Harrier Crash Ejection Video - Kandahar 2009

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Pocoyo, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this has been posted before, nabbed it from PPRUNE.

Worth a look if you have not heard about this one from last year.

I understand that Pilot OK and flying again, probably an inch or two shorter than before!

Edited to add new working link;

2. Why does he fly the approach so fast, and with such a high sink rate? He then appears to over-pitch at the flare, and judging by the change in engine note, attempts a go-around.

Looks like he screwed up to me - or was there some major technical fault?

3. Yes well done stab....and when did you qualify as a Harrier pilot?
  4. I don't need to be a Harrier pilot to recognise a non-stabilised approach, a high-sink rate, and an over-pitched late flare.
  5. Well I don't know the facts and until I see a BOI result it would be unfair to even speculate.

From what I do know about Harrier pilots in general they are very switched on cookies. There are too many possible causes to this particular event but to suggest from a position of ignorance that the pilot "screwed up" is naive and a bit reckless.
  6. That was why I asked if there had been a major technical fault which caused him to be so fast on final.

FWIW, I found a reference here to say there was no technical fault - you need to browse to "losses", then "2009", and find the incident.

7. For the record, it was the last comment you made that made you look like a twat.

Hope this helps.
  8. He is not making a vertical landing - he is making a conventional landing - so no different to any other jet with mild wing sweep. He is clearly way too fast, and overpitches.

Are you a pilot? I thought not.
  9. Of course, the Wolverhampton Aviation Group is an authoritative source...
  10. I'm not sure if the website you have linked to can be classed as an official source, not saying it isn't, just not certain.

Also the BOI findings may be out and I have missed them, that said I would be very surprised if they were as there is no mention of it on other aviation forums and this sort of thing gets tongues and fingers wagging, especially if the findings are "pilot error"
  11. Code:
    Of course, the Wolverhampton Aviation Group is an authoritative source... 
    Look at where Bob Dunn gets his information from...
  12. Stab, I can think of at least 50 reasons why this could happen, one of which is indeed pilot error but as you have already made your mind up through a perceived understanding of aviation then I will not try to convince you otherwise.

Mainly because I don't know and I'm not prepared to assume.
  13. I get the impression it was actually coming in with a lack of power. If you've ever spent along time around Harriers you will appreciate that theu are not the quietest of planes, even landing conventionally. IIRC, it is also SOPs in Harriers to switch the engines to full power and back again on approach (I don't know why, but I suspect it is to ensure they can abort a landing if required), which could account for the sudden engine increase, although it does seem very, very late.
  14. Who?

Care to give us a clue? I can't be bothered to spend more than 10 seconds on that website.
  15. I haven't made up my mind - that was why I asked if there had been a technical fault.

But then I found that reference which suggests that there was no technical fault. I'm still open to suggestions as to why he was so fast on final. Some perimeter threat?