Harperson wants to put women in charge of banks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Harriet Harperson want to put women in charge of banks Mail and this is money I suppose its not unreasonable for a person who's principle qualification for her job is that she is female to imagine that lack of balls is actually a qualification for anything. Unfortunately what she fails to realise is that she and her other Labour wimmin shortlist colleagues are useless.

Of course this is the sort of drivel that will play to her cloud cukoo land supporters who still imagine that the main qualification for any job is to not be a straight white male.

Individuals should be treated as individuals. Look for the best person for the job - not some one who ticks a PC box.

That said I don't suppose it would have made much difference if the banks had been run by black disabled lesbian single parent mothers with drug habits.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Actually its quite smart.
    They want to stimulate the economy by spending our way out. They want to encourage banks to lend more.
    Install humans with highly developed shopping instincts in key places - brilliant :D
  3. Man in charge, woman in charge? I really don't care but imagine, one week every month it will be murder trying to extend your overdraft.
  4. For an example of how positive discrimination ostensibly to break the so-called "glass ceiling" is a spectacularly poor idea, look no further than the Government. Blears, Smith, Harman; united by uselessness.

Hoping that the Equalities Bill runs firmly into the sand.
  5. Positive discrimination: It's still discrimination. The Americans mostly got over this shite in the 1970's, the fact that Labour are resurrecting Cold War-era equality politics is just another indication that they are out of ideas.
  6. I'm not a lawyer, but I think what she's proposing is illegal under EU law.
  7. I don't agree with gender / race / sexual orientation or other pigeon-hole driven short-lists, but it is worth keeping in mind that the City is still quite patriarchal both in regard to upper-echelon hiring and promotion (especially to Boards) and equality of pay. Unlike public bodies, the City has secret and floating pay-scales, bonus allocations and job descriptions, so it is very hard to prove who is paid how much for doing what. It will be very interesting to see what information ends up being forced from the banks as to pay bands and the total remuneration packages of male and female peers.

As for those who’ve bored on about useless women in high street banks, I have absolutely no doubt, none at all, that the men who work in those places are totally and utterly professional, head and shoulders above their female counterparts in every way and with computer skills Bill Gates can only dream of… :roll:
  8. ... but you've got to admit they're all equal.

Mind you, the so-called men in NuLab are as useless as the women so there is no need for an Equalities Bill as they are equally useless.
  9. Oh yes.....recognition at last! :roll:
  10. I'd question the professionalism of the manager who told you he'd had to sort out a mess in another branch, let alone the fact that he told you it was a female manager: he's obviously not heard of reputational risk!

True, but the example you chose to use could have been balanced with a comment that other women are capable of doing the job! To be honest, if they're as much of a shower as you state, I'm surprised that the branch has not been taken over by a hit-squad: either no-one is complaining about the service (or lack thereof) or the complaints are getting lost in the post!