Harrier crash near RAF Cottesmore - Pilot ejects

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Countryman, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7457288.stm

2. Shit!

Good to hear the pilot ejected safely though.

3. Glad to here the Harrier mate is ok.

What amazes me is the video footage. Obviously someone on the scene straight after. Apart from issues of disturbing the site, the hazards associated with a smoldering Harrier are quite naughty. Lots of horrible composite material not to mention whatever is left of POL. An inevitable fact of the medias 'do you have any pictures? If so, send them to us' culture. What if the bloke that took the footage obviously rushing to send it to the beeb is contaminated with horrible bits of carbon fibre and other nasties from the crash site? Claim? Does common sense get fecked off in the name of a 'scoop'? Common sense would dictate that 'burning aircraft wreckage. Might be a bit dangerous, I'll keep my distance' as opposed to 'brill, I'll get as close as possible so the Beeb can have this great footage of a smoldering wreck'? Fuckwit.

The Stn were on scene within seven minutes which is bloody good going. I'll bet the PCMIO had a fit to see people trudging all over his crash site.

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thats another one for Martin Baker!

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Not bloody half. That was rather seriously "Up Close and Personal".

Hazmat anyone?

6. Exactly. And the Harrier does have quite a few naughy cocktails of nastyness....especially when smoldering away to itself.

7. The Beeb said that the driver may have some spinal injuries. I hope he makes a complete recovery.

I also misread the title and thought it said: "Pilot ejaculates". So I was pretty sure I knew what caused the pile-in, and then ..... Oh, never mind.

MsG

E2A. Question: didn't they dissolve or amalgamate the county of Rutland yonks ago? When did they bring it back then?

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Part a):

He is bound to have massive spinal compression having banged out, and may even have to end up in traction. It comes as result of the explosive (litteral) exit.
    IIRC if a pilot hops out this way 3 times he is permanently grounded for health reasons (Not bad flying!!!). Flash can you confirm?

Rutland was incorporated into Leicestershire in 1974 and then re-established in 1997 after a long local campaign.

9. Radio said it was a navy pilot - getting hospital treatment now.

10. Cheers for that, Gremlin. Much appreciated, mucker. :D :D :D

I didn't realise that taking the Martin Baker option was so traumatic. So if you're really unlucky, you could have quite a short (geddit?) career as a pilot.

Anyway, I hope the fella is going to be OK.

MsG

11. Not too sure on the 3 strikes and youre out sketch. I think it may just be a case of satisfying the relevant medical board. But, banging out three times will make one slightly shorter and have the effect of reducing tollerance to any subsequent ejection rather critical. Banging out once is careless, twice is unlucky but three times is just taking the piss. :D

A couple of good Ejection sites;

Ejector Seats (Brit site)
    Ejection History (US site)

(They are pukka links too folks. Not my usual links to midgets getting fisted by Albino amputees..honest)

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I gather that with the new types of seat's that is no longer the case.Modern seat's use a progressive rocket motor as well as the 'shotgun' at the back of the seat.On ejection the spine can be compressed by up to 3 inches.
    With regards to the crash site,the jet will also have live ordanance in the shape of ERU cartridges in the weapon pylons and any training ordanance,Liquid Oxygen,Hydraulic fuel,Nitrogen in the Sidewinder Missile rails are some of the other things you will find on a jet.
    In 1989,one of our Tornado's crashed after a mid-air with a German Alpha Jet & we went up to the crash site.It took 2 weeks to sort the place out,recovering the bodies,making the scene safe for the AI peeps to attend & general securing of the area.

13. Getting a Martin Baker let down is always going to be traumatic (although a lot less traumatic than spanking in at mach 1.4, 60G and spreading yourself over a county). The forces required to seperate man/seat interface from a very fast aircraft (the seat envelope usually has to match the aircrafts) are fairly massive. Ie; chucking him out at up to mach whatever from high/low altitude aint going to be a comfy ride. The newer seats are less traumatic than the original single shot rocket seats but are still a wild ride.

Doddy Hay used to be MBs 'test dummy' back in the late 50's and early 60's when MB started playing with rocket seats. He achieved somewhere in the region of 10 live aircraft ejects and numourous test rig ejects. When he finished his career, he was almost a cripple and several inches shorter. His book 'The Man in The Hot Seat' (ISBN-10: 0002115263) is an excellent read.

He was madder than Mad McMad of the clan McMad.

[​IMG]

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I remember seeing films of him when I was doing my weapons training on the ejection seat phase.What he did took a set of balls a feckin lion would be proud of!
    But a lot of the seats now are computer controlled & gather data from the jet before the crew eject & adjust the seat profile accordingly.Combined with the new generation of survival gear as well,the pilots are better protected that before.Flash,did you ever see the clip of the US Navy A-6 Bombardier who's seat partially fired & he was left half out of the canopy.Now that would be scary!
    In fact the Russian K-36 is so advanced the septices were considering it for the F-22 Raptor.

Russkie bang seats..

Rusian seat in F22....????????

The ejection site