harrier San carlos 1982 FOD crash

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jaybee2786, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And the pilot had the cheek to ask for a fag after parking his harrier on our trench

Attached Files:

2. I take it he'd ejected? He had a lot of balls if he stayed in.

Did you shoot him down?
  3. No he stayed in it got out "said sorry and then asked for a fag".
    FOD = foreign object damage
  4. He stayed with it. Partial engine failure, landed heavily, complete engine failure thanks to FOD (IIRC, some of the PSP on the landing strip came loose and was ingested) and skidded to a halt.

On the plus side for the pilot, he did get a DFC for other actions during the war and ended his career as Chief of the Air Staff.
  5. Here's a close up of it,it had just returned from a CAP mission

Attached Files:

6. I watched that from a nearby hill, first time I’ve seen a photo of it. Apparently the plane had been damaged by a missile near miss and had to land on the pad rather than try and get back to the carrier. The pins on the pad started lifting followed by the planks, so the pilot turned the thrusts and shot forward ploughing the field up before landing in between some trenches we had dug.

I heard he climbed out gave the plane a kick.

Any landing you survive is a good landing.

7. After the war finished the harrier was moved to Stanley airfield and was supposed to have been sent back to the UK to be fixed, but one day a bored RAF storeman with a forklift drove his forks throught it "in the report he thought it was scrap and put his forks throught it so he could move it out of the way"
  8. You've got love the British Army.

In the midst of one of the most important wars in recent history, which was very much in the balence, you average squaddy will still go rubbernecking a crash a ripping the pish out of the RAF.

God love 'em.
  9. Very true but the guy rubber necking at the Harrier is a RAF REGT, and its his trench the Harrier is parked on.
  10. Are those snebs live or empty. not sure I'd be stood there :D
  11. The snebs where live, just under the nose of the HARRIER you will noticed it had been de-turffed as its the bullet catcher of the trench there where snebs on the floor of the trench and the guy rubber knecking the HARRIER was in the trench 3mins before it crashed
  12. Nice story but sadly not true.

The a/c (XZ989) was struck off Cat 5 in situ and was moved to RAF Stanley to await disposal.
  13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No way to tell,
    We used to fit a frangible nose cap behind the nose cone but they were'nt often fitted (pain in the arrse) but as the gear is still up the microswitch that disables the weapons when the gear is down would still be live.Just hope the growbag had the MASS (Master Arm Safety Switch) & the late arm off. 8O
  14. Tuesday 8 June
    Mark Hare and I are programmed to mount Ground Alert at the FOB. I have aircraft XZ989 which is carrying a number of known defects. On take-off I have to go through the limiter to avoid sinking off the ramp.

At the FOB I misjudge the height going across the side of the pad and lift some of the metal. I overshoot in order to see what damage has been done and at about 90kts there is a marked drop in thrust which is not corrected by pushing through the limiter. As a result of the rate of descent and the fact that I am pointing directly at a Rapier FU, I elect not to eject and the aircraft hits the ground very hard - the undercarriage is broken off and canopy broken. The aircraft, still under power, comes to a rest at the end of the strip, whereupon I shut the engine down and vacate. Sid Morris is quite surprised to see me.

Mark Hare orbits until the pad is clear of metal and then lands, refuels and returns to Hermes. Flt Sgt Cowburn who has spent some time at the FOB starts robbing the aircraft of valuable spares while I catch a chopper down to Fearless in San Carlos Water. There I have a good chat with Wg Cdr Fred Travers who has been manning the ASOC. We discuss the tasking net with regard to communications and priorities.

I spend some time with Captain Jeremy Larkins on the bridge. Clearly he is a superb leader and whenever the ship comes under attack he dons a flack jacket and gives a running commentary over the PA. Plymouth is hit at the entrance to the Sound and limps in for damage control. I spend a couple of hours on the Wardroom floor with Lt Cdr (Surgeon) Rick Jolly. However, he is called away once news is heard of the attack on Galahad and Tristram at Bluff Cove. The plan is for me to transfer to Intrepid after dark and return by sea to Hermes. However, while transferring to Intrepid the plan is cancelled as Intrepid is to go to Bluff Cove to help rescue operations. I therefore return to Fearless where I spend the night.

Ross Boyens and Nick Gilchrist arrive on Hermes with 2 more aircraft. We now have 4 with ALE 40 and the active I-Band jammer and one aircraft capable of firing Shrike ARMs.

Attached Files:

15. So he stacked it then?