made the excellent point that of the thousands of articles written about Kate and Meghan he was sure that he could find a set of stories which were diametrically opposite in that they praised Meghan and criticised Kate.

Revisit the juxtaposition your boyfriend posted......perhaps you'll grasp it.
I don't have a boyfriend. I understand you have nothing to say, I will just take that as an admission that you now realise it too.

Alamo

LE
It wasnt just the headline though was it? It went on (and ******* on) about predominantly black gangs (and murders/drugs/robbery).
A comment about 2 black rappers, a black NFL player and Markle saying her mother is African American.

Im all for taking the piss out of snowflakes who get upset that there arent enough black actors in European medieval tv shows, in this case I believe the Mail knew exactly what they were doing to whip up their readers, "Niggaz wit attitude? she sure is, ho ho ho".

It whips up the outrage mob against gypsies, Muslims and anyone else, why not a mixed race woman?
Saying things about black people is not inherently racist though, is it? If it were, we wouldn't be able to acknowledge their existence at all; which may be construed as being a bit, errrr, racist?

I can see method in the Duchess of Wokes intention to set up a future home in Commifornia.

poor Harry, as soon as he moves to Beverly Hills, game over, tilt, gimme all your money.
Actually that might be a smart move, California is a community property state, everything they earned since marriage is split 50/50 and you get to keep what you had before. If Harry is cut off from his family and not earning and she has a successful career he would be eligible for maintenance from her.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Nope, try again.
"Some sources suggest that the original name for the alliance, "Cribs", was a name narrowed down from a list of many options, and chosen unanimously from three final choices, which included the Black Overlords, and the Assassins. Cribs was chosen to reflect the young age of the majority of the gang members. The name "Cribs" evolved into the name "Crips" when gang members began carrying around canes to display their "pimp" status. People in the neighborhood then began calling them cripples, or "Crips" for short. A Los Angeles Sentinel article in February 1972 referred to some members as "Crips" (for cripples). Another source suggests "Crips" may have evolved from "Cripplers", a 1970s street gang in Watts of which Raymond Washington was a member. The name had no political, organizational, cryptic, or acronymic meaning, though some have suggested it stands for "Common Revolution In Progress", a backronym. According to the film Bastards of the Party directed by a member of the Bloods, the name represented "Community Revolutionary Interparty Service" or "Community Reform Interparty Service". Williams, in his memoir, further refuted claims that the group was a spin-off of the Black Panther Party or formed for a community agenda, the name "depicted a fighting alliance against street gangs—nothing more, nothing less." Washington, who attended Fremont High School, was the leader of the East Side Crips, and Williams, who attended Washington High School, led the West Side Crips.
Williams recalled that a blue bandana was first worn by Crips founding member Buddha, as a part of his color-coordinated clothing of blue Levi's, a blue shirt, and dark blue suspenders. A blue bandana was worn in tribute to Buddha after he was shot and killed on February 23, 1973, which eventually became the color of blue associated with Crips"
Every day a schoolday.

Breaking news, Harry said something when he was four

Fuck me! That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's firing a 'big white one' straight through it.

Bonus points for naming the literary source.

wooooah! Hold up!

ME!ghan played the African American card?

When did her mum move to ‘Murica from Africa?
Ha ha ha ha...... ME!ghan........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc, fucking etc,......

Chuck in the odd Gobment & Gruinard and you could win the trifecta of being a tit.

You fucking tit.

Saying things about black people is not inherently racist though, is it? If it were, we wouldn't be able to acknowledge their existence at all; which may be construed as being a bit, errrr, racist?
Saying bad things about black people when doing an article about a black person when those bad things have nothing to do with that black person is a bit racist though. The article was a bit light on the Hells Angels and Italian Mafia in the city, but was very vocal on the black gangs.

Piers Morgan was talking about that very Buzzfeed article and made the excellent point that of the thousands of articles written about Kate and Meghan he was sure that he could find a set of stories which were diametrically opposite in that they praised Meghan and criticised Kate.
He might be sure, but strangely enough he hasnt. I think everyone would be hard pushed to find a worse story linking avocados and murder.
I cant find the meme at the moment (its on twitter somewhere) of a selection of Morgan tweets slating Meghan.
Rather like the Daily Mail, he knows how to impress the angry mob.

Latest Threads